+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8-Tracks and albums

My parents both worked at a record store, thats where they met, and my dad got tons of free records. We have our basement full of them. He is now selling lots of them on e-bay and making a killing. They seem to be making a bit of a comeback too, there is many stores in downtown Vancouver selling old and brand new ones.

the songs were so long that they didn't fit into the confines of the 4 "sides" of an 8-track, so the song would fade out and then fade back in when the machine switched tracks. Who the hell invented such a goofy concept?

My family had this 8-track of the 1812 Overture, and in the last movement it would fade out right at the end when all the cannons are being shot off and it's supposed to mimic a glorious victory in battle...then it would fade...then it would burst back on, cannons blazing, for the last 30 seconds of song.

We had my sister's musical taste in 8 tracks - ABBA and other disco-type albums. The Tchaikowsky was my brother's. He hated how she always had control of the player and saved up his allowance to buy an album he thought would annoy her the most - hence, the overblown Overture of 1812.

I love the albums I have on vinyl, but I just don't get them out very often. I'm so pleased with iTunes, it's hard to go back to having to monitor the needle every few songs.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I still have hundreds of LP's!! I can't bear to throw them out and, of course, none of them are valuable! Lots of 45's too. My stereo is pretty old, but I'll never get rid of it because it's so hard to find turntables now. Every time I move, I find a couple of those little 45 adaptor things under furniture - don't know how they get there.

My old 8-tracks are in my parents' garage. I had the soundtracks to Grease and Saturday Night Fever and, my personal fave, the Bay City Rollers (S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT! ). We had ABBA too.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu
    Does anyone remember listening to a few minutes of a song on one track so you could switch tracks and listen to the song you wanted to hear?
    Totally did that. I remember how the SNF soundtrack had great songs mixed in with not-so-great ones, so you had to get creative to hear the ones you wanted to hear!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

When I was a kid we briefly owned a used Volvo that had an 8-track player. We didn't own any 8-tracks so were stuck with the ones that were left in the car -- Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. If I had to hear "Love is Like a Butterfly" one more time I was ready to throw myself out of the car.

My parents had a lot of 60's-era LPs -- Mom had all the Peter Paul & Mary records, played so much they were worn sand sounded scratchy. Lots of Doc Watson, Joan Baez, the Beatles, etc. She sold them for practically nothing in a yard sale a year or two ago.
    Any bluegrass fans might appreciate this: I discovered at Christmas my grandfather has an autographed Bill Monroe album. He forgot he even had it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

OMG, that could be worth some real moolah, Lucy! What a find! I Bill Monroe.

All our Peter Paul & Mary records were played so much they are a litany of scratches.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Spad1918
    I got all my lp's, 45's, and kiddie story books. I got everybody from 1st pressing apple release Beatles White Album to the storybook "Snoopy Come Home". I love my vinyl. I have Kiss Double Platinum too, with the shiny platinum gloss to it still and ads for joining the Kiss Army.
    OMG...I still have the Kiss Double Platinum shiny album along with Elvis's last album "Moody Blue" which is a blue vinyl album. I have Donny and Marie, Saturday Night Fever, Willie and Waylon and the Outlaws with Jessi Colter and Johnny Paycheck, Barry Manilow Double Album Greatest Hits..I could go on and on...plus I have a sh*tload of 45's and 8 tracks still...I can remember blasting my dad's 8 track of the Eagles "Hotel California" and Boston "More than a Feeling".....Good ole days.........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12