+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45th Annual Grammy Award Nominations Announced

45th Annual Grammy Award Nominations Announced

Springsteen, newcomers lead Grammy nods
    Tuesday, January 7, 2003 Posted: 12:18 PM EST (1718 GMT)

(CNN) -- The Grammys played it right down the middle Tuesday morning, honoring veterans -- such as previous Grammy winners Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow and Eminem -- and a host of newcomers as the Recording Academy announced the nominations for the 45th Annual Grammy Awards.

Eight artists -- Springsteen, Eminem, Crow, Nelly, neosoul artist Raphael Saadiq, and newcomers Ashanti, Norah Jones, and Avril Lavigne -- tied for the lead with five Grammy nominations apiece.

Springsteen was nominated for album of the year for "The Rising" and song of the year for that September 11-inspired album's title song.

Also nominated for album of the year were Eminem for "The Eminem Show," 2002's best-selling record; the Dixie Chicks for "Home"; Nelly for "Nellyville"; and Jones for her jazzy "Come Away With Me."

Nelly, who's been nominated before without winning, is hoping for some success this time around.

"Any one they want to give me, I'm more than happy to receive," he told The Associated Press.

Jones also was nominated for best new artist. Joining her in that category were Ashanti, Michelle Branch, Lavigne and John Mayer.

The nominees for record of the year were "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton, "Without Me" by Eminem, "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones, "Dilemma" by Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland, and "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback.

In the song of the year category, which honors songwriters, the nominees were "Complicated," written by Avril Lavigne & The Matrix and performed by Lavigne; "Don't Know Why," a Norah Jones-performed song written by Jesse Harris; "The Rising," written and performed by Bruce Springsteen; "A Thousand Miles," written and performed by Vanessa Carlton; "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)," the September 11-inspired song written and performed by Alan Jackson.

Nominees for pop vocal album include "Come Away With Me," Norah Jones; "Let Go," Avril Lavigne; "Rock Steady," No Doubt; "M!ssundaztood," Pink; "Britney," Britney Spears.

Spears was also nominated for best female pop vocal performance, along with Crow, Jones, Lavigne and Pink.

Lavigne, who was on hand for the nomination announcement, was stunned by her nods.

"I would have freaked out if I just had one, now that I have five -- I'm just trying to pinch myself," Lavigne told the AP.

Grammy was also kind to Elvis Costello, who won a Grammy in 1998 for a collaboration with Burt Bacharach. For 2003, Costello was nominated for best male rock vocal performance for his song "45," best alternative music album for "Cruel Smile," and best rock album for "When I Was Cruel."

Other best rock album nominees were Crow for "C'mon, C'mon"; Robert Plant for "Dreamland"; Springsteen for "The Rising"; and Tonic for "Head on Straight."

The nominees in country categories pitted young against old guard.

In the best country album category, the Dixie Chicks, Alan Jackson and Joe Nichols are facing off against Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton, who have been in the business since the 1960s. The Dixie Chicks were nominated for "Home," Jackson for "Drive," Nichols for "Man with a Memory," Nelson for "The Great Divide," and Parton for "Halos & Horns."

Parton was also nominated for female country vocal performance, along with Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Lucinda Williams, and Lee Ann Womack. Jackson and Nichols were nominated for male country vocal performance, sharing the category with Pat Green, Brad Paisley and Johnny Cash. "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" was also nominated for best country song.

In the best rap album category, the nominees were Eminem for "The Eminem Show"; Nelly for "Nellyville"; Ludacris for "Word of Mouf"; Mystikal for "Tarantula"; and Petey Pablo for "Diary of a Sinner: 1st Entry."

The late Aaliyah was nominated for best female R&B vocal performance for her song "More Than a Woman," which was released during the Recording Academy's qualification period. The Flaming Lips, riding a wave of critical and popular success for the album "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots," picked up a nomination for best rock instrumental performance for that album's closer, "Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)."

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld was nominated for a Grammy for his spoken-word children's album "Halloween"; also in that category were actors Jamie Lee Curtis and John Lithgow. And the legendary '60s soul star Solomon Burke picked up a nomination for best contemporary blues album, "Don't Give Up on Me."

Left out of the nominations, however, were the much hyped garage bands such as the Strokes, the Vines, the Hives, and the White Stripes.

There are 104 categories for this year's Grammy Awards, up from 101 in 2002.

Tuesday's nods were announced by several musicians, including Ashanti, Lavigne, Mayer and Nelly, from New York's Madison Square Garden. The 45th annual Grammy Awards are scheduled to take place February 23 at Madison Square Garden.
    Click here to visit the official Grammy website and see the full, complete list of nominees.
    Last edited by lobeck; 01-07-2003 at 01:57 PM.

I'm sooo anti-Springsteen, just can't stand his voice.

The nominees for record of the year were "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton, "Without Me" by Eminem, "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones, "Dilemma" by Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland, and "How You Remind Me" by Nickleback.
    I was really annoyed last year when Drops of Jupiter didn't win song of he year.

I hope either Without Me or How you remind me win ths year as I'm not at all fond of the other contenders.
    "That's Numberwang!"

No punk or rock bands... How disappointing!

WTF is up with the Rock Album of the Year, with Robert Plant, Bruce Springsteen, Crow, Tonic, and Elvi Costello? I feel like I'm in 1987. There are SOOOOO many better rock albums out this year. I can't watch an awards show when I don't really give a crap who wins, because they all suck.

I just can't believe that Britney Spears ( ) got multiple nominations! OK, I think she only got two, but that's still two more than she deserved...

Michelle Branch should have gotten more nominations than she did...

I agree with ya, John. It seems that all the good rock and punk bands aren't getting proper recognition.

Spears was also nominated for best female pop vocal performance, along with Crow, Jones, Lavigne and Pink.
    There is no comparisson between Spears and any of the people she has been nominated with.
    I don't mind her being popular, I don't mind her selling millions of CD's, but the plain fact of the matter is that she has a less than average singing voice and the Grammy's should not be validating her by giving her a nomination.

I'm no fan of Norah Jones, but she can at least sing.
    Even the most ardent Britney fan should be honest enough to admit that while they might like her voice, she really isn't up to par.
    Mentioning Britney's vocal performance in the same breath as Pink is laughable.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Pink may be a (very) strange duck, but she's got talent. I've been impressed by her since she hit the airwaves. And she's never claimed to be a virgin while showing as much skin as possible.

Exactly.

Her latest song "Family Portrait" is a great vocal performance.

I think my dislike of Britney really stems from her basic dishonesty coupled with her glaringly obvious lack of vocal talent.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I was very surprised Spears got nominated for best pop performance for 'Overprotected'. While that song wasn't that bad, it wasn't a very strong vocal performance either.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast