+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "JACK" New Trend or Penny Pinching??

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    We have Jack FM here in Denver too. And in Albuquerque, they HAD Fred FM, and now it is just Ed FM.

I'm in Denver too. When they first started they had this wild promotion where they gave out "Random Jacks of Kindness." I was the recepient of two. Once when I went to a movie at the Pavillons on a Friday night and got a free ticket and the second when I got a parking ticket. Inside the ticket envelope was a note from "Jack" and a check for $20. I thought it was kind of neat.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Wow, I've never heard of this type of radio station. Then again, I only listen to existing CDs and music.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    And then, they have these *commercials* that are talking about extreme sports and the like. Are people that listen to 70s and 80s music generally big fans of extreme sports? I think not.
    I disagree. I was heavy into extreme sports -- more so in my mid 30's on up. And I love 70's, 80's and classic rock. I highly doubt people listening to this type music have one foot in the grave.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I highly doubt people listening to this type music have one foot in the grave.
    I never said that they did. I also mentioned that I enjoy the music on the station.... so I'm not exactly certain how you took that as an insult.

But the commercials have a definite contrast to the style of music being played. I'm sure if you could hear them, you'd understand.
    Last edited by Broadway; 05-05-2005 at 05:10 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Are people that listen to 70s and 80s music generally big fans of extreme sports? I think not.
    Let me re-phrase. I took the above statement to mean that "people that listen to 70s and 80s music are not into extreme sports. Perhaps you weren't making an "age related" comment, or were you?

What actually was/is the meaning behind *your* comment?

Forgive the mention of "classic rock".
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Jewelsy,

It was a flippant comment based upon taste, not age. :rolleyes The "commercials" (they are more promo type advertisements than product commercials) are being read by a guy that sounds like he's about 16 years old with all of the hyper-ness and energy that would be more appropriate for our harder, more alternative stations, not a 70s and 80s soft rock station.

That is why I find them out of place. It has absolutely nothing to do with age, as I'd hardly be insulting myself, a child of the 70s and 80s, would I? The "commercials" simply do not fit with the style of music being played.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Forget Jack FM...I listen to Texie FM. I trust my own musical taste, not some DJBots.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

That actually sounds pretty cool - as long as they mix in ALL genres of music from ALL decades. I don't think they have anything like this in Houston...yet...that I know of.

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    I can't say that I'd ever heard of JackFM until reading this thread. Whatever warts it has, it sounds like a vast improvement over the typical "mix" of 10 songs and a barrel of commercials that most stations play.

Personally, however, I prefer shoutcast.com and its 8000+ "stations" as my source for "radio".........and viva.tv as my source for music video.......the latter being an MTV-like cable channel in Germany that offers dial-up and broadband streams, as well as an ecclectic mix of global pop music (although I suppose just having music makes it quite different than MTV).
    Last edited by Warhol; 05-12-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhol
    I can't say that I'd ever heard of JackFM until reading this thread. Whatever warts it has, it sounds like a vast improvement over the typical "mix" of 10 songs and a barrel of commercials that most stations play.
    this is why i love it. it's not the same top 10 hits recycled throughout the day. and it's not the same as our Mix station, which is music from "80s, 90s and today." it seriously plays music from all years and many, many different genres.

also, if you guys want to give it a go and listen online, the dallas station's web address is www.jackontheweb.com.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast