+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zen and the Art of the Mix Tape

Zen and the Art of the Mix Tape

The "mix tape": a compilation from music you selected and mixed onto the same blank audio tape or CD.

As John Cusack's character Rob said in High Fidelity: "The making of a great compilation tape...is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow [it], so then you got to cool it off a notch."

Have you ever made a mix tape (or CD) for someone? It doesn't have to be the object of your affection (past or present)--maybe you made a mix tape for your mother on her birthday, or for a friend to cheer up him/her.

Who was your mix tape/CD for? What artists and songs did it feature?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

This is a great and difficult question, Phat32. I have a special love for the mix which has existed since the damn of time--like back in junior high when the only way an inordinately shy Snowy could say "I like you" to that special someone was with a perfectly calibrated and premeditated mix of songs that communicated all the things I wished I could say out loud but didn't dare.

Of course, I didn't just make mixes for guys I was too shy to talk to. I also made them for friends, family--but usually only for people I feel a real affinity to, because I think out song order very carefully and usually custom-make special covers. Friends who love music as passionately as I do answer back with their own--in a way, we "talk" to each other this way. My best friend and I can trace our whole relationship together through music; nearly fifteen years later and all grown up, he and I still trade discs with each other!

A fashion designer once heard a tape I made for a friend, and asked me to make a mix of music for her show. That was hard for me to do because I didn't really know her personally, and she didn't seem to understand that I don't just slap stuff together.

I couldn't possibly list every song I'd ever included in a compilation, but I do try to include an eclectic mix. I like placing two incongruous songs next to one another, and I'm a big believer that the songs must have some logical flow. I don't make them as often I used to (stupid adult responsibilities *grumble grumble*), but I still do from time to time.
    Viva la mix tape!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I really don't make mix tapes for anyone but myself. I just wouldn't be sure if they'd like what I put together.

I did receive a mix CD from someone a few months ago. It was actually an MP3 CD that had at least a hundred songs. They were divided into upbeat, sad, weird, and cover songs. Half of them were cover songs, some of which were decent. The weird category included a song called "I Wish I Was A Lesbian," a track I'd been looking for for several years. The rest ranged from fabulous to "What the *bleep* is that?" I've yet to listen to the entire CD.

There's a song called "Mix Tape" in the musical Avenue Q, where one of the characters receives a mix tape from a neighbor and tries to interpret how he feels about her through the songs on the tape.

I love mix tapes/cd's. I make them for my sisters or friends all the time. As for the songs that go on there, that depends on my mood. Oh yeah, I also love getting mix tapes and cd's. It's a great introduction to music I might never hear anywhere else.
    Ludicrous speed!

Nobody had made me one of these since probably high school, but coincidentally enough a friend has now sent me two in just the last few weeks. He wanted to try to tell me stories and see if I could figure out what he was saying. I'm 1-1 on that, btw. I wish I had a working scanner, because the CD art he created for both of them is unbelievably beautiful. Anyway, Phat, you asked for artists and songs, so here's what they are:

CD #1:
    The Boy With The Thorn In His Side - Jeff Buckley
    Let Down - Radiohead
    The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Postal Service
    Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart (why?)
    Let Go - Frou Frou
    Breather - Laika
    Pale Shelter - Tears For Fears
    I Am The Walrus - The Beatles
    De-Luxe - Lush
    Ooh Child - Beth Orton
    The Killing Moon - Pavement
    Sister I'm A Poet - Morrissey
    Dig For Fire - The Pixies (btw, my boyfriend went to see them on Saturday night, and said they were amazing)
    F*** The Pain Away - Peaches
    Boogie Down Bronx - Mann Parrish
    The Promise - When In Rome

CD #2:
    Enya - Watermark
    Sigur Ros - Untitled #1
    Red House Painters - All Mixed Up
    Elliot Smith - Somebody That I Used To Know
    REM - Near Wild Heaven
    Shudder To Think (feat. Liz Phair) - Erecting A Movie Star
    Belle And Sebastian - The Stars Of Track And Field
    Simon And Garfunkel - The Boxer
    Death Cab For Cutie - Title And Registration
    Coldplay - Clocks
    Underworld - Pearl's Girl
    Fischerspooner - The 15th
    The Cars - Let The Good Times Roll
    ABBA - S.O.S.

I once recieved a mix tape from a guy in Maine (a friend with a crush) in which every song was carefully picked to suit a facet of my personality. It was quite seductive. I remember it had these songs:
    * A Girl Like You- Edwyn McCain
    *Lost in Your Eyes (Modigliani)- Book of Love
    * Pictures of You- The Cure
    * My Love Life- Morrissey

I need to go dig it out, unless Mr. Texie tossed it away
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

High Fidelity--I freakin love that movie. I worked with a guy in Milwaukee who I swear was the inspiration behind Cusack's character. He was a musical genius and was king of the compilation tape. When I moved, he gave me a trio of compilation's that had me weeping the whole way home. Weeping: not because they were sappy, but simply it was the greatest compilation of music I've ever heard. From The Replacements to Lick the Tins, a cornucopia of underground, retro, and life changing music.

Sadly, my compilation skills borderline a joke. However, I do have a mean reggae compilation that is the envy of all of Cape Cod.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I remember spending hours selecting the right song to make a mixed tape to give to someone..but then like what i made so much I would keep it for my self!!

I'm now working on one for my labor. Its going to be music that is special to me and what I love a lot during my pregnancy. Its not necessarily soft or sweet music.

Some songs so far that I want on it...

1. When Doves Cry - Prince (when I was 4months pregnant I went to see Prince and that is my favorite song by him.)

2. Angel - Madonna ( I play it everyday for the baby! its her special song)

3. Out of Touch _ Hall and Oates..(I just love it..)

Thats all I got so far!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

I forgot to mention this: the same person who gave me the MP3 CD also gave me an audio mix CD- all the songs were related to sleep. And yes, this was inspired by my user name.

Okay... I finally found the song list for a CD that one of my former boyfriends made for me back in the *we're falling* stages.

The CD is titled "My One", and the songs tell the story of a lonely man who finds hope and a new sense of purpose with a new love... and then his complete submission to that love. (I could never share the poem that he wrote that went along with the CD. )

I Believe - Robert Plant
    29 Palms - Robert Plant
    Satisfaction - Stones
    Blood of Eden - Peter Gabriel
    Digging in the Dirt - Peter Gabriel
    Tunnel of Love - Dire Straits
    Last Worthless Evening - Don Henley
    Thank You - Robert Plant and Jimmy Page
    Something is Always Wrong - Toad the Wet Sprocket
    Hold My Hand - Hootie
    I Only Want to Be With You - Hootie
    The Battle of Evermore - Robert Plant and Jimmy Page
    That's the Way - Plant and Page
    Fragile - Sting
    Baby I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton
    In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
    Mercy Street - Peter Gabriel
    I Will Find You - Clannad

*sigh*
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast