+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russian Duo tops British charts with "dirty old man" market

Russian Duo tops British charts with "dirty old man" market

I read something about this in Time, and thought it was hilarious, if only because they've really tapped a great market.

Russian Pop Duo Retain Top Slot in British Charts

Sun Feb 16, 2:17 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Russian pop duo Tatu held onto the top slot in the British singles chart for the third week, the Official UK Charts Company said Sunday.

Tatu, with their single "All the Things She Said," sparked fury in the media over accusations they target the "dirty old man market" with lesbian kisses and schoolgirl outfits.

The BBC has said it will not screen the pair's video which features Julia Volkova, 18, and Lena Katina, 17, wearing school uniforms, kissing and cuddling.

Straight in at No. 2 this week was music graduate and BBC "Fame Academy" runner-up Sinead Quinn with her debut single "I Can't Break Down."

Quinn pushed Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" down to No. 3, while Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child held onto the No. 4 slot with "Stole."

The Appleton's "Don't Worry" -- the second offering from Appleton sisters Natalie and Nicole since they split from successful girl group All Saints -- was another new entry at No. 5.

"Songbird" by chart veterans Oasis fell three places to No. 6, but Daniel Bedingfield's "If You're Not The One" re-entered the top 10 at No. 7.

Blazin' Squad's "Reminisce/Where The Story Ends" was the top 10's third new entry at No. 8.

Eminem's "Lose Yourself" slipped three places to number nine, while David Sneddon's "Stop Living The Lie" dropped to No. 10.
    And before you think this is just a British thing, you should know that Tatu is also climbing up the American charts.

The scary thing is that, the pair claims that they are doing this for publicity's sake. They have boyfriends.

'dirty old man market' huh. well. what else will they think of next?
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

I saw the video. It's pretty stupid.

More importantly, the song is really bad. It's just an excuse for young girls to prance around in skirts and kiss.

Apparently it's working.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

"All The Things She Said" moves up from #30 to #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week, its eighth week on the chart...

Well, I just watched the video on-line, and it's not a very good song. The girls can't lip-synch to save their lives.

Of course, it's an English version of their original russian "Ya Soshla S Una" - so maybe the video's actually them singing in Russian, and they didn't bother to re-shoot the close-ups.

They definitely censored most of the video before airing it here. Most of the scenes consisted of them running around in the rain singing, not kissing or cuddling. That was why I was a bit confused when I found out that the BBC had decided not to air the video.

It's a catchy song, but I don't really understand why it's flying up charts all around the world.

I caught them on a couple of the late night shows--Jay Leno & Jimmy Kimmel. They kiss in the middle of their performance, but the camera cuts away. Totally exploitative. I wouldn't mind it if it they were really in love, it's the fact that they're only doing it for the money that bothers me!!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    I saw the uncut video on line and does look like it was lip synched. Its a catchy song downloaded a few other not that bad for the club life. I cant wait till everyone gets up in arms about theam over here. I remember what they said about Brittney, shes tame compaired to some of the pics these girls have been in

+ Reply to Thread