+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ani difranco

ani difranco

can't believe i couldn't find a thread on her already - so, i'm starting one...

anyone listen to her?

anyone like her?

favorite songs?

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

I used to listen to her and I do like her but I havent listened in awhile. She is from Buffalo, NY and I used to think that was cool as I am originally from Upstate New York!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I'm a huge fan. I've been lucky enough to see her play...I'm thinking....probably a dozen different times, back when I was still living in Buffalo. Even if I didn't love her music, which I do, I'd be a fan simply because she's done some very cool things just as a human being. Example: there's a church in Buffalo, a very old (1800's) and very beautiful church, that was going to be demolished. Instead of letting that happen, she bought it and turned it into the Righteous Babe offices. (Link to article about that.) She's worked to save other architechturally significant buildings in Buffalo. You have to admire that. Or I do, anyway.

My alltime favorite song by her would have to be Untouchable Face, but there are so many that I love. If any of you ever have the chance to see her play live, I'd highly highly highly recommend you do so.

i know - i've been wanting to see her live for awhile now, but whenever she comes anywhere close it's either 1)we have absolutely no money 2)it's during the week or 3)we have something else that we have to do that we can't get out of. but, she is definitely on my list - actually right under tori of concerts that i must see.

the song that got me hooked on her was "you had time" - but, i love just about everything that she's done. and, yeah - even if you didn't like her music, you've got to appreciate what she has to say, what she's done, what she wants to do, and her drive to get it done. she's definitely a force.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I'm glad you started the thread. It's not very often you find any Ani DiFranco fan(s).. very eclectic music, musician and fans! Glad to see the Fort has some of us!

I'm a card carrying RIGHTEOUS BABE (yep, I've got the shirt to prove it! )

I've been a hardcore fan of Ani for so long, I can't remember exactly when or how it all started.. I've also been to a concert of hers. She came to Santa Cruz, California and played at the auditorium. Not the best place, but she rocked(as usual)! I lived in New Paltz, NY..upstate.. wish I had caught her in concert around there instead!

Hard to say that ONE particular song is my favorite..but, here are two that I LOVE to sing;
    ~
    "Hell Yeah"

life is a b movie
    it's stupid and it's strange
    a directionless story
    and the dialouge is lame
    but in the he said she said
    sometimes there's some poetry
    if you turn your back long enough
    and let it happen naturally
    oh, yeah
    hell yeah

I got a face like a limp handshake
    hair like an accident scene
    I've been waking up slowly
    savoring the same old dream
    and somewhere between
    the folds of your memory
    I was sleeping soundly
    oh, yeah
    hell yeah

'cause I like you
    but I know you don't know it
    I like you soo much,
    I talk to everyone but you
    and I wonder
    what you would think of this little number
    I wonder
    what you would say if you knew

If you don't ask the right questions
    every answer seems wrong
    I was a terrible waitress
    so I started to write songs
    and I don't know how I feel
    but I wonder if you feel like me
    do you ever get wrapped up
    in the folds of my memory
    oh, yeah
    hell, yeah

'cause I like you
    but I know you don't know it
    I like you so much
    I talk to everyone but you
    and I wonder
    what you would think of this little number
    yeah I wonder
    what you would say if you knew

there's a river of people
    that runs past my eyes
    and it's beautiful enough
    just to watch it go by
    but the trouble with water is
    she'll always leave you for gravity
    I never even told you
    I had a crush on you or anything
    oh, yeah
    hell yeah

life is a b movie
    it's stupid and it's strange
    a directionless story
    and the dialouge is lame
    but in the he said she said
    sometimes there's some poetry
    if you turn your back long enough
    and let it happen naturally
    oh, yeah
    hell yeah

"Shameless"

i cannot name this
    i cannot explain this
    and i really don't want to
    just call me shameless
    i can't even slow this down
    let alone stop this
    and i keep looking around
    but i cannot top this

if i had any sense
    i guess i'd fear this
    i guess i'd keep it down
    so no one would hear this
    i guess i'd shut my mouth
    and rethink a minute
    but i can't shut it now
    'cuz there's something in it

we're in a room without a door
    and i am sure without a doubt
    they're gonna wanna know
    how we got in here
    and they're gonna wanna know
    how we plan to get out
    we better have a good explanation
    for all the fun that we had
    'cuz they are coming for us, baby
    they are going to be mad
    they are going to be mad at us

this is my skeleton
    this is the skin it's in
    that is, according to light
    and gravity
    i'll take off my disguise
    the mask you met me in
    'cuz i got something
    for you to see
    just gimme your skeleton
    give me the skin it's in
    yeah baby, this is you
    according to me
    i never avert my eyes
    i never compromise
    so nevermind
    the poetry

we're in a room without a door...

i gotta cover my butt 'cuz i covet
    another man's wife
    i got to divide my emotions
    between wrong and right
    then i get to see how close i can get to it
    without giving in
    then i get to rub up against it
    till i break the skin
    rub up against it
    till i break the skin

they're gonna be mad at us
    they're gonna be mad at me and you
    yeah, they're gonna be mad at us
    and all the things we wanna do
    they're gonna be mad at me and you
    and all the things we like do

just please don't name this
    please don't explain this
    just blame it all on me
    say i was shameless
    say i couldn't slow it down
    let alone stop it
    and say you just hung around
    'cuz you couldn't top it
    ~

There are too many to post.. they're ALL great! Needless to say, I think all of my neighbors are fans of her as well, since they hear her (blaringly) a lot.
    I receive all of her information every month of what she's doing, where the concerts are and merchandise.

righteousbabe.com
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I've been able to see Ani in concert 3 times and I've even been lucky enough to have met her a couple of times. The first time I saw her I was blown away...The raw energy and the fire in her was something else. There really is no other concert I can compare it too...It was just AWESOME!!!

Over the last couple of years she seems to have lost some of that...she's turned into a "Kinder, gentler Ani" Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not what I look forward to when I see her show. I want "angry, pissed off, I hope they find you in a pool of your own sick" Ani

...And now she's into "Spoken word" ---Other then "Self evident", well, not really Ani to me.

Don't get me wrong...Still love her and highly reccomend her show to anyone who hasn't seen it. We just need someone to piss her off again!!!!
    "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"

maveno...hell yeah is one of my favorites, too. of course, i have a lot of ani favorites, but this is one i find myself listening to a little more than the others.

i knew there had to be more ani lovers here - couldn't believe there wasn't already a thread.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Ani DiFranco gets personal, and political, on her new album

Click here for original story.
    Wednesday, 02/23/05
    By MAYRAV SAAR
    The Orange County Register

Ani DiFranco's new album, Knuckle Down, touches on topics
    both personal and political. She's making a conscious effort
    to be more politically involved as well, recently endorsing
    Howard Dean for Democratic National Committee chair.
    AP FILE

Ani DiFranco has emerged from hibernation. Wiping the sleep from her eyes, she says she finds herself happier about life, angrier about politics and more willing than ever to let kindred spirits help propel her creatively.

Knuckle Down, released last month, is the singer's first co-produced album born in collaboration with fellow musician Joe Henry.

But you might not guess it from listening to it: Knuckle Down is as starkly personal as her completely solo effort Educated Guess (for which she received two Grammy nods). In this album, she not only exorcises past relationship demons, but she owns up to who she is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DiFranco paused from her harried tour schedule to answer some questions about the album, the music industry and Howard Dean.

Q: Knuckle Down largely deals with the demise of your marriage. But co-producing is a marriage of sorts. How did your relationship prepare you for this new partnership?

A: I've spent a few years in solitude, which was long overdue for me.

I had plenty of time to sit with my own thoughts. At a certain point I said, ''Enough of my own thoughts, for crying out loud.'' I felt like it was time to crawl out of my hole and collaborate with other Homo sapiens.

Why Joe Henry?

We hit it off right away. We found ourselves after the show every night talking about making music, talking about making records. One night I heard myself saying, ''Hey, want to co-produce my next record?''

I had three songs written since Educated Guess. I let go of my band, and my (ex-husband) was also my recording engineer. So that whole crew that I made a bunch of records with is not around these days.

I thought, ''Now what?'' So I thought a totally new situation would be good for me.

I really like to not be the source of all the ideas. That's kind of a drag after awhile. You want dynamic people to bounce ideas off of. Even when I'm working on my own, I'll react to people I don't even know. I often take random input from hither and yon, so for me it's ideal to be surrounded by creative people and find some kind of context for the work.

What kind of songs are you working on now?

A lot of my new writing is pretty political. Other than writing from places like joy and compassion and redemption, I'm also struggling with trying to make very deliberate, specific political statements in my songs without being pedantic, with it still being musical and poetical.

It's so much harder to write political songs than love songs. Even just the very language: It's very easy to talk about love. The ''L'' word is what you expect to hear in a song. To talk about ''patriarchy,'' I mean it's not a sexy word. It's a word that people jump up and run from.

Is it also just more exhausting to think about the current political climate?

Like everybody, I too get exhausted, especially with these deflating I hate to say ''failures,'' but just when you think things couldn't get worse, they do in this country. That's pretty debilitating.

The point for me is not to fight the bad guys; it's to help the good guys. The point is to make ourselves stronger.

There are so many people doing good things. I just found myself officially endorsing (Howard) Dean for Democratic National Committee chair. Let's decentralize power, put it back in the hands of people. He's philosophizing about democracy, about where it's going. We need to stop reacting and letting them set the terms of discussion and start acting.

How does your experience fit into that philosophy?

That's my place. People said, ''You have to get a record deal and get a single and wear this.'' And for me, since day one, I said, ''I don't think so. I'm going to re-create the world for myself.''

And it's worked very nicely, thank you. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to do that and constructed a record company (Righteous Babe) that is completely artist-oriented and not business-oriented.

People told me that my dream of doing things my way was impossible and ludicrous. And it was. Until I did it, and then it's a possibility, not just for me but maybe for somebody else. If we have the conviction to believe in our own perceptions to pursue our own ideology, then that's sort of contagious.

But you succeeded. Does failure breed apathy?

I think we're as a society not really well-versed in the art of activism, of change, of self-empowerment. We just don't learn these things. There are countless numbers of business schools, but there are not political action courses of study. There are a lot of people who got off their butt and went and voted for the first time last November.

The fact that we didn't succeed is very debilitating, and I encounter a lot of people who want to crawl back into their hole. But it isn't instant gratification stuff. The point is you don't vote once, you vote from now on.

I mean, you don't fight to win. You fight because it gives your life meaning, because that in itself elevates you.

If there's anything I know from my own experience, it's that standing up for what you believe in, it's a path to joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ani DiFranco's new album, Knuckle Down, touches on topics both personal and political. She's making a conscious effort to be more politically involved as well, recently endorsing Howard Dean for Democratic National Committee chair.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread