+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zen and the Art of the Mix Tape

I can't find the song listing for my favorite mix tape, maybe later tonight I'll scan thru it and jot it down...the tape is right here, but the case/listing is nowhere to be found at the moment. In my box of music that hasn't been touched in 10 years or more that's in my closet I did find a large collection of mixes though.

This is the track list off one of them, I'm guessing it was 1985 or so just by the songs...and it's definitely not well mixed either Looking at it now I realize I had NO FLOW back then!
    -A Side-Last Christmas (Wham), Human (Human League), Jacob's Ladder (??), Don't Leave Me This Way (Communards), Hand in Glove (Smiths), At This Moment (who the heck was this too??), Brand New Lover (Dead or Alive), Meet Me Halfway (Kenny Loggins?) -B Side-Knew You Were Waiting (Aretha & George Michael), Keep Me Hangin On (Kim Wilde), Funkytown (Lipps Inc), Never Surrender (Corey Hart), Romancing the Stone (Eddie Grant maybe?), Something So Strong (Crowded House)

from Brand New Lover to Meet Me Halfway????? Libs!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Libra, I think both Huey Lewis and the News and Bruce Hornsby had versions of Jacob's Ladder.

And that tape of yours sounds like one of my "taped off the radio" tapes from the 80's.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy

And that tape of yours sounds like one of my "taped off the radio" tapes from the 80's.
    I guess I could tell you the title of it too then It even says "Radio Mix 1" on it. Most likely was recorded with my cassette player held up to the radio speakers....hmmmm maybe not, it may have been the bright red boom box by then, but I have tapes still dating back to me being in 6th grade or so that were recorded the ancient way.

Heck, there was one tape that I saw yesterday that I was questioning why I would put several songs from the same group together like that then I realized what it was....a freakin taped recording of Live Aid! I KNOW for a fact that was the cassette player held up to the tv cause I remember doing it. I only know this now cause later last night I was watching the new Live Aid DVD and a couple of the song groupings matched exactly to what was on the tape...between song commentary and all, which was what clued me in, I couldn't figure out just why I knew exactly what they were going to be saying word for word.....oh yeah, cause I probabaly wore that tape out back in the day!

Great thread idea Phat!

I used to absolutely love making mixed tapes. I started doing it in high school and by the time I hit college I was probably making one per week to give away and one every couple of months to keep for myself. My best friend in college had a totally awesome collection of really eclectic music and he really had an impact on my tastes. I remember we spent a couple weeks putting together a set of mixed tapes we called "The List". We wanted it to be the best rock and roll songs of all time, regardless of anyone else's tastes but our own. We had to agree on every song before we could add it to The List. It came out great. I still have the tapes but they are pretty worn out from all the years of listening. I probably still have about 50 mixed tapes, half of which are tapes I either never finished or never gave away and the other half are tapes friends made for me.

My favorite mixed tape of all time cracks me up. The guy who made it for me never labeled it so I don't know who a lot of the songs are from or what they are called. It's got this song on it about Soul Food that is just hilarious, and somewhere in the middle he added a Christmas rap song just to throw me off. Dork. Here are a few songs included that I remember off the top of my head:

Give It Up Or Turn It Loose - James Brown
    Dr. Funkenstein - Parliament
    Red Beans - Muddy Waters
    Riviera Paradise - Stevie Ray Vaughn
    My Rival - Steely Dan

There is something by John McLaughlin, Be Bop Deluxe, and John Lee Hooker on it too...I'll have to listen to it again to remember what all else is on there. Another amusing thing about it is that he didn't have any blank tapes so he taped over a tape he already had. It still has the original labels on it..."Side A: AC/DC - Dirty Deeds" "Side B: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon". Now that's a mixed tape with character.

I'm just now starting to get into making mix CD's. Fun stuff!
    Last edited by Zhora; 11-19-2004 at 11:52 PM.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Oooo - good thread Phat. I've made several mixes for friends (the good old Kazaa days *sigh*). I still have them saved in my Media player, so I'll have to figure out if I can just copy and past it onto here Be back in a few...

