+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "We Don’t Need No Education," and other Grammar Atrocities in ROCK!

"We Don’t Need No Education," and other Grammar Atrocities in ROCK!

Poor musicians. They are too busy rocking us 24/7 (including holidays!) to pay attention to the little things like health, safe sex, and, in some cases, hygiene. They certainly don’t have time for something as tedious as correct grammar!

Still, a few of their mistakes can make me cringe. Even some of my most beloved music artists are guilty of egregious grammatical gaffes. For example, Paul McCartney: “In this ever-changing world in which we live in” (from “Live and Let Die”) and Tori Amos “When you gonna make up your mind? When you gonna love you as much as I do?” (from “Winter”).

What examples have you got of lines that make you want to send your favorite rock/pop/whatever star back to English class? Or any other things that musicians do in songs that bug you to distraction?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I can quickly think of one yesterday that made me cringe, even though I know it was worded this way to fit the verse:

In Sarah Maclachlan's "Arms of an Angel" she says "It don't make no difference.." ACK!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Holy cow, I can't believe someone actually responded to this thread. It looked as if it was just about to join the dinosaurs in extinction. It still might, but thanks to you Broadway, it has at least one proper reply!

Anyway, I thought of another example that always irritated me to no end: you know that song "The Female of the Species"--I think it's by Space, it was featured on the original Austin Powers soundtrack--well, in the chorus when he sings "the female of the species is more deadlier than the male" I get violently angry!
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I don't know if there's that many lines in particular that annoy me, but overt misogyny makes me cringe (heeelllllooooo, Eminem). I've been a huge Led Zeppelin fan since I was a teenager, but I've always hated that line in "Dazed and Confused" that goes..."soul of a woman was created below..." Yeah, yeah, artistic license and all that, but stuff like that brings out the Femi-Nazi grrrrl in me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I dunno if this is considered a grammar attrocitiy but it's ALWAYS bugged me and my sister. In the song "Dillemia" by Nelly and Kelly Rowland, there's the line "Even when I'm with my boo, all I think about is you." Yeah, I know boo is slang for boyfriend but WHY use the word boo? It makes the setence sound dumb. "Even when I'm without you" woulda sounded nice but ack!! It's BOO!! It's insulting to me and my sis's intelligence!

*end of my little rant *
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Yeah, yeah, artistic license and all that, but stuff like that brings out the Femi-Nazi grrrrl in me.
    What about the Stones' "Under My Thumb"? When I was little girl, I loved that song, then when I got a little older and developed more of a consciousness, I listened more closely to the lyrics and was like, "Hey, that's just rude!"

Good thread!

It doesn't bother me that much, actually. Sometimes a little license with grammar is necessary, I think. I'm more picky when it comes to poetry, but lyrics aren't poetry (they can be poetic, but...)

Imagine "We don't need any education, we don't need any thought control." Not quite as anthemic, is it?

One thing I do hate: sub-par rappers making forced rhymes, or any other kind of artist, really.

HOw about the classic: I can't get no satisfaction. That's another double negative. So if he can't get no satisfaction, I guess that means he's getting satisfaction.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    HOw about the classic: I can't get no satisfaction. That's another double negative. So if he can't get no satisfaction, I guess that means he's getting satisfaction.
    I'd be willing to bet that Mick Jagger gets plenty of Satisfaction.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

are you serious? He's nasty lookin!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast