+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entertainment Weekly Critics Pick Best and Worst of 2002

I hate the sleazy road Christina has taken, but I agree she has a great voice.

How they can both have Springsteen in their lists is beyond me.
    I know it's not the done thing to criticise him, but I think he sucks.
    I can't stand his terrible strained voice. He sounds and looks like he's trying to crap when he sings.
    I hate him.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I like Bruce....but he isn't always the best singer. I like some of his songs better sung by other people, but I still like Bruce and I like how he writes many of his songs and I do like the Rising. But I like Creed also. Love Arms Wide Open, love it everytime it comes on the Radio. I didn't know Elvis Costello had a new CD out, loved him for years. Gotta go check this out.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Not to take away from the credibility of the album (I haven't heard it, so I don't know how good or bad it is), but Springsteen's "The Rising" came out after 9/11 and is very 9/11-oriented. I'm wondering if that might have had something to do with why it's been on so many "best of" lists if it indeed isn't all that good.

I agree Lobeck, sad, but true.

I've never understood Bruce Springsteen's appeal. Maybe it's an American thing. The only song by him I ever actually liked was Secret Garden, and barely anyone knows it.

I'm surprised that Eminem didn't make it with Eminem Show. Say what you will, but he's talented. Superman is such a funny song, but sadly, it represents too many people that I know on both sides.

I also don't like Christina's sleazy turn, but I wonder if that was a conscious move to separate herself from Britney.

And yes, she has a great voice.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Sleeping with George W
    Norah Jones is awful! With so many talented people out there, how does someone like her even get a record contract? (much less land on someone's top ten list?).

I agree Eden. Now there is someone whose songs all sound the same.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by jodaar
    Say what you will about her videos & her image, but that girl can write her own songs & sing like a goddess.
    jodaar, Christina Aguilera is definitely a great song writer and you can't compare her voice to Britney Spears' because Britney just doesn't have that powerful and good a voice. And if truth be told, I am really not that affected by her raunchy videos and her new image. I don't know why. The first time I saw her video for Dirrty, I just went, "Oh, here's Christina Aguilera's new video." I wasn't or anything. Hmm..

Originally posted by tash
    jodaar, Christina Aguilera is definitely a great song writer and you can't compare her voice to Britney Spears' because Britney just doesn't have that powerful and good a voice. And if truth be told, I am really not that affected by her raunchy videos and her new image. I don't know why. The first time I saw her video for Dirrty, I just went, "Oh, here's Christina Aguilera's new video." I wasn't or anything. Hmm..
    Oh, I don't mind her image at all. She's a young adult making music for other young adults. The reason people get so upset with Brit is because her fans are/were mostly preteens. She probably could have been a little more responsible with how she portrayed herself. But Christina...WOW!!! That's one multi-talented young woman.

I hope Christina's raunchy image doesn't become more of a talking point than her wonderful voice.
    I think there was a danger of that when Dirrty was released, as the video seemed rather extreme. I think she has redressed the balance with "Beautiful" though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12