+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 25yrs since John Lennon died

25yrs since John Lennon died

Been listening to the radio this morning and can't believe it's 25 yrs since he was killed. Some lovely tributes being paid to him. Always loved the Beatles, although not as familiar with much of his solo work.
    God Bless you John!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I will never forget hearing Howard Cossell tell us about it on Monday Night Football. John Lennon was one of my heroes. I really thought the world of him & his music. Listen to Working Class Hero sometime. He pretty much puts it all out there on that one.

That is the one event where I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened. I was on the phone with a friend who had just moved to Vancouver from Toronto when I heard on the radio that John had been shot. My friend and I were both shocked, upset and crying and ended up staying on the phone and listening to updates long enough to create an $80 phone bill. My parents were infuriated and had no compassion at all about the event that caused this lengthy conversation. I think that may have been the last straw for me regarding our relationship.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Premium Member
    I remember where I was too. It's unbelieveable to me that 25 years have gone by. I was not a fan of his music but I did appreciate the importance of it.

If anyone is up for a John Lennon marathon, XM 40 Deep Tracks will be airing the 10hr. BBC story of John Lennon tonight starting at 7pm. est.

giz
    My friend and I were in the basement watching some movie of the week. We were devastated. The next day everyone in high school was in a zombie state. It was crushing, he meant so much to us.

I was just a baby when it happened, but my mother once told me that the day John Lennon died is one of the maybe five times she's seen my father cry - the other four being the births of me and my siblings and the death of his father. Since my dad was such a big fan, I was brought up on The Beatles and John Lennon and always get sad when I think about all the wonderful songs he never got to share with the world.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread