+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duran Duran

My clique in Jr High in 1982 or thereabouts formed a "Duranies" fan club; the five of us had a specific member to idolize (I had Nick Rhodes), we bought pins at Spencer's gifts, hoarded our lunch money to buy TeenBeats and such at the SippyMart which we would trade amongst ourselves, and constructed, signed and sent off birthday cards to the lads on their special days. Oh what fun!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    My clique in Jr High in 1982 or thereabouts formed a "Duranies" fan club; the five of us had a specific member to idolize (I had Nick Rhodes), we bought pins at Spencer's gifts, hoarded our lunch money to buy TeenBeats and such at the SippyMart which we would trade amongst ourselves, and constructed, signed and sent off birthday cards to the lads on their special days. Oh what fun!
    Nick Rhodes was my favorite, also. I learned a lot about art and music from my interest in him. I didn't have a Spencer's near me circa 1984 (when I was 12), but I was at the Shopko every weekend spending my allowance on 45s and magazines. My favorite mag was Star Hits, later called Smash Hits. I never sent any cards, but acknowledged each special day in my school notebooks, which I still have twenty years later. Those were some darn good times.

Smash and Star Hits were the BEST magazines! I think Libs still has some of her old issues

FORT Regular
    OMG John Taylor was it for me. I was going to marry him when I was 13/ 14!! They were huge for me and all my friends at school. My bedroom was covered with Duran Duran posters, I wuld cut out every photo from magazines and put them on my wall. The inside of my locker was like a Duran Duran shrine. Was that really 20 years ago!

FORT Fan
    Star Hits, Smash Hits, and there was a magazine with Lyrics I used to buy too - I can't remember the name..............
    And Simon Lebon was definitely the best of them.......

Interesting factoid...Smash (Star) Hits, their editor was Neil Tennant, who later became one half of Pet Shop Boys.

Even though I'm only 16 but I absolutely LOVE Duran Duran. I heard Sunrise on the drive home from school today and I really liked it. Throughout the years, they always make good music and I'm glad that they're still doing what they do best.

ROCK ON DURAN DURAN!
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Smash and Star Hits were the BEST magazines! I think Libs still has some of her old issues
    You are correct! I found a bunch of my Duran memorabilia that I didn't realize I still had when I cleaned out my storage closet about a month or so ago. I wish I had all of my Star Hits, but they were a lost cause anyways after I'd get done cutting them up for the pictures. I do have 3-4 still completely in tact though, which is a miracle in itself! I even found a BUNCH of my buttons and a mega full size (4'x6') poster tucked away in a box of goodies.

Dec12....Medazzaland was such an ODD album! There's a couple of good songs on it (and it was a GREAT tour)...but it definitely wasn't one of the best. I completely dig the first half of Astronaut (that's where the more radio friendly type songs are)...the second half of it sounds promising, but I can't stop hitting the repeat on the first few songs to give the others more listening time.

Me too, although I jumped on the "bandwagon" in '84 after seeing the "Seven & The Ragged Tiger Tour" at Madison Square Garden. Spent some time in England during the Power Station "controversy" and boy were the fans over there ticked at John & Andy. I'm pleased to see the original 5 back together... even Roger, although Nick was my favorite (having aged a bit, I know realize that Simon and John... well..... I mean, REALLY) When Roger disappeared, it seeed things just fell apart.
    I saw them on the Late Late show, and I did wonder about one thing... I STILL have all the pins and posters and vinyl, and I remember the photo shoot (filmed on "Sing Blue Silver) with Scavullo, and I remember for the first time thinking "WOW. Andy has really killer eyes!" So what is with the compulsion for sunglasses? Makes ya think illegal thoughts....

Good first single... I'm happy with the "Duran-ness" of it. I intend to buy the album asap.
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by Alexa
    OMG John Taylor was it for me. I was going to marry him when I was 13/ 14!! They were huge for me and all my friends at school. My bedroom was covered with Duran Duran posters, I wuld cut out every photo from magazines and put them on my wall. The inside of my locker was like a Duran Duran shrine. Was that really 20 years ago!
    Now here is the happy thought, ladies. When we were 12/13/14/15, and the guys were 22/23/24/25. the age difference was insurrmountable (three will get ya 20 ) But NOW we are in our thirties, and THEY are in their 40s... perfectly acceptable, dont ya think?
    Now if I can only think of a way to pry them away from their model wives......
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast