+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martika's back and in a new duo, Oppera!!

Martika's back and in a new duo, Oppera!!

Back in the 80's/early 90's there was an aritist named Martika. She was on Kids Inc. (same seasons as Stacy from Black Eyed Peas) and even put out a few albums. Her most memorable single was a little song called "Toy Soldeirs."

Fast foward 2004. She is now married and has a project with her husband Michael Mozart. Their group is called "Oppera." Their cd is entitled "Violince."

The album is a mix of rock, classical, pop, R&B/soul and even a little rapping. Some people have compared them to Ev but I don't really see it. I really like the cd a lot. Martika's voice has gotten so much stronger.

I know that a lot of people here have a wide range of taste in music. So check it out. They should be hitting the road soon and I hope that the word spreads about them soon.

Oppera flash version

Oppera for people like me with slow connections

songs

I remember her . . well her song that is. I love Toy Soilders
    Embrace me, surround me . . . as the rush comes

Martika........

Don't remember Toy Soldiers, but did she released a single with the lyrics

'I feel the earth move under my feet........'?

I remember that single and also seem to remember her looking quite cute too, with the jet black hair (bop like)
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

I remember Toy Soldiers. A local radio station foolishly put it on their "Top 90 of the 80's" list back in '89 because it was popular then. They must've thought it would have some serious staying power, but I know more people who've never heard of it than people who have. I actually liked it, but it's nothing earth-shaking. It's kind of funny that she's back.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I actually used to have Martika's album. It's good to know she's still on the music scene.

I've never met Martika, but I absolutely *LOVE* her mother. That woman is a class act. I was friends with a girl group of the '90s called Wild Orchid (which also included the above mentioned Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas, along with Renee Sandstrom, another Kids Inc alum) and she was their manager for a good portion of their career. We talked of Martika often, but she wasn't in L.A. so we never met.

Good for her. I hope this project gets off the ground for her. She is an amazing talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cra2yMang0
    Martika........

Don't remember Toy Soldiers, but did she released a single with the lyrics

'I feel the earth move under my feet........'?

I remember that single and also seem to remember her looking quite cute too, with the jet black hair (bop like)
    She did do a cover of Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move."

Quote Originally Posted by Malenkaya
    I've never met Martika, but I absolutely *LOVE* her mother. That woman is a class act. I was friends with a girl group of the '90s called Wild Orchid (which also included the above mentioned Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas, along with Renee Sandstrom, another Kids Inc alum) and she was their manager for a good portion of their career. We talked of Martika often, but she wasn't in L.A. so we never met.

Good for her. I hope this project gets off the ground for her. She is an amazing talent.
    I did hear of Wild Orchid... but from what I have seen from Martika, I am sure it runs in the family.

I hope this project gets off the ground too. They are about to kick off a tour
    and the dates should be out soon. I can't wait to see Martika in Oppera.

I use to hear "Toy Soldiers" on a radio's Friday Flashback a lot!! ... memories

She also sang Love Thy Will Be Done, she had a beautiful voice...
    Great minds discuss ideas;
    Average minds discuss events;
    Small minds discuss people.

Fergie from Black Eyed Peas was on Kids. Inc.? I never knew that!

Uh...

I was wondering what happened to her. I liked Toy Soldiers.

I remember Martika! Her album "Martika's Kitchen" was one of the first tapes (pre-CD era; anybody else remember that?) I bought, along with Paula Abdul and Lisa Stansfield. Didn't she collaborate with Prince at some point?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast