+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Songs that make you cry

Waiting for Spring
    You all inspired me to take out the Norah Jones CD I was listening to and pop in Alison Krauss.

Off the top of my head:

I Will Remember You--Sarah McLachlan

Sweet Old World--Lucinda Williams

Fire and Rain--James Taylor

Leader of the Band--Dan Fogelberg

Poncho and Lefty--Willie Nelson

and Whiskey Lullaby gets to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Yes, how can one forget "Somebody".
    Showin our age!!!!!

Looking for a place to happen
    Jann Arden 'Good Mother'
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

In the land of endless sunshine
    Falling Away With You - Muse
    Rest In Pieces - Saliva
    Pain - Jimmy Eat World
    The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot - Brand New

"Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Now I don't feel like such a dork. I listen to country music almost exclusively. I love an old song by George Jones named He stopped loving her today. I always imagine he was singing it to his ex wife.

A few that come to mind:

Exit Music (For a Film) - Radiohead
    Lover, You Should Have Come Over - Jeff Buckley
    No Distance Left to Run - Blur
    Now My Heart is Full - Morrissey
    Bell Bottom Blues - Eric Clapton

in the kitchen, darling!
    Now My Heart Is Full is an excellent mopey song, Manny!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Now I don't feel like such a dork. I listen to country music almost exclusively. I love an old song by George Jones named He stopped loving her today. I always imagine he was singing it to his ex wife.
    He stopped loving her today is a fine choice, Muduh. At the moment I'm listening to Barbara Mandrell (with George Jones) singing

I was country when country wasn't cool

The song always gets to me, particularly upon George's entry. I'm forgetting the timeframe, I suppose it came out at about the high tide of Urban Cowboyism, but I personally associate the song as also a slap at the "New Country" that appeared about the same time, when it became difficult to find a station that was playing anyone that had been around earlier than the last two years.

Country music always attracted me as a genre that honored those that had paid their dues, and I found it personally disappointing at the time for all the young and less talented (IMO) turks overnight getting all the credit I didn't believe they had quite proven themselves worthy of.

Leftcoaster, we seem to have something in common. I don't really care for the newer country music. I like the old "beer drinkin' songs". George Jones and Randy Travis are two of my favorites.
    I also like the album made here in Memphis way back when. Was it called Class of '58? something like that anyway. Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and several others. Now I have to email my son and ask him the name.

Dublin, OH
    The Old Rugged Cross. I Come to the Garden Alone (In The Garden) They sang them at my Dad's funeral.

+ Reply to Thread