+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Britney Spears says she held son after ‘horrifying ... encounter with the paparazzi’

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Mav, go on www.dlisted.com they have all the pics. Apperantly some websites were threatened with lawsuits so they had to remove the pic. But Dlisted still has theirs up!.
    If she is truly preggers again....i feel sorry for those kids. She has NO business being a parent!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

How incredibly irresponsible of her! You mean she was in such danger that she couldn't take a minute to strap her baby into the carseat. It doesn't take that long. She could have done it while waiting for the bodyguard to return. I doubt if they were trying to break into her car. What gets me is she drove that way for two miles. It doesn't sound like they were following her. If she was truly in danger and needed to quickly get away, why not pull over and strap the baby in after leaving the parking lot? She'll at least get a visit from CPS. However, I doubt they really do anything.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr..._US-SPEARS.xml

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Photographs showing pop star Britney Spears driving a car with her infant son in her lap, in apparent violation of motor safety laws, caught the attention of child welfare authorities and ignited a media uproar on Tuesday.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a deputy paid a visit to Spears' home in Malibu to obtain "contact information" at the request of the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services.

"We were contacted by DCFS to obtain contact information from the Spears for them," said the spokesman, Luis Castro. "What they're going to do with the information we don't know. It's not our investigation."

A spokeswoman for the Family Services Department, Louise Grasmehr, declined comment on the Spears incident. But she said her agency routinely sends social workers to any homes where a child has been reported to be placed in danger, including the failure to properly restrain a baby in a moving car.

Meanwhile, Spears, 24, issued a statement insisting that she is a good mother and that incident in question was the result of a "frightful encounter with the paparazzi."

Pictures published in the New York Post and elsewhere on Tuesday showed Spears at the wheel of her sport utility vehicle, holding her 5-month-old baby, Sean, on her lap. A man identified as her bodyguard is shown next to her in the front passenger seat.

According to the Post, Spears drove for at least two miles along the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on Monday.

A source close to Spears told Reuters that the incident occurred after the singer had driven to a Starbucks shop with her son strapped into his car seat in the back of her SUV.

She moved the baby to her lap after stopping at the coffee shop to let her bodyguard go inside, then became unnerved as photographers swarmed around the vehicle as she waited for him to return, the source said. When the bodyguard got back in the car, Spears quickly drove off with her son still in her lap.

"I had a horrifying, frightful encounter with the paparazzi while I was with my baby," Spears said in a statement issued through her publicist. She said Monday's episode reminded her of an incident last summer in which she was "trapped" in her car by a throng of photographers.

"I instinctively took measures to get my baby and me out of harm's way, but the paparazzi continued to stalk us, and took photos of us which were sold to the media," she said. "I love my child and would do anything to protect him."

Under California law, automobile passengers are required to be secured in a child-safety seat or booster seat until they are at least 6 years old or weigh at least 60 pounds.

The photos of Spears and her baby drew widespread media attention, even becoming a subject of discussion on the popular morning television show "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Spears, who has kept a relatively low profile since marrying dancer Kevin Federline in September 2004, is planning to return to the spotlight this spring with a guest appearance on the NBC television sitcom "Will & Grace."

Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Britney Spears is a complete idiot. Get a grip. If something had happened to that baby, air bag deploying or Britney stepping on the gas instead of the brake slamming the car into something, she would have blamed the press. I buckled my kids into car seats when they were babies and they are now 24 and 21. It's the frickin law and she should at least be cited. And the next time she makes some asinine comment about child rearing, I would hope that the news source inserts a little disclaimer pointing out her lapses.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Gotta have a license to own a dog, or to catch a fish. Any IDIOT can have a baby. Clueless twit is right.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Spears, who has kept a relatively low profile since marrying dancer Kevin Federline in September 2004, is planning to return to the spotlight this spring with a guest appearance on the NBC television sitcom "Will & Grace
    Low profile???? What? She's in front of us every week doing something else stupid.

I have nothing to add beyond what has already been said about this latest lapse of parental responsibility. Sadly, I don't think she'll even get a slap on the wrist.

