+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kylie Minogue diagnosed with breast cancer

Kylie Minogue diagnosed with breast cancer

Kylie Minogue has breast cancer

Singer Kylie Minogue has been diagnosed with breast cancer, leading her to postpone an Australian tour and cancel a Glastonbury headline appearance.
    "Whilst at home in Melbourne with her family this week, Kylie was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer," her tour company Frontier Touring said.

"Hopefully all will work out fine and I'll be back with you all again soon," the singer said in a statement.

Minogue, 36, has had a total of 37 hit singles in the UK.

Immediate treatment

She had been due to begin the 20-date Australian leg of her current worldwide Showgirl tour in Sydney on Thursday.

The tour company added: "She will undergo immediate treatment and consequently her Australian tour will not be able to proceed as planned."

BREAST CANCER BASICS
    Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK
    One in every nine women in the UK will develop breast cancer at some point in her life
    It is the leading cause of death for women aged 34 to 54
    Earlier detection and better treatments have improved mortality rates
    Physical examination and regular screening can detect a potential problem

Minogue said she was disappointed at having to postpone the shows.

"I was so looking forward to bringing the Showgirl tour to Australian audiences, and am sorry to have to disappoint my fans," she said.

Minogue, who rose to fame in the 1980s as an actress in the popular soap opera Neighbours and later launched a pop career, was due to play six shows in Sydney from Thursday.

She was also scheduled to tour Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth over the next month.

Having opened the tour at Glasgow's SECC Arena in March, Minogue had been due to end it with a headline appearance at the Glastonbury Festival.

HAVE YOUR SAY
    I hope she knows how much we are all thinking of her and supporting her through this
    Nikki, London

Australian concert promoter Michael Gudinski said: "She is a pretty fit, strong girl. I'm hoping and praying because the doctor found it so early that everything will be OK."

He added: "Our thoughts, and I'm sure all the legions of Kylie's fans, will be with her all the way."

Glastonbury festival co-organiser Emily Eavis said: "It's really sad news for Kylie. Our thoughts are with her and her family at this very difficult time."

Minogue had been due to close the festival at Pilton, Somerset, on 26 June. "It's much too early to speculate who may replace Kylie in the programme," Ms Eavis said.

Minogue's pop star sister Dannii said: "The news is very upsetting. Although as the cancer has been diagnosed at such an early stage we are all very optimistic that everything will be OK.

"We're all very thankful for the endless messages of love and support Kylie has been receiving - I know all your kind thoughts will mean the world to her as she gets better."

'Stab to the heart'

Former Neighbours co-star and boyfriend Jason Donovan offered his support to the singer.

"I sincerely wish her well with her treatment, Kylie is a strong woman who will fight this battle on every front," said Donovan.

Actress Anne Charleston, who also starred alongside Minogue in Neighbours, shared her sympathy with her, telling GMTV: "When I heard it was like a stab to the heart because it happened to me at that same age."

"I think she'll come through it fine. She's very healthy generally and I'm sure she will come through it."
    Producer Pete Waterman, who helped launch Kylie's pop career in 1988, said: "I am so shocked to hear this news, particularly since (songwriter) Mike Stock and I had a very poignant reunion with her at her recent Earls Court gig where there were a lot of hugs and kisses.

"My very best wishes go to her, and of course her family, at this difficult time."

Minogue has helped raise money for breast cancer causes over recent years and one of her skimpiest bras was sold at auction for 2,400 three years ago for Breast Cancer Care.

Breast Cancer Campaign spokesman Sangeeta Haindl said: "This is sad news about Kylie, a pop star that many of us have grown up with over the years, who has now been diagnosed with breast cancer.

"However, it is important to remember that this is not primarily a young women's disease and there are still 40,470 women diagnosed with breast cancer in the UK each year.

"This is why it's important that women are breast-aware and know the risks associated with the disease."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...ic/4554035.stm

I heard this on the radio on the way to work today. Very sad news. Only 36 yrs old. I wish her well and so glad that it seems to be in the early stages. She's a true Aussie superstar!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

My prayers go out to her.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Wow My thoughts and prayers go out to her.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Awww, what a terrible thing to happen. I love Kylie, she's such a beautiful woman. I hope her recovery is swift, and it's marvelous that's she's already done so much to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

What a shame. I hope her recovery is a speedy one.

I wish her all the best. My thoughts and prayers go out to her.

This is terrible I love Kylie Two women I work with have also been recently diagnosed. Each year I participate in a "Rally For The Cure" Golf Tournament. This year's really going to be personal.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Kylie, if you're out there, we're all here holding a good thought for your speedy recovery.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

It's been really positive to hear that lots of Aussie fans are donating their Kylie tour refunds to Breast Cancer charities.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

+ Reply to Thread