+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Singer Marc Cohn Shot In Denver Carjack Attempt

Singer Marc Cohn Shot In Denver Carjack Attempt

TheDenverChannel.com
    Singer Marc Cohn Shot In Denver Carjack Attempt
    Police Issue Warrant For Suspected Shooter

POSTED: 3:00 pm MDT August 8, 2005
    UPDATED: 5:22 pm MDT August 8, 2005

DENVER -- Singer-songwriter Marc Cohn was shot in the head during an attempted carjacking early Monday in downtown Denver, and police said they have an arrest warrant out for the suspected shooter.

Marc Cohn was shot in the temple during an attempted carjacking in downtown Denver.

According to police, Cohn was in a van in the 1400 block of Stout Street when he was shot. Police said the suspect had attempted to carjack another vehicle without success prior to the shooting. The suspect tried to stop the van and fired into it and Cohn was struck in the temple, police said.

A publicist for Cohn said he was in the van with other band members. Cohn's road manager Tom Dube was cut by flying glass and had glass imbedded in his face and eye. They were driving to a downtown Denver hotel when the incident happened.

After the shooting, the gunman was able to commandeer another car and escape, according to police. The car that was taken is a 2005 gold Subaru Forrester with Colorado license plate 270 KUM.

An arrest warrant was issued Monday for Joseph William Yachteen, 26, in connection with the series of crimes. Police said Yachteen also goes by the name Anthony Andolini.

Security officers with the Regional Transportation District said that they questioned Yachteen Sunday night about a car parked on the light rail tracks in downtown Denver. When told police were on their way to assist in the investigation, the security officers said that Yachteen ran away.

Denver police are looking for Joseph Yachteen.

The officers said the chase eventually went to a downtown night club and that Yachteen was confronted again when he left the club. Yacheteen produced a silver handgun and told the officers, "I'm not going back to jail," they said. He ran from the officers and attempted to carjack the van Cohn was in before successfully carjacking the Subaru at 14th Street and Stout Street and making his escape.

The RTD officers said Yacheteen fired several other shots during the foot chase, but didn't hit anyone. They did not return fire.

An arrest warrant was issued for Yachteen charging him with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated robbery, attempted aggravated robbery and felony menacing.

Cohn was hit above his right temple by a bullet fired during a wild turn of events, according to his publicist. The bullet was lodged in his head, but was removed at Denver Health Medical Center. He was released later Monday. Police said his injury was not life-threatening.

Cohn's concert scheduled for Tuesday in Lawrence, Kan. has been postponed.

Cohn performed at the Denver Botanic Gardens Sunday night and in Boulder, Colo., on Saturday night. The Grammy award-winning singer is married to ABC News Anchor Elizabeth Vargas. She flew to Denver Monday afternoon to be with her husband. They were expected to return to New York City when he is able.

The search for Cohn's suspected shooter continued Monday and police asked that anyone with information on Yachteen's whereabouts to contact them at (720) 913-2000.

Cohn is best known for his hit songs "Walking In Memphis", "Silver Thunderbird" and "True Companion."

Additional Resources:
    Denver Police Department Press Release
    Marc Cohn Web Site

Copyright 2005 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Full Story

Premium Member
    I hope they catch that idiot. My heart skipped a beat when I read this, I am a big fan of Marc Cohn. Thank goodness he will be ok.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I just heard about this on Entertainment Tonight...I've also been a fan of Cohn and glad to hear he wasn't hurt more seriously.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread