+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guitar Legend Eric Clapton Receives CBE

Guitar Legend Eric Clapton Receives CBE

Full article here: http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/388173.htm

British guitar legend Eric Clapton was made on Wednesday a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) in recognition of his contribution to Britain's music industry.

Clapton (59) one of the most influential rock guitarists of all time, described the honour presented to him at Buckingham Palace by the queen's daughter, Princess Anne, as the "icing on the cake" of his glittering career.

"I had a rebellious streak in me," he said. "As a kid I would not have been able to accept this. I was very immature about the way I looked at that. I was against the establishment.

"Now I have grown up, I really think it is an important thing to be able to set an example of some kind."

"This is the icing on the cake," Clapton added. "Although I have been a rebel most of my life and most of the music I have made I have not done for any kind of success, it is a recognition for tenacity.

"It is some kind of affirmation. I am a real royalist too I have the greatest of respect for the royal family. It is a great thing for me."

Clapton, who was awarded the lesser Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1994, first found fame in the 1960s as a member of the Yardbirds, before going on to achieve even greater international acclaim with Cream.

Clapton recorded his most famous song 'Layla' with his band Derek and the Dominos, and followed that with a string of hugely successful solo albums through the 1970s and 1980s.

One of the greats in music history gets a well-deserved honour.

Premium Member
    Way to go, Slowhand!

+ Reply to Thread