+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vocalists overly impressed by their own voice

Or, if you want to hear music that is great, try a Canadian artist... just some examples:

Diana Krall
    Michael Buble
    Sarah McLachlan
    The Tragically Hip
    Barenaked Ladies
    Sarah Harmer
    Sarah Slean
    Damhnait Doyle
    Shaye
    Tara McLean

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

FORT Fogey
    I wouldn't say Celine and Whitney are overly impressed. Annoying at times? Yes. But you can't deny that their instruments are powerful and pretty much as good as it gets. Mariah has a great instrument too, but falls into the same category of over-singing almost everything on her plate. When these three that are oft mentioned on American Idol show restraint its something to behold!

The one artist that immediately comes to mind is Martina McBride (her soaring vocals are hella grainy and you can hear the strain on her voice),

I love Allison Krauss for the restraint she shows. Her voice is perfect and so is her pitch and she knows that she doesn't have to hit every single note on the register to deliver a solid performance.

Quote Originally Posted by -ANTM-
    I love Allison Krauss for the restraint she shows. Her voice is perfect and so is her pitch and she knows that she doesn't have to hit every single note on the register to deliver a solid performance.
    Yeah, Allison is a great example of "less is more."
    So is Dido.

OOH a thread all about Vocalists overly impressed by their own voice, and no body has yet to mention Be-yawn-se.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    The very 1st person that popped into my head was Jessica Simpson........!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd
    OOH a thread all about Vocalists overly impressed by their own voice, and no body has yet to mention Be-yawn-se.
    Destiny's Child latest album should be called Beyonce and friends. Her voice is the loudest on verses and choruses.

Jennifer Lopez!
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
    I also feel that whenever a singer resorts to "warbling" and vocal gymnastics it seems more like vocal mastur***tion than singing the song.

Sadly, if you take a look at most young singers, the ones trying out for "American Idol" etc. they also seem to emulate this, thinkings its the way to best show off their range. When all it really shows off is their self indulgence.

I would personally much rather hear a Bruce Springsteen / Melissa Etheridge type performer - singing with passion, and a certain road-weariness that brings a gritty, emotional, realism to their songs (emphasis on the word "their" as they are song writers and not song purchasers), than hear some big haired diva riding up and down the harmonic scale through three octaves.

And I know that some people will take exception with my comment about songwriting and point that the Britneys, Lindseys and Ashlees of the world often get songwriting credits on their records.

Well, whenever a person is listed as the one any only songwriter on a song I believe it. When you see that they are one of 15 co-writers on a song, one begins to wonder how much input they actually had and how much was $ymbolic writing credit.
    Word to all of that, Daddio.
    On Idol it's not just the contestants' fault tho. Last night was a prime example. One of the young guys sang "Lady" and did it beautifully and not too karaoke-ish. So Paula tells him it was OK and basically instructs him to "oversing" more next time to show off his range and the difficult tricks he can do.

Oh, and I do put Whitney in the thread title category. I think some of her songs like The Greatest Love sound like she's trying to prove how much power she has instead of just interpreting the song. It's like a basketball player doing a slam dunk and hanging on the rim instead of just making the basket, just to prove he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD View Post
    Oh, and I do put Whitney in the thread title category. I think some of her songs like The Greatest Love sound like she's trying to prove how much power she has instead of just interpreting the song. It's like a basketball player doing a slam dunk and hanging on the rim instead of just making the basket, just to prove he can.
    I'm with you on this. Just put Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You" up against Dolly Parton's and you can feel how much power genuine heartfelt emotion has over fancy-pants vocal calisthenics and multi-octave wailing. Just so there's no misunderstanding, I much prefer Dolly's version.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I think the singer who overdoes her vocal talent is Christina Aguilera...in almost every one of her songs she's stretching syllables and screaming like we're all deaf...geez

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast