+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duran Duran

FORT Fan
    Thanks Libs, - I think I'm going to get Astronaut this weekend......

Also, I kind of liked Arcadia , Power Station, eh, not so much.....

Quote Originally Posted by december12
    Thanks Libs, - I think I'm going to get Astronaut this weekend......

Also, I kind of liked Arcadia , Power Station, eh, not so much.....
    There's a cd/dvd combo that you can find for pretty darned close to the price of the cd alone as well.....the concert footage in the dvd is well worth it! I got mine at Target really resonably priced, and atleast here there's still plenty of copies to be found. (extra bonus is seeing New Religion on there cause that's one of my all time favorite tunes)

Oh no blushing on liking Arcadia now! I loved that side project! It really was a preview for the Duran that was to come in the late 90's early 00's.

FORT Fan
    No one else seemed to like Arcadia, ever!! Election Day (I think the only song they released?) and Lady Ice were great 80's songs! And Flame too..... Yeah, I guess the Notorious CD does echo So Red The Rose quite a bit.
    I think I have to find/dust off The Power Station and listen to it again....I might not have given it a fair chance.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I never was that in to the Power Station, but I loved Arcadia. My most favorite video of all time--not just Duran stuff--is the one for The Flame. It was so odd, but funny, and John Taylor was in it even though he wasn't in Arcadia.

Texi, thanks for the info on the DVD/CD release of Astronaut. I just have the CD, but now that I know there's a DVD out there too, I'm going to have to get it as well. Big geek am I. The day (not too long ago) I found out Sing Blue Silver was on DVD, I was so ecstatic because I, like a fool (and probably b/c I didn't have any money), never got the VHS tape when it was out. I totally duranie'd out one day and watched the Greatest DVD, the Arena DVD (as freaky as that is), and Sing Blue Silver. It was a little trip back to my youth.

And re: the post about us being in our 30's and them in their 40's....hmmmm....surely we're all smart enough to find ways to distract models, even just for a couple of hours (days/weeks/whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    I never was that in to the Power Station, but I loved Arcadia. My most favorite video of all time--not just Duran stuff--is the one for The Flame. It was so odd, but funny, and John Taylor was in it even though he wasn't in Arcadia.

Texi, thanks for the info on the DVD/CD release of Astronaut. I just have the CD, but now that I know there's a DVD out there too, I'm going to have to get it as well. Big geek am I. The day (not too long ago) I found out Sing Blue Silver was on DVD, I was so ecstatic because I, like a fool (and probably b/c I didn't have any money), never got the VHS tape when it was out. I totally duranie'd out one day and watched the Greatest DVD, the Arena DVD (as freaky as that is), and Sing Blue Silver. It was a little trip back to my youth.

And re: the post about us being in our 30's and them in their 40's....hmmmm....surely we're all smart enough to find ways to distract models, even just for a couple of hours (days/weeks/whatever).

Loved both groups, and Simon and Nick showed up when I saw Power Station at Madison Square Garden... too cool. Ahhh.... memories.

Now, here's a game suggestion
    How would you distract a model?

Answer #1: tell them that the store an hour away is offering fat free sugar free carb free calorie free double dutch chocolate brownies.
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    The day (not too long ago) I found out Sing Blue Silver was on DVD, I was so ecstatic because I, like a fool (and probably b/c I didn't have any money), never got the VHS tape when it was out. I totally duranie'd out one day and watched the Greatest DVD, the Arena DVD (as freaky as that is), and Sing Blue Silver. It was a little trip back to my youth.
    *sigh* PG you've cursed me Today I went out to get a birthday present for a friend and ended up buying the Greatest, SBS, and Arena DVD's (ummm never did quite end up with his birthday gift )......sat here all afternoon having major flashbacks to my early teens! The only time I could stop myself was when the maintenance guy came by to work on something in my apartment cause I got really self conscious all of a sudden sitting here in giggly girl mode.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by december12
    No one else seemed to like Arcadia, ever!! Election Day (I think the only song they released?) and Lady Ice were great 80's songs! And Flame too..... Yeah, I guess the Notorious CD does echo So Red The Rose quite a bit.
    I think I have to find/dust off The Power Station and listen to it again....I might not have given it a fair chance.
    You know what I think it was....all the Duran Duran fans were used to them being such a teeny-bopper band, and the Power Station/Arcadia projects were such a deviation from the standard that the kids couldn't hang with it. That was what it was for me. The band I loved most became two bands I didn't really care for, because Power Sataion was so funky, and Arcadia so arty (Nick Rhodes always said he liked Roxy Music very much. I see Arcadia as heavily-inspired by that genre.). I didn't understand then that the band themselves had to grow as artists and as people.

That was actually some really good stuff, and they took a huge chance on trying the side projects out, but they are still together (original members...I can't believe it. I thought maybe Andy, but never Roger) and recording new stuff, and still have a huge fan base. Some of us have been fans for twenty years, and some are new fans. My nine-year-old LOVES Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by happydude
    You know what I think it was....all the Duran Duran fans were used to them being such a teeny-bopper band, and the Power Station/Arcadia projects were such a deviation from the standard that the kids couldn't hang with it. That was what it was for me. The band I loved most became two bands I didn't really care for, because Power Sataion was so funky, and Arcadia so arty (Nick Rhodes always said he liked Roxy Music very much. I see Arcadia as heavily-inspired by that genre.). I didn't understand then that the band themselves had to grow as artists and as people.

That was actually some really good stuff, and they took a huge chance on trying the side projects out, but they are still together (original members...I can't believe it. I thought maybe Andy, but never Roger) and recording new stuff, and still have a huge fan base. Some of us have been fans for twenty years, and some are new fans. My nine-year-old LOVES Rio.
    What I was thinking about the other night is.... here we are, many of us original fans from our teens now in our thirties... and I was thinking that the guys were really just boys! When I think back to my 20's....I mean, Girls On Film was recorded when they were, what, 18? 20? By 23 to have all that wealth, adoration, and pressure to crank out another of "whatever worked the first time." Same thing happened to the Beatles. Let's be thankful they regrouped!!
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Libra--What did you think of Arena? I'd never seen it before I got the DVD and, while Arena the album is the one that got me totally hooked & is therefore my favorite of all time, I thought the whole sci-fi stuff was peculiar. But I'm very glad I have the DVD, regardless! Your friend should understand if the gift is late...this is VERY important stuff we're talking about!

Funny about the maintenance guy...b/c when I was having my little film fest, my dad stopped by unannounced to drop something off, and here I was, in my living room, curled up on the couch with the lights off, in the middle of a Sunday afternoon watching Duran Duran movies. I'm sure he must have thought I'd lost it! (But then, he's a huge ABBA fan, so he can't talk.)

PG, I hadn't seen Arena until yesterday myself. Over the years I'd seen snippets of it, but never the full on thing. It was hmmmm....interesting. I must admit I sort of tuned out the unrelated sci-fi-ish clips and just focused on the music parts, but hey, I just wanted to see the music stuff anyways I found the entire making of segment as, if not more, interesting than the story itself. I'm with you though, definitely glad that I own it, but it's not first on my viewing list.

There's a video I have called Extraordinary World that's really good as well. That's my next goal, to find it on EBay or somewhere done on a DVD. I can't remember just why I liked it so much off the top of my head though *D'OH!* Guess I'll have to have another mini marathon and watch it to find out why.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast