+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Songs That Drive You Insane

Originally posted by william8686
    There's one song which is so irritating and annoying and it is being overplayed in the radio. It is something similiar to the ketchup song, but is much more terrible than that. Have you guys heard 'The cheeky song' by the Cheeky Girls?? I bet you will go crazy after listening to it a few times. And the lyrics are just simply absurd. The worse song in history!
    William, I happened to catch The Cheeky Girls performing "The Cheeky Song" on "Top of the Pops" a couple of weeks ago. What a ridiculous song!

That Michael Jackson, I mean Justin Timberlake song gets on my last nerve. And that other Michael Jackson clone, can't think of his name, that song drives me nuts too.

Originally posted by jodaar
    M&M is overrated in my humble opinion. All his songs sound alike. Same repetitive loops over & over. His voice never changes at all. I could care less about him being offensive. He's just a skinny kid trying to provoke people. I respect his accomplishments but not his work...if that makes sense.
    Yes, I understand what you are saying. I still like his stuff b/c it's so catchy, even though I don't agree with most of what he's actually saying!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I just wanna make it clear that it's not the offensive lyrics that turn me off. I grew up listening to Ice-T, NWA & 2 Live Crew in grade school, so I'm pretty desensitized to the offensive content. I still enjoy a lot of the more explicit rap music. I just don't feel that M&M is all that talented. He's a one trick pony who plays to the angst of the teen crowd. Maybe if his lyrics got a little deeper, he varied his delivery a bit & his background music was more edgy (less bubblegum poppy), I could enjoy him. Realize that most of the hip hop community has little respect for what M&M is doing (selling out a culture). That's where I'm coming from. But if you like the guy, like him. I respect that. I know I spent most of my life defending the music I listened to. I'm just giving my opinion on him, not judging others'.

FORT Fanatic
    I think that Eminem's album/live sound and his radio sound are really different. I do agree that the music is really overproduced on radio, which makes it sound very "bubblegum", which is the case for just about anything they play on the radio. I really liked his stuff from 8 Mile. Some of his songs don't even have a chorus, so they can't be accused of being repetitive, but that's not the stuff that gets played on radio.

Personally I don't think that the hip hop community can accuse anyone of "selling out a culture" without being completely hypocritical, but that's just my opinion. How is Eminem's take on hip hop culture any different or less valid than any other artist's?

I do think it's funny to listen to the old school rap that I used to shock my parents with, and hear how tame it is compared to the new stuff.

I'm a new member of the "Jenny from the Block" hater's club.

I agree, Jill, in that the few of Eminem's songs that are played on the radio OVER and OVER are the ones that are catchier, more "poppy."

Maybe it's just me, but when I listen to the CD, all of the songs seem distinctly different. (I especially like "Hailey's Song", which he wrote for/about his daughter. )

Ah, Jenny from the Block. (Yeah, dating Ben Affleck sure proves your street cred). But as bad as it is, "Dear Ben" is worse.

Personally I don't think that the hip hop community can accuse anyone of "selling out a culture" without being completely hypocritical, but that's just my opinion. How is Eminem's take on hip hop culture any different or less valid than any other artist's?
    To maybe put things in perspective, Nelly is also considered an embarrassment to a lot of true hip hoppers. There's really no message behind the booty rap & senseless violence these commerical acts promote. True hip hop is the voice of the people, social protest, political opinions, original thought, art. It's not all about the bling bling & the hood or the thong song & the MTV beach party or even about ticking off your parents. But of course, that's the kinda stuff kids from the suburbs buy. You just don't hear street music on the radio. That's where a lot of the animosity comes from. There are dozens upon dozens of different genres in the hip hop / rap world. A lot of people don't realize that.

True hip hop is the voice of the people, social protest, political opinions, original thought, art. It's not all about the bling bling & the hood or the thong song & the MTV beach party or even about ticking off your parents.
    Amen to that! Classic quote, Jodaar!

Also, I personally don't even think of Nelly as a rap artist. He's just pop, to me. "Take A Ride With Me" and "I Am Number One" and even "Hot in Herre" don't begin to reprsent anything resembling true rap music. I like the songs, but I recognize them as more pop than hip hop.
    Last edited by KylieGrant; 12-30-2002 at 11:40 PM.

William, I so agree with you. There's only so much of 'we are the cheeky girls, you are the cheeky boys' that anyone can take. Someone should ban that song.

+ Reply to Thread