In a slight attempt to redeem my geek-ness of the 80's, this is one of my mixes that's dated 1994...one of my all time favorite tapes cause it's a mix of songs that we used to hear out at Visage, the club we went to at that time. We'd go on 80's night and it wasn't a surprise to hear any of these playing, they'd start with the light pop-ish stuff and then move into the "harder" music later on.

A Side...None of Thee Above (Duran Duran, not played at the club, but my favorite song at the time), Love is a Shield (Camoflauge), Come Home With Me (Dead Or Alive), Bizarre Love Triangle (New Order), Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics), Stop (Erasure), C30C60C90 (Bow Wow Wow), Menage a Trois (K.Ram), Tempted (Squeeze), About Nothing (PM Dawn, once again, not a club song but the theme song for my best friend at the time)
    B Side...Big Empty (STP), Dead Souls (NIN), This Corrosion (Sisters of Mercy), Let Your Body Learn (Nitzer Ebb), Everyday is Halloween (Ministry), Headhunter (Front242), Revenge (Ministry), Ringfinger (NIN), Send me an Angel (Real Life I think it is....doesn't suit the other songs on this side, but it's there cause of my dancing partner John, it was his favorite song)

I love making mix tapes! I've been doing them for about 20 years and always get compliments. It's much easier with a CD burner.

Last Christmas, because I was pretty broke, I make Christmas CD's for everyone. I did one of classics and one with more contemporary stuff.
    Here's the list for each:
    Disk 1:
    1. White Christmas – Bing Crosby
    2. Sleigh Ride – Ella Fitzgerald
    3. The Holly and the Ivy - Maggie Sansone
    4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra
    5. Blue Christmas – Elvis Presley
    6. Jingle Bell Rock – Bobby Helms
    7. O Tannenbaum – Vince Guaraldi Trio
    8. I’ll be Home for Christmas – Glenn Campbell
    9. Winter Wonderland – Lena Horne
    10. The Christmas Song – Nat King Cole
    11. When my Heart Finds Christmas – Harry Connick Jr.
    12. (There’s no Place like) Home for the Holidays – Perry Como
    13. Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! – Vaughn Monroe
    14. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee
    15. Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
    16. Please Come Home for Christmas – Charles Brown
    17. Here We Come A-Wassailing – The Players
    18. Merry Christmas Darling – The Carpenters
    19. Winter Wonderland – Louis Armstrong
    20. Here Comes Santa Claus (Down Santa Claus Lane) – Gene Autry
    21. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Burl Ives
    22. The First Noel – Andy Williams
    23. The Christmas Blues – Dean Martin
    24. Happy Holiday – Peggy Lee

Disk 2:
    1. Welcome Christmas – Grinch
    2. Christmas is the time to say “I love You” – Billy Squier
    3. All I want for Christmas – Mariah Carey
    4. Run Rudolph Run – Chuck Berry
    5. Jingle Bells – Brian Setzer Orchestra
    6. Little Saint Nick – Beach Boys
    7. Here Comes Santa Claus (Down Santa Claus Lane) – Elvis Presley
    8. Lonesome Christmas – Son Seals
    9. Last Christmas – Wham!
    10. Do They Know it’s Christmas? – Band Aid
    11. O Holy Night – *NSYNC
    12. Christmas Bells – John Gorka
    13. Merry Christmas – Otis Redding
    14. Santa Claus is Coming to Town – The Jackson 5
    15. Wonderful Christmas – Paul McCartney
    16. Merry Merry Christmas – Koko Taylor
    17. Happy Xmas (war is over) John & Yoko
    18. Christmas Blues – Canned Heat
    19. Step Into Christmas – Elton John
    20. Christmas is All Around – Billy Mack (this is the one from "love actually")

I had so much fun putting the mixes together that I'm almost bummed that I can't do it again for the first time THIS year!

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12