+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Drop Out Of MTV Movie Awards Over Bush Dispute

Nine Inch Nails Drop Out Of MTV Movie Awards Over Bush Dispute

Nine Inch Nails have dropped out of the 2005 MTV Movie Awards following a dispute over their plan to incorporate an image of George W. Bush into their performance of the song "The Hand That Feeds." Stepping in to fill the void are the Foo

Fighters.

The announcement was made Thursday via a statement posted by Nails frontman Trent Reznor on NIN.com.

"Nine Inch Nails will not be performing at the MTV Movie Awards as previously announced. We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straightforward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop," Reznor wrote. "Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me. See you on tour this fall when we return to play in America."

MTV announced that the Foo Fighters would be taking NIN's spot on the show late Friday afternoon (May 27). Earlier in the day, in a brief statement, the channel expressed disappointment in Nine Inch Nails' decision to drop out of the broadcast.

"While we respect Nine Inch Nails' point of view, we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement. When we discussed our discomfort with the band, their choice was to unfortunately pull out of the Movie Awards."

Nine Inch Nails' label, Interscope Records, had no comment on the matter.

NIN had been scheduled to play the Movie Awards on June 9 along with Eminem and Mariah Carey (see "Eminem, Nine Inch Nails Tapped To Perform At MTV Movie Awards").

The 2005 MTV Movie Awards air Thursday, June 9, at 8:30 p.m., with MTV News' pre-show kicking off the evening at 8 p.m.

[This story was originally published at 2:59 p.m. ET on 05.27.2005]

James Montgomery
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/150...headlines=true

Good, now I'll be able to skip it.
    Ludicrous speed!

Exactly, Char.

Seriously, I've never considered NIN to be an "MTV" kind of group, so I'm kind of glad they're not doing it. It would have just been . . . odd.

we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement
    Coming from MTV? Ooh, that's downright laughable.

Eminem and Mariah Carey, can it get any worse?

I thought it was odd they were performing anyways. I have seen them live twice (Woodstock 94 and after 'Downward Spiral") ... they never translate as well on TV. So no big deal.

+ Reply to Thread