"Cuz when you're a celebrity, its adios reality....."
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

As parents, most of us have made some really foolish mistakes at some point, we've just been lucky enough that nobody has photographed our bad decisions! I'm not condoning what she did, but I know there are some things I've done as a parent that I wish I could undo. Parenting is a learning process and I am extremely thankful that my errors are not on video or film for all the world to see!

I can understand her panic and not taking the time to restrap him. From what I get from the story is he was on her lap while the car was parked - not uncommon to do - but when it was time to leave she panicked from the paparazzi and just drove off. If you feel scared you aren't going to think about things such as pulling over, restrapping, etc. You will want to get as far away as possible. She is a new mother, and a celebrity one at that who has to now look out for her baby as well from all the crazies, and I think she truly just panicked. A poor decision yes, and it could have ended badly, but hopefully she's learned a lesson from this and it won't happen again.

Quote from the article: "I instinctively took measures to get my baby and me out of harm's way, but the paparazzi continued to stalk us, and took photos of us which were sold to the media," she said. "I love my child and would do anything to protect him."

I'm not really a Britney fan but I believe her.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-08-2006 at 10:56 AM.

I don't believe her at all. And I have a 6 month old. She knows what kind of hoopla follows her every waking moment. She KNOWS that just going to starbucks is going to be a big event. Are we really to believe that there were no paparazzi around when they pulled up. None when she reached around and took her son out of his seat (which is very hard to do from the front in a rear facing carseat) None when she put him on his lap, and then BAM! They started swarming around her acting in a frightening manner, so the second the bodyguard got back she sped off *coughBScough* Apparently, they cleared the F out of the way real quick, cuz there are none buslting all around her in the photos. If it were so bad why did'nt she at the very least pass the boy off to the bodyguard. Were the Paparazzi IN THE CAR? No. They were safe in the car, no one was going to bust through and attack them. She could have taken the time to lock the doors, roll up the windows and put the boy back into his seat the same way she took him out. She wasn't even scared enough to roll her window up. Please.
    Blaming the paparazzi has become an easy exscuse for dumb celebs to use every time they get caught doing something stupid... Girl needs to start sending someone to fetch her coffee if she is that fearful for her baby. Or making it at home
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

You can't tell me that big, burly bodyguard dude wouldn't have been out busting a few heads if they were posing a danger to Britney and her child. That's what he gets paid for. I also find it hard to believe that she wouldn't have a cell phone in the car to call the police if there was a throng of photographers trying to bust in her car. All she had to do was lock the doors and put the baby in his seat. She was probably just worried that someone would snap a picture of him that she couldn't make any money off of.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I didn't say she was smart, I just said I believed her that she was scared. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly how the scenario unfolded. I was just relating that as a mother myself that has made some stupid mistakes, while although hers was dangerous, she was reacting to a situation. But apparently everyone knows more about the story than I do and she had no reason to be scared at all. I don't follow her antics too closely so I didn't really read much about the situation and was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that something must have happened to scare her enough to flee with him on her lap. But it appears this is just another day in Britneyland and that she is really just that dumb.

She has a lot to learn - hopefully it will be enough to get the child to adulthood

From TV Guide.com http://www.tvguide.com/News/Entertainment/

BABY MISSTEPS: A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy paid a visit to the home of Britney Spears on Tuesday to question the pop tart about recently surfaced photos that show her driving an SUV with her 5-month-old son, Sean, on her lap. "[The Department of Children and Family Services] asked us to go out there and get some information," a sheriff's department rep tells the New York Daily News. (While there, did anyone take a long, hard look at the slacker dude squatting in the master bedroom? I digress.) Although Spears claims the downright dangerous seating arrangement was her reaction to "a horrifying, frightful encounter with the paparazzi," the agency that snapped the telltale pics maintains their shutterbugs "exhibited no aggressive behavior."
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-08-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I'm just puzzled why she was at Starbucks anyway, especially looking that trashy. She knows she's in the public eye. But, more to the point, if I had a gazillion dollars, I'd just dispatch one of my minions to fetch the latte for me. You can't tell me she doesn't have at least one personal assistant, or a layabout husband who could do the Starbucks drive-thru.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast