+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-Tracks and albums

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

8-Tracks and albums

Before there were cassette tapes and CDs, we listened to our music on 8-track tape, 45's and LP's.

I listened to my parents 8-track tapes when I was younger and myy favorites were KC & the Sunshine Band, Donna Summer, Fleetwood Mac, and ABBA. There were no rewind or fast forward buttons and the songs were grouped in like 4 songs per track so you had to use crafty manuevers to get to the song you wanted to hear. Does anyone remember listening to a few minutes of a song on one track so you could switch tracks and listen to the song you wanted to hear?

My sister and I were constantly misplacing the little round adapter needed to play 45's so we often played them without using it. I had a little trick to keep the needle from skipping when I played records--I taped a penny to the top of the needle. It worked like a charm and was much better than having to suffer through a song skipping repeatedly when it got to that part of the record.

I can still remember listening to Peter and the Wolf on LP. It scared me to death and I would hide under the kitchen table while listening to it but it was my favorite story! Our record had a skip in it where they were talking about the little bird Sasha so it would get to that part of the story and then repeat "chirping merrily" until you went over to the record player and moved the needle past that part.

I'd almost be willing to bet that somewhere in my Mom's garage of horrors there are still some 8 tracks. (heck she's got everything else, I don't see why that would be an exception) I remember quite well listening to them as a kid....my Leif Garrett stuff was on 8 track, also remember listening to The Carpenters and Captain and Tenille cause they were my Mom's favorites.

I've still got a milk crate or two of albums in my closet (hey man, milk crates were big time dorm decor when I was in college )...I just can't bear to part with them. They range back from my childhood with (more) Leif Garrett, Kristy & Jimmy McNichol, and the Monkees....on into my teen years with complete collections of Duran Duran and Depeche Mode....and then a bit further on with 12" single versions of a lot of my favorite songs. I've even still got a stereo that has a record player to it, nothing great, but one of the last ones that I could find made that way so I can still enjoy the occasional trip down vinyl memory lane.

I've got 14 milk crates of LP's in my closet! (Big closet. ) Plus a couple hundred 45's. I don't play them much anymore, but I refuse to part with them. I'm taking them to the grave! (And yes, I vaguely recall using a penny to weigh the needle down.) My parents still have their 78's.

I also have about 40 or 50 8-tracks. We used to cruise around in a big old 1972 Chrysler when we were teenagers, and it had an 8-track player. The worst was trying to listen to Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album - the songs were so long that they didn't fit into the confines of the 4 "sides" of an 8-track, so the song would fade out and then fade back in when the machine switched tracks. Who the hell invented such a goofy concept? Thank god for CD's.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    believe it or not, i still have an 8-track recorder stereo component...its not hooked up but i still have it and it still works...8 track recorders were fairly rare, even in the 70's. everyone had a player but not many recorders.

I even have several blank tapes still in the shrink wrap, although, unlike cassettes, you could record over a pre-recorded 8-tracks and didnt necc have to buy blank tapes...i rememer recording "black sabbath, we sold our souls for rock and roll" over an old "Tony Orlando & Dawn" 8 track.

As far as albums go, i have nearly 1000 and last year i bought a CD recorder and am (slowly) recording many of my favorite albums onto CD. Its just so great to hear those needle pops.

Thank goodness that the rap/hip-hop genre included the use of turntables for mixing and scratching.

I have a great old "Techniques" turn table from the 70's. It was top of the line at the time but if it wasnt for rap Dj's, it would be hard for me to find replacement stylus needles or replace the whole turn-table if need be
    Last edited by Daddio; 03-11-2005 at 02:31 PM.

I recently inherited an 8-track recorder which I was told is still in working condition, but I haven't had the time to check it out. (Because I spend every waking moment at the FORT! )

What I really need to do is invest in a computer program to transfer my albums and cassettes to CD. (I already have the CD burner.) I'm sure it will only take about 5,000 hours or so.

I still have my Technics turntable too, as well as several cheaper ones.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    What I really need to do is invest in a computer program to transfer my albums and cassettes to CD. (I already have the CD burner.) I'm sure it will only take about 5,000 hours or so.
    Q, my CD recorder is an actual stereo component hooked up to my stereo. I dont do it through my computer, although I have a CD burner on my PC.

I like having a component as part of my stereo as i can transfer everything to CD, albums, cassettes, other CD's, stuff from TV you name it. I also am a musician (hence my screen name) and i have a cheap 4-track cassette recorder for making home recording. I can then transfer them to CD as well.

My CD recorder component cost me $299.00 so its not too, too expensive and very versatile.

I dont know how much the software would be to convert your PC. Probably less expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan
    My CD recorder component cost me $299.00 so its not too, too expensive and very versatile.
    Thanks for the info, G. The software would be cheaper, but your way might actually be more convenient for me.

By the way, welcome to FORT!

JR.
    I still have some vinyl, but my player broke about a year ago and I still haven't replaced it. I'm such a slacker.

In highschool my buddy had a '77 Jeep that had an AM radio/8-track. He was too cheap to put a radio in it, so we had to suffer. The only 8-track we were able to track down was KISS "Double Platinum", must've heard that 100,000 times

When I was a teenager we had a Chevy Van (the first car I learned to drive) that had an 8 track player. We didn't have many 8 track tapes though. My father finally broke down and bought a cassette adapter for the 8 track player. Ah, good times. Somewhere, I still have about 30 LPs. They include things like Carole King's Tapestry and the Eagles' Greatest Hits. I'm feeling very nostalgic now.

I got all my lp's, 45's, and kiddie story books. I got everybody from 1st pressing apple release Beatles White Album to the storybook "Snoopy Come Home". I love my vinyl. I have Kiss Double Platinum too, with the shiny platinum gloss to it still and ads for joining the Kiss Army.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast