+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Top 5 (or more) Favorite Singers?

Favorite Vocalists

I'm not sure if this thread has already been done but do you guys have any singers and vocalists with voices that you absolutely love? The kind of voices that send chills up your spine, swoon or put a big smile on your face? Well, here are my top 20 favorite vocalists in no particular order...

Kelly Clarkson
    What can I say? She's got the golden voice and she's proven that she can pull off anything from big band to rock to country to pop. Her extremely high note ("You make me feel so aliiiiiiive") in "Natural Woman" on the first season of "American Idol" still gives me chills.

Clay Aiken
    *sigh* Where do I begin? So much raw power, beauty and strength in his voice. I swear, he is the one man that can bring out the screaming teenybopper in me and he has the power to make me fall to my knees and swoon like a lovesick puppy.

Amy Lee (of Evanescence)
    Between her and Kelly Clarkson, I would kill to have her voice. She has the right balance between the husky alto sound and can reach some soprano notes. Her voice gives me the strongest of chills on "Hello"...it nearly brings me to tears just thinking of it. I also have the Live Concert CD and her voice is still incredibly spellbinding and captivating.

Freddie Mercury (of Queen)
    The voice of a rock god. With the growls and unearthly high notes, his voice just flat out rocks. He will forever be missed.

Josh Groban
    Another one of those classicaly trained male vocalists that makes me turn into a pile of Jello each time I hear him. I truly think there is nothing better than a man who can really sing beautifuly and Josh Groban is definitely one of them.

Stevie Nicks (of Fleetwood Mac)
    As you will see later on in my list, my taste in vocals range from classicaly clear to unconventional and quirky. Stevie belongs in the latter. Even though the drugs, alcohol and cigarettes played a part in her voice, I've always thought that it was just such a unique voice that had this edginess and grittiness which just flat out rocks.

Dave Gahan (of Depeche Mode)
    An incredibly captivating voice, Dave Gahan has one of those voices that remains in your head and it fits any mood of song. The stand outs for me are the softness and earnesty of "Waiting for the Night", the optimism and hope in "But Not Tonight" and the deep sound in "Clean". The more I listen, the more I love him.

Ian Curtis (of Joy Division)
    Perhaps one of the most haunting voices in music as well as one of the most underrated artists in music (in my opinion at least). The pain and fear in his voice on songs like "Twenty Four Hours" make his untimely death even more tragic but his voice is the strongest on "Decades" in which he sounds like a ghost reminiscing on the past...well, that's at least what it makes me think of. He will also be forever missed.

Amanda Palmer (of The Dresden Dolls)
    The one woman tour-de-force has some incredible manic energy in her voice which compliments her mad fury on the piano. Her voice is one of raw talent. Not the most classicaly trained voice but her voice contains so much power and emotion that it overwhelms you. Oh, and did I mention that she rocks my socks?

Karen O (of Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
    Oh man, Karen O...when she gets into those girtty, rip roaring punk rock songs, she becomes this growling, high pitched, wild roaring little bad-ass punk girl with the sort of voice that would kick your butt then rip you to shreds (especially in "Rich", "Date With the Night" and "Black Tongue"). When a slower song like "Maps" and "Modern Romance" comes to play, she can tone it down and it does have a soft, vulnerable side to it.

To be continued in the next post...
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Siouxsie Sioux
    What can I say? The queen of goth has one of those spellbinding voices that has so much character and beauty in it. I absolutely love her in "Sin of my Heart". The intensity, the power...and then there is "Face to Face" and "Interlude" (her duet with Morrissey) which gives her voice this antique type sound and it reminds me of a purring black cat.

Adam Pascal
    *sigh* A man with a large Broadway voice with a rockstar edge. "One Song Glory" made me swoon the first time I saw "RENT" and I asked myself "Dayumn, who is this guy?". Oh, and the way he sings "Mimiiiiii" just before "I Should Tell You" makes me swoon. *sigh*

Lisa Gerrard (of Dead Can Dance)
    "The Host of Seraphim" has become one of my favorite songs and Lisa Gerrard is one of the main reasons. Her voice has an ancient, haunting quality to it that is just so myseterious and beautiful as the dark, hollow and archaic music swells behind her voice. *sigh* Stunning.

Craig David
    I'm not overly huge on R&B but Craig David has this incredibly smooth and slick quality to his voice that juxtaposes against the jittery beats he sings against...and what makes him even more surprising is the contrast between his singing voice and his speaking British accent.

Alicia Keys
    I still remember when "Fallin'" first came out, so many people (including myself) wanted to be her as we all tried singing her song and failing miserably. So much depth and soul in her voice but the songs I feel best showcase her fantastic voice are "How Come You Don't Call Me?", "Butterflyz" and "Caged Bird" (I feel the pain of this caged bird she sings about).

Christina Aguilera
    Okay, okay, truth be told, I could care less about her personality or her skanky wardrobe but you can't deny that she can sing her butt off. Sometimes I get irritated with the vocal acrobatics and such but when she just sings a song straight (like "I Turn To You" or "The Voice Within"), it truly is something beautiful and breathtaking.

Jacob Hoggard (of Hedley and Canadian Idol fame)
    When Jacob Hoggard first came into the Canadian Idol 2 auditions in Vancouver, I had somewhat mixed reactions to his voice. Then as the competition progressed, I had seen the passion, power and fun in his unique (well, for Idol standards) voice. During his run on CI, I had listened to the songs with his band Hedley and he has just fabulous moments on songs like "Gunnin'" and "'A' Song". While I do like "Trip", I still like my old school Hedley Jacob a lot along with his wacky CI persona.

Gwen Stefani
    Okay, I don't care so much for "Hollaback Girl" and "Rich Girl" but I love her stuff with No Doubt on tracks like "Just a Girl", "Spiderwebs" and "Underneath it All". God how I miss that Gwen.

Meshell Ndgeocello
    I'm not sure if she is a very well known artist but she has one of the most commanding, sultry and sexy voices that I've ever heard. When I say sexy, I don't mean as in vampy sex kitten but sexy as in strong, powerful and confident. Her collaborations with Basement Jaxx on the songs "Right Here's the Spot" and "Feels Like Home" first introduced me to her and I'm still hoping to hear more from her.

Joe (my friend)
    Okay, so he's not a famous person but I feel I should give him a mention because in all honesty, he has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. His voice never fails to make me happy and I still remember my school's Idol competition in which he sang and just about every girl in that auditorium cheered and swooned over him (myself included). I just can't wait to hear him in 10 or so years.

Okay, now that I've revealed all my choices, what are yours?

I think your choices are fantastic, Jen, and you clearly put a lot of thought into them. I agree with pretty much all of them, but I was especially pleased to see Dave Gahan, Stevie, Ian Curtis, and Siouxsie mentioned.

(Peripheral note: the inclusion of "Joe" made me think of the movie Say Anything and the 40 songs about Joe or whatever it was. Anyone else remember that? No? Okay.)

I think I posted in this thread a million years ago, but it's time for an update.

Freddie Mercury - Naturally.

Tim Buckley - I'm also a huge fan of his son, Jeff, who had the voice of an angel, but Tim's intense directness and emotion is, in my opinion, astounding.

Roy Orbison - My earliest memories of music are "Oh, Pretty Woman" and "In Dreams." His songs still stir me today.

Elizabeth Fraser - Possibly the most captivating singer I've heard. When you listen to the Cocteau Twins, you want to hear more and more fully realize the figure behind the scrim.

Nick Cave - Traditionally, my favorite male singers are tenors, but Nick's baritone is beautiful and captivating. It's beautiful with an edge to it, like someone who's been kicked around by the world and retains an elegance without hiding any of the scars.

Eric Clapton - Critics have complained about his vocals for years, and it still baffles me. He's got so much soul and raw emotion to his voice.

Morrissey - The quintessential, literate, British gentleman, who just happens to be filled with angst. When you're a fan of his music, you get to feel as though you know him, personally.

Sharon den Adel - Frontwoman for the symphonic metal group Within Temptation . . . she can do no wrong.

Toni Halladay - Shirley Manson wishes that she could sing like Toni.

Martin L. Gore - The "other guy" from Depeche Mode. Has a downright angelic voice.

Hope Sandoval - I dare you to listen to "Fade Into You" and not become enamored!

Billy Corgan - Definitely not one of the more polished voices out there, but I don't think you can doubt his sincerity. Besides, the Pumpkins are my musical comfort food.

Frank Black/Black Francis/Whatever he calls himself now - Who could resist his quirky, catchy melodies and the unearthly shriek of which he's capable?
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-07-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Ahhh, Mantenna, I've also thought about including Morrissey and now I thank you for telling me who the singer in Within Temptation is! "Our Farewell" has to be one of the saddest, most beautiful songs I've heard in quite a while.

"Our Farewell" has to be one of the saddest, most beautiful songs I've heard in quite a while.
    Without a doubt! I always get a little choked up when I hear that one. I'm impressed that you've heard of them, by the way.

Here's another singer that I just discovered, but already deserves a mention: Jimmy Scott. He's a jazz singer who, due to a rare hereditary condition called Kallmann's Syndrome, never experienced puberty. As a result, his voice is still like a boy soprano. Haunting and incredible!

MRD
    Mick Jagger
    Eric Clapton
    Elton John
    Leon Russell
    Leon Redbone
    Billie Holiday
    Aaron Neville
    David Bowie
    Freddy Mercury
    Patsy Cline
    Johnny Cash