+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstrong, Sheryl Crow Break Up

FORT Fogey

Lance Armstrong, Sheryl Crow Break Up

Lance Armstrong, Sheryl Crow Break Up

I was very, very surprised to hear this news tonight. I thought they seemed so happy.

Read All About It HERE

Feb 3, 11:12 PM (ET)

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow have split, the couple announced in a joint statement Friday night. The seven-time Tour de France champion and the rock star announced their engagement in September. It would have been her first marriage and his second. He has three children from a previous marriage.

"After much thought and consideration we have made a very tough decision to split up. We both have a deep love and respect for each other and we ask that everyone respect our privacy during this very difficult time," the statement said.

Armstrong, 34, recovered from testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and brain to become the dominant athlete in one of the world's most grueling sporting events.

His seven consecutive Tour de France titles from 1999 to 2005 are a race record. He retired after winning his last race with Crow rooting him on.

Armstrong and the 43-year-old Crow met in October 2003 and began dating shortly after.

Crow called Armstrong the inspiration for her last album, "Wildflower," which was released in September.

She performed a free concert soon after in Austin, Armstrong's adopted hometown, to coincide with the ninth anniversary of Armstrong's diagnosis with testicular cancer.

"We've always had parties or celebrations on that day," Armstrong said in late September. "It was just a way to do something for a city that has done a lot of things for me. We're basically saying thank you for all the support."

Crow talked about being part of a celebrity couple in an interview with The Associated Press in November, saying she wasn't crazy about all the attention that goes with it.

She said celebrity magazines are more interested in seeing a couple break up than reporting on them being happy together.

"When we were rumored to have split, and when our publicists called these magazines to say we haven't split, the magazines were all so disappointed because that's really what's selling, rooting for a couple and then they split," she said. "That's what sells the magazines.

"Why can't we just report things the way they are or see things for the good in them? ... It's an insidious energy."

Armstrong was living with Crow on a ranch in the Austin area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    I was very, very surprised to hear this news tonight. I thought they seemed so happy.
    Wow, that is surprising. They seemed like a very happy couple. I guess you never know what's going on behind the scenes.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Huh??????????????
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm not surprised, i saw it coming. Hope theyre both doing well.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    That makes the 2nd split this week that has completely stunned me (the other being Heather Locklear and Richie Sambora...)....now if only Richie would call me..........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    That makes the 2nd split this week that has completely stunned me (the other being Heather Locklear and Richie Sambora...)....now if only Richie would call me..........
    I was just going to say how this has been a week full of surprising breakups. Lance and Sheryl seemed like such a good match, and I loved Richie Sambora and Heather Locklear together. I guess this goes to show just how big the discrepancy between the fairy tale stories we read in the magazines and real life actually is.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

My theory is that celebrity couples jump on the chance to announce their split during the same time other couples do so that the focus is not just on them. If you think about it, usually as soon as a split is announced, a few more are suddenly announced around the same time. I think some of these couples were planning to split for a while but take advantage of the "split bandwagon" when it presents itself.

My other theory is that while it appears that celebrity couples split more often than the average folk, the reason they do split is because THEY CAN. When someone has lots of money at their disposal, and they realize the person they are with is not as good a fit for them as they first thought, it's much easier to split when you have the money to do so. I'm positive a lot more average (not rich) couples would split up if money was not a factor. Many people stay in bad relationships because they can't afford to leave. But celebrities can call it quits when they've had enough of the other person's crap because they know financially they will be fine.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-04-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Well, thank God, my future ex-husband is FINALLY free to be with me!
    Go Tigers!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    CNN.com

Armstrong pays tribute to ex-fiancee Crow

Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow pose for
    photographers at a December GQ Magazine party.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Lance Armstrong closed his weekly satellite radio show on a bittersweet note by playing ex-fiancee Sheryl Crow's song "Letter To God."

The seven-time Tour De France winner and the Grammy-winning rocker announced their breakup in a joint statement last week after "much thought and consideration," despite their "deep love and respect."

Armstrong acknowledged the split in his Sunday night talk show, "Armstrong Radio," on the Sirius Satellite Radio channel "Faction," saying he was "torn it didn't work out."

"Obviously, this week was a rough week for us, but that doesn't change the fact that Sheryl is an unbelievable lady, one of the smartest, wisest, most gifted people I've ever met and a person that I can honestly say has shown me a love that I never knew," he said.

"It's only fair that I say that, and it's only fair that we play one of her songs tonight and not run from the situation."

Crow, 43, has called Armstrong, 34, the inspiration for her last album, "Wildflower," which was released in September.

They announced their engagement in September. It would have been her first marriage and his second. He has three children from a previous marriage.

Following the breakup announcement, Armstrong reportedly canceled his scheduled appearance as a presenter at the 48th annual Grammy Awards on Wednesday. A call to the Recording Academy by The Associated Press was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Crow is up for three Grammys: best pop vocal album ("Wildflower"), best female pop vocal performance for "Good Is Good" and best country collaboration with vocals for "Building Bridges."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really, REALLY liked these two as a couple. They just always seemed really wholesome to me...also, I like how they look together. So, I was bummed to hear that they split up. What the hell could have happened though!?!? The September engagement wasn't that long ago, and now they're calling it off.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Premium Member
    You know, I had a feeling they would break up eventually - but more so once he officially retires from cycling. (Still have a feeling he might go for another yellow jersey in the Tour de France, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.)

I was thinking, once he retires, and won't have the daily hours and hours of training and the races and interviews and the spotlight on him, and has time to sit home and be a normal person, and she will still have her career as a musician, surely their relationship would be much different than recently, when they were both celebrities in the spotlight. Would they have enough in common? Would they find being together so much more often a good thing? Just glad they made the mature decision to end things before becoming another divorce statistic. Bummed it didn't work out for them, though, as I liked them as a couple.

So, this week has been Lance/Sheryl; Richie/Heather and I just saw that Ralph Fiennes is ending an 11 year relationship....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast