+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Holiday Songs

CCL
    Hate: Any oversung song. Stop with the extended trills and wailing, people! Jessica Simpson, I'm looking at you.

Love: Drummer Boy (not particularly the David Bowie version), Do You Hear What I Hear, Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (I'm a big fan of Pachelbel's Canon).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    Geek, thanks for that. I'm trying to summon up the enthusiasm to make a Christmas cd (which I've been doing for years, making them that is), and that gives me some really good ideas.

Among my favourites;
    Pretenders - Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas . I love her voice, she is wistful and yearning, and it's a great tune. Kind of prefer it to to the original!

Elvis Costello - St. Stephen's Day Murders. Great tune, funny and a little horrific.

Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt. Brilliant. She has such a dirty voice.

River - I have Robert Downey Jr.'s version, which is suprisingly good. Means a lot to me at the moment.

Let it Snow - Vonda Shepherd, she's got a lovely voice, and it's drowsy and romantic.

Tom Jones - Baby it's Cold Outside. I love this version. It sounds like a real conversation, a to-ing and fro-ing. And I love me some Tom Jones.

Macy Gray - Winter Wonderland. I love her way of pronouncing things. Schleigh bells ring! I like Cyndi Lauper's version of this too.

As for worst? I've got to say that at the moment I am wondering why I ever put Six White Boomers on my favourite Christmas cd.

Love Love Love LOVE Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas

Hate TLC's Sleigh Ride...WTF is all i got to say...no offense to TLC, but come on.

Best songs: Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer; Chipmunks Christmas Song (I love it every time I hear it), The Gift (Ashlyn Debison or Garth Brooks), All I Want For Christmas Is You (Vince Vance & Valiants), Silent Night, Oh Holy Night.....A shorter list for me would be worst Christmas songs.
    Worst: 12 Days of Christmas. See I told you that was a short list.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Best: the song by Greg Lake (can't remember what it's called) and Fairytale of New York by the guy from the Pogues (can't remember his name) and the woman who drowned in Mexico a couple of years ago (can't remember her name either).

Worst: Pretty much the rest of them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Worst: All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth.

Best: I Believe in Father Christmas by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. It doesn't get played very often, but it is truly a great Christmas song.

giz
    Oh Rattus, I forgot Fairytale of New York. Love that song. Shane McGowan did it when he was with the Pogues (that man is a - very - troubled genius). The woman was Kristy McColl (I think I've spelled her name right). That was v. sad when she died. I believe she was run over by an idiot rich guy in his motorboat.

Yes she was, giz.
    Apparently she was decapitated in front on her children
    So sad.
    I loved her voice.
    My favourite Christmas songs you will probably know, I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday by Roy Wood and Wizzard and Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    By & large, I can't stand Christmas music. Having said that, anything that brings David Bowie & Bing Crosby together in one of the weirdest videos of all time can't be bad. And "O Holy Night" makes me & my sister giggle like psychos for a variety of (really wrong) reasons and has for years (waaaay before Cartman's excellent version).

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    And Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer still makes me laugh if I'm in the right mood.
    Me, too!

Best : any version of The Christmas Song, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Let It Snow

Worst : Jingle Bells...thanks to my daughter, I've heard it at nauseum!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread