+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freestyle Music

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar

Freestyle Music

Does anyone here like Freestyle Music or listened to it in the 80's? I love it and still do. Last month a bunch of girlfriends and I saw Stevie B, Expose, Cover Girls, Debbie Deb and Lisa Lisa. It brought back so many great memories.
    I know here in the Bay Area it was huge and in New York and Miami. But Im wondering if anywhere else it was. I think I actually thought that kind of music was bigger than it was because it was so huge in the Bay Area.

My favorite freestyle jams are and were...

1. Show Me - Cover Girls

2. They're Playing Our Song - Trinere

3. Head to Toe - Lisa Lisa Cult Jam

4. Can You feel the Beat- Lisa Lisa

5. Spring Love - Stevie B.

6. Fantasy Girl - Johnny O

7. Summer Girls - Dino

8. Sincerely Yours- Sweet Sensation

For all you younger one....Nina Sky sampled Lisa Lisa's song "Can You Feel the Beat" in their song.

What are your fave Freestyle Jams?
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Im surprised no one here likes freestyle music...

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

i love freestyle

I didn't see this thread the first time around. Freestyle is basically all I listened to in high school. When Napster first became popular, I sat there with my dial-up modem monopolizing my phone line for hours, getting zillions of freestyle songs. Cynthia, Debbie Deb, Trinere, TKA, Johnny O, Coro. I still listen to that playlist whenever I'm in a bad mood and feel like being cheered up. It's funny, though, because since I moved out of NY, nobody I know has ever heard of these artists. Their loss, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    I didn't see this thread the first time around. Freestyle is basically all I listened to in high school. When Napster first became popular, I sat there with my dial-up modem monopolizing my phone line for hours, getting zillions of freestyle songs. Cynthia, Debbie Deb, Trinere, TKA, Johnny O, Coro. I still listen to that playlist whenever I'm in a bad mood and feel like being cheered up. It's funny, though, because since I moved out of NY, nobody I know has ever heard of these artists. Their loss, I guess.

Amanda! i know, it seems like outside the Bay Area, Miami or New York nobdy has a clue about freestyle.
    I finally found a song I had been looking and looking for...Trinere's "There Playing Our Song" Love it...

I gotta dance and turn up the music whenever i hear any freestyle. Fortunetly they play it often here in SF.

hay i love freestyel and i live in mo yo :phhht

taytay!

I remember when KDON (102.5) in Monterey/Salinas used to put on the freestyle concerts with Stevie B, The Cover Girls, Sweet Sensation, etc...god those were the days!
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    I do! I do!!! I was just sorting through my hall closet in preparation for yard sale this spring/putting Christmas stuff away and came across my tape collection. I decided to keep only one case worth of tapes out of two cases plus that I found.. Most, if not all, have been replaced with MP3s or CDs, but I cannot let go of Classics (The Doors, Floyd) my Freestyle Mixes (Glenn Frisha anybody??) or my Freestyle Singles.

I dated a house/freestyle DJ for 3 years (89-92???) and got to stand on stage with Coro, Johnny O, George Lamond, Lisette Melendez, and countless others... Not TKA though... always a disappointment. We were too young to get into rock clubs or bars but these dance clubs had "teen nights" and we would go to those and/or my boyfriends shows, where we'd be allowed in. I was a funny girl (and still am) in that I'd be wearing a ripped concert T-shirt while I put my makeup and teased my hair (listening to GNR or Metallica, or something) getting ready to go out to the clubs. So funny!

My faves:

Play at Your Own Risk -- the best ever
    The Rain (Oran Juice Jones) doesn't really count as freestyle but anyway.
    Without You -- George Lamond
    Can't Let You Go -- Coro
    Please don't Go
    Destiny -- Bettina
    Never Say Never -- Lisette Melendez
    Dreamboy/DreamGirl -- Cynthia/Johnny O
    Put Your Lovin Arms Around Me
    Louder Than Love -- TKA
    Bad of the Heart -- George LaMond
    Poison -- Bell Biv Devoe (me, the middle of the dance floor, getting my freak on)
    Take Me In Your Arms
    Fantasy Girl -- Johnny O

That's enough for now, hope I have you guys bopping around!!!
    Could does not mean should

Premium Member
    Wow, the freestyle genre has a lot of artists I have fond memories of... and funny I just noticed this thread - I actually ran across this site recently which is pretty on topic.

+ Reply to Thread