+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up and Coming Bands

This is borderline nepotism (okay, it is nepotism ) but I know that there are a lot of fans of indie stuff out there, so I thought I'd mention my boyfriend's up-and-coming band Celestine. They just released their debut album, Between Bedtime and Sunrise, which has gotten rave reviews in both Swedish and American media. Here is one of those rave reviews, taken from Parasol Record's homepage. The direct link: http://www.parasol.com/mail_order/st.../celestine.asp Two songs from the album can be enjoyed at that address, so go check it out!

Anyway, here's the review:

An eerie and apocalyptic pop record, in turns hopeful, haunting, and harrowing, “Between Bedtime And Sunrise“, the debut full-length from Celestine, is one of my most anticipated releases of 2005. Celestine’s EPs and the rough mix CDRs I’ve heard over the past year showed true promise, but I think it was hooking up with studio-warlock Mattias Olsson (the mastermind behind AK-Momo and Nanook of the North), that really clarified the band’s breathtaking cinematic leanings in this shadowy suite of songs.

The music is an elastic blend of plush hypnotic rock, ghostly bonfire folk, and sinuous studio signalese, and the juxtaposition of the acoustic and the vintage electro (producer Olsson’s forte) is truly spellbinding, and the magnitude of the orchestration truly enthralling, but the centerpiece here is Mattias Eriksson’s deeply passionate vocals. You’ll see…check out “Sunflower” and “A Part of Change” above.

The Swedish press has dropped names like Nick Cave and Radiohead, along with fellow Scandinavians Madrugada and Christian Kjellvander…while I hear whispers of Sparklehorse, of Celestine’s northern brethren Isolation Years, and even Nirvana’s "Unplugged In NY”.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

i HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR A YEAR AND NOW THEY ARE GETTING RECOGNITION-KEANE!!!!!!

Last year I said John Legend and now they are going to over play him.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12