+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best CDs of 2005?

Oi how can i forget Mariah. Im so glad shes came back.
    Jenny Abby

Im soooooooo excited that my fave CDs are up for so many Grammy Noms....Mariah Carey was awesome, and John Legend is my absolute favorite of the year!!I knew he's be a hit when he sang TWO songs at a Kanye concert I went to....I remembered those songs a lot more than any of Kanye's, and thats saying a lot cuz Im a huge Kanye fan. Those 3 (mariah, kanye-late registration, and John Legend) plus Faith Evans (which really surprised me, I love the whole CD) are the CDs I rotate in my car player.

Gwen Stefani's solo CD and Green Day's CD were both great.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by brit2117 View Post
    Gwen Stefani-Love, Angel, Music, Baby
    Mariah Carey- The Emanicipation of Mimi
    Kayne West-Late Regestration
    Green Day-American Idiot
    Kelly Clarkson-Breakaway(can't belive how much I liked this one)
    Alicia Keys-Unplugged
    We have similar lists. I forgot to include Green Day.

FORT Fanatic
    Do you guys know which are Mariah's upcoming videos?

The Best CDs of 2005? Hmm. I have a feeling I'm forgetting something, but here are the ones that come to mind right off.

The Decemberists - Picaresque Easily my favorite album of the year. The lyrics are astounding, the music inspiring, and, overall, it gives you the same feeling of satisfaction from sitting down and reading a classic novel.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois If you haven't heard this, go. Do it. Run, don't walk. It will speak for itself much better than I can speak for it.

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans Yeah, yeah, everyone is accusing them of selling out by hopping onto a major label, but when I want to feel better about life, I listen to "Different Names for the Same Thing," darn it.

Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel I had fears that this would be another Exciter, but thankfully, I was wrong. The minute the distorted blast of "A Pain I'm Used To" hits your head, you know that everyone's favorite leather-clad synth trio still has some musical gold left in them.

Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have it So Much Better Where their debut was like a fun update on the stylish, angular sound of Wire in the '80s, this is like Wire meets The Stooges and The Beatles. How could that be a bad thing?

Weezer - Make Believe This one nearly wore out my CD player the first month after I bought it. Nobody does it better than Rivers.

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me, Satan The Stripes go bluegrass! Marimbas, mandolins, and pianos are our friends.

Sigur Ros - Takk Music and emotion are generally synonymous, but when one listens to an album like this, it becomes even more apparent. A good portion of this lovely album sounds like sheer joy infused into musical form. (Plus, where else will you hear brass bands, chimes, and bone-crushing riffs melded so seamlessly?)

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This to Memory This one has to receive more of an "honorable mention," but I defy anyone to listen to "Resolution" and not be moved.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinois If you haven't heard this, go. Do it. Run, don't walk. It will speak for itself much better than I can speak for it.

Love, love, love this CD! It's definitely my pick for the best release of 2005. I liked it so much that it was the first CD loaded on my brand new iPod! It's just an amazing, incredible CD, and I can't say enough great things about it.

BTW- Love your avatar, Mantenna.

FORT Anomaly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    The Decemberists - Picaresque Easily my favorite album of the year. The lyrics are astounding, the music inspiring, and, overall, it gives you the same feeling of satisfaction from sitting down and reading a classic novel.

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans Yeah, yeah, everyone is accusing them of selling out by hopping onto a major label, but when I want to feel better about life, I listen to "Different Names for the Same Thing," darn it.

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me, Satan The Stripes go bluegrass! Marimbas, mandolins, and pianos are our friends.

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This to Memory
    Yessss. Ditto and so much word to pretty much your entire post...

I'm also on the Aimee Mann and Martha Wainwright boat with geek the girl...

And then there's always my obsessive adoration for everything that My Morning Jacket does... and "Z" was no exception. So many of their tracks are haunting and stark, yet beautiful. And it seems they sort of wrangle their way through various genres seamlessly on this cd. It's pretty great overall, IMO.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction. Good stuff. I love everything they've done in the past, as well... this was an amazing follow-up to the previous two, and they're still going strong.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    5. Prairie Wind - Neil Young

Easily Neil Young's best album since 1991's glorious Harvest Moon. Actually, Harvest Moon is an excellent point of reference since Prairie Wind has a similar feel to it. Beautiful stuff. If you're a Young fan, you've probably already picked this one up, but I'd love for a younger audience to become aware of just how great a songwriter he is. To me, he's right up there with Lennon/McCartney as far as musical impact goes. He scared me big-time with that aneurysm this summer. Here's to hoping he'll be around to make lots of other amazing albums. If this one is anything to go by, he has at least a few minor masterpieces left in it, although I doubt he'll produce another After the Goldrush at this point in his life.
    I'm with you on this one geek the girl. I have been a fan of his music for decades. Ohio still gives me chills and Only Love Can Break Your Heart still makes me cry. After the Gold Rush, Harvest, Rust Never Sleeps, and now Prairie Wind. It's so good to have another great album and I hope like you said, that he'll be around for a lot more amazing albums.

Greenday - American Idiot

If that is not the best album of 2005 I don't know what is!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast