+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: music which changed your life

If I was to write about all the music that has changed my life I don't think I would ever be able to finish typing this post. So I will just pick the one that has impacted me the most.

I have lead a very sheltered life being a preachers kid and all. I was very limited in the things I could do (no drinking, dancing, jewlery....etc) and the people that I was allowed to associate with (being gay ruled you out of my friends category and I had very limited contact with people of other religions).

When I was 18 I was going back home to England for four years of college and I was stopping by NYC for a visit with my Uncle D before I went on to England. I had never seen a musical on Broadway and he asked me what musical I would like to see. I told him that I would like to see RENT. He asked if I was sure and I told him yes, as although I didn't know the story I had seen them on the Rosie show and was amazed.

My Uncle D took me to see the original cast of RENT and I sat in the center of the sixth row, having a whole new world opened up to me. This musical opened my eyes to so many things and helped me to realise how sheltered I was as a person. It also showed me that not everything that my church had taught me went along with my personal beliefs.

RENT totally changed my life and I know it was definetely for the better.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

One song that changed my life was Andy Griggs's song "If Heaven". It was released a few months before my uncle died of cancer. The song help me heal.

Drain my brain.
    Regina Spektor- The Ghost of Corporate Future. It changed my life for a few weeks.
    I drive down the street in a Rolls Royce car. Use hundred dollar bills when I light my cigar.

abrslr, my younger brother is obsessed with Regina Spektor at the moment. It's all he listens to. Maybe I should follow his example? He went to see her perform the other week and was absolutely mesmerized by her.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Drain my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    abrslr, my younger brother is obsessed with Regina Spektor at the moment. It's all he listens to. Maybe I should follow his example? He went to see her perform the other week and was absolutely mesmerized by her.
    Absolutely. She's wonderful. If you like fine quality piano playing, she's the one to dig. Her voice is heaven and her lyrics'll make you cry. Some of my favorites are "The Ghost of Corporate Future," "Samson," "Buildings," "Chemo Limo," "Oedipus," & "Carbon Monoxide." All of her songs are great though. Definately think about checking her out. It'll be worth your time.
    I drive down the street in a Rolls Royce car. Use hundred dollar bills when I light my cigar.

Sunsets - Powderfinger (It Was Played At A Friends Funeral)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12