+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "JACK" New Trend or Penny Pinching??

"JACK" New Trend or Penny Pinching??

Does anyone have this new "JACK" format at radio stations? In Boston they changed a popular radio station on a thursday at 2:00pm in the afternoon. They fired all the DJ's and changed the format to the new iPod like shuffle and the music is hienous. It goes from Fleetwood Mac to KC and The Sunshine band to Steely Dan???? I'm not that young or old, but have not listened to Steely Dan in 15 years. Is this the new trrend for stations to save money on payroll get rid of the personalities that make you want to listen to that station in the first place? I for one do not like or want it. I have an iPod and don't have any of the music these stations are playing.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Yeah........ they just did that to one of our stations here in Detroit. It's now called DOUG-FM.

I actually don't mind the music, but I cannot stand the dj-less format, either. And then, they have these *commercials* that are talking about extreme sports and the like. Are people that listen to 70s and 80s music generally big fans of extreme sports? I think not.

from me, too.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

We have BOB-FM up here as well.
    The format is alll over the place. Wich I don't mind...
    but it's taken over 3 formerly Different Genre stations
    so Now it's half of the numbers on my radio dial.
    And if you hear a song and don't know what it is
    you won't be finding out... :nono
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Ours is called MIKE FM and it was the worse thing to happen to radio, a HUGE protest is planned in our area and a web site to bring the old station back has forced station execs to at least for now play the music from the old station. But they don't get it, DJless stations suck.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    they sort of did that to WPLJ in New York, but they do have DJ's.

I will admit to liking the format of songs though. I get tired of hearing new songs beat to death and hearing the same older songs in rotation forever. This allows a great mix of songs. I'm fond of it, but we didn't lose the DJ's (so far?!?)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-255627c.html

http://www.byrnesmedia.com/News/April2005/jackbob.html

Interesting concept, but the "newness" factor might wear out it's welcome pretty quickly.

Hmm, must be the same company doing it, ours is TED FM. I actually like it since they play a lot of 80's music. I can live with most of the other music but if a song comes on I absolutely can't stand I turn the station.

I hardly ever listen to radio these days (and when I do, it's the same indie stations I've loved for years), so I had no idea there was anything like this. It sounds bloody awful to me.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I'm in Detroit too, and frankly I love DOUG fm.

I'm so tired of hearing the same picked songs from different bands. It's been interesting to hear a whole different mix. Now, sometimes the mix is odd and I switch it off but I can last longer on that station listening to music then some of the others. I like the dj free format. While I like talk radio (Drew and Mike on WRIF and D & D on 97.1) I don't like DJ's most of the time.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I agree nlmcp, here's an example of what TED FM played during a particular hour yesterday

Do You Really Want To Hurt Me-Culture Club
    Just Another Day-John Mellencamp
    Shout-Tears for Fears
    Only Time(?)-Enya
    Lady-Styx
    Found Out About You-Gin Blossoms
    Rock of Ages-Def Leppard
    Talking In Your Sleep-The Romantics
    Donít know the next song that was played but I like it, itís got a line in it ďIím not sick but Iím not wellĒ kind of a punk song. If anyone knows what it is let me know!
    Your Love-The Outfield
    I Canít Help Falling In Love With You-UB40
    One On One-Hall & Oates
    I Would Die 4U-Prince

Mostly 80's which works for me!

We have Jack FM here in Denver too. And in Albuquerque, they HAD Fred FM, and now it is just Ed FM.

Jack's slogan is "We play what we want". I kinda like it. I put it on my pre-programed channels in my car. I don't listen to it often, but sometimes I put it on for one song, and end up leaving it there for the rest of the drive.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast