+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who is your all time favourite singer?

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar
    Seems like whenever I really get into a singer's music they die prematurely and tragically. My favorites as they are icons.

Stan Rogers, Jim Croce and Harry Chapin.
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

John, Paul, George & Ringo for sure. In 1990 I was fortunate enough to see Paul live in concert, and to this day hearing him sing the right song can melt me into a puddle of tears, just like those crazy girls from the 1964 Brit invasion documentaries.

That said, I also love Aretha, Gladys, Dionne, and Diana. . . Lionel Richie, Barry White, Marvin and Tami. . .Fred Schneider of the B-52s and Freddie Mercury of Queen. . . and whoever sang lead for Canned Heat (Goin' Up the Country totally personifies the late 60s to me). Sometimes I like the muppety sounds of Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Mark Knopfler too.

Call me weird.

My absolute favorite, hands down is Bruce Springsteen, he's got it all, he's a great singer, a great writer, just over all, a great musician, and good looks don't hurt either The E Street Band is great too, they all work really well together.

My other favorites are, in no particular order: Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, The Temptations, Dean Martin, Lena Horne, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Billie Holiday, David Clayton-Thomas(I love him solo, but I prefer him with Blood, Sweat and Tears, I just saw them in concert a month ago and they were great. There were a lot of new faces in the group, but they haven't lost their magic) Luther Vandross, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder and Ben Vereen(ok, I know he's not really a recording artist, he's an actor, but he does broadway and he's an incredible vocalist. The man gives me the chills)

My favorite rapper is definately Tupac Shakur.
    Val

"Well time slips away/And leaves you with nothin' Mister/But boring stories of/Glory Days, Well they'll pass you by/Glory Days, In the wink of a young girl's eye/Glory Days, Glory Days..."~The Boss

" Someone once said that dancers work just as hard as policeman, always alert, always tense, but see, policeman don't have to be beautiful at the same time." ~George Balanchine

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique; they are great because of their passion." ~Martha Graham

Tori Amos ~ hands down the best artist out there!

htp
    Favorite female -Bonnie Raitt Ever since I saw her perform with Frebo the bass player to a small crowd in Schwab auditorium , Penn State, late 60's early 70's

Runners up-Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell

Favorite male-this is tougher, right now I'm loving Lyle Lovett, but all-time, that's tough...maybe Lowell George, Little Feat.
    Gotta think about this some more

Hmmm... I don't know about all-time favourites, but right now my favourite singer is definately Eva Cassidy. I love her! (Definately not all time, I only discovered her a couple of months ago).

I'm also a big fan of Matchbox 20, Sarah Mclaughlin, Delirious, that's all I can think of for now...oh, except Clay Aiken, of course!!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

American Idol Fanatic IdolFreak05's Avatar
    I would say Kelly Clarkson, Cher, or Celine Dion they are amazing singers..

Guys would be Elton John..

Jeff Buckley hands down!!!!

FORT Fogey
    Um... can it be a group??? Then it would have to be The Eagles.. or maybe the Temptations

And of course, Clay!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpazticPavy247
    Id hafta say Jason Mraz... i doubt youve heard of him but oh well....
    Well, to paraphrase a line from "Berkeley Woman," as sung by John Denver,

"I'd no more love me one kind o' singer than drink only one kind o' wine!"

But as far as anyone I'm hearing on contemporary pop radio, next to Clay Aiken I'd say Jason Mraz is far and away my favorite male vocalist.
    Of course, I never get tired of Rod Stewart or Sting, either.

For females, 3 voices that I hear on radio now that really grab me are Allison Krause ('course, she plays a mean fiddle, too!), Tracy Chapman, and Natalie Merchant.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

+ Reply to Thread