+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 (or more) Favorite Singers?

MRD
    1. Mick Jagger
    2. Ray Charles
    3. Rod Stewart
    4. Patsy Cline
    5. Etta James
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey
    1-elton john
    2-boy george
    3-george michael
    4-another gay singer (somebody fill it in)
    5-another gay singer (somebody fill it in)

In no particular order

Frank Sinatra
    Weezer
    Madonna
    Metallica
    System of a Down

No particular order:

Incubus
    The Verve
    Robbie Williams
    Live
    Switchfoot
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Here are the singers whose voices have an eerie impact on me, making me cry, laugh, smile, and get ripples just listening to them. These singers could sing the phone book or their grocery lists as far as I'm concerned: I'd still go "that's... BEAUTIFUL!"

Men, contemporary:

1. Morrissey
    2. Nick Cave
    3. Michael Stipe (of R.E.M.)
    4. Ron Sexsmith
    5. Antony Hegarty (of Antony and the Johnsons)

Men, golden oldies category:

1. Frank Sinatra
    2. Al Green
    3. Johnny Cash
    4. Jimmy Scott
    5. Scott Walker

Women, contemporary:

1. Emmylou Harris (I suppose technically, she could qualify as a "golden oldie" but since she still makes fabulous music and moved me to tears when I saw her perform a few years ago, I'll put her in this category)
    2. Beth Orton
    3. Lucinda Williams (love her raw vulnerability!)
    4. Harriet Wheeler (of the Sundays)
    5. Hope Sandoval (of Mazzy Star)

Women, golden oldies:

1. Dusty Springfield (as far as I'm concerned, she's the best singer who ever lived.)
    2. Carole King
    3. Aretha Franklin
    4. Nina Simone
    5. Joni Mitchell

Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to just five. Honorary mentions to Rufus Wainwright, Thom Yorke, Neko Case, Liz Fraser, Jarvis Cocker, Paul McCartney, and the King himself, Elvis Presley.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

You know, geek, I just recently heard Morrissey for the first time (yeah, I know... ) and I was hooked. I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to check out more of his work. Any suggestions? From you and anyone else who's a fan here?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ooh, Morrissey is one of my all-time favorites! I'm glad you've discovered him.

I'd recommend starting with a compilation put out by Rhino called "The Best of Morrissey" and the Smiths "Singles" collection (you probably know this, but The Smiths were Morrissey's band through the '80s). Not only are these excellent overviews that will point you in the directions you'd most enjoy, but you can buy them together at a discount rate on Amazon.com.

I have to add that, between my mom and me, the Smiths compilation is basically worn out, and I only bought it a couple years ago. My favorite non-comp albums are, for solo Morrissey: "You are the Quarry" and "Vauxhall & I." For the Smiths, "The Queen is Dead" and "Strangeways, Here We Come."
    Last edited by Mantenna; 06-26-2006 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Manny needs a grammar lesson!

Your MOM and you? I keep forgetting how old you are, young Manny. I hope that my daughters and I will listen to some of the same music...but my oldest has recently asked me for a CD player and a Hilary Duff CD. On the upside, though, I was playing the soundtrack from Hedwig last night and she told me she liked it.

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually ordered the Morrissey one (a used one) from Amazon.ca (it's a little cheaper for me to order from Canada).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Your MOM and you? I keep forgetting how old you are, young Manny. I hope that my daughters and I will listen to some of the same music...but my oldest has recently asked me for a CD player and a Hilary Duff CD. On the upside, though, I was playing the soundtrack from Hedwig last night and she told me she liked it.

Thank you for the suggestions. I actually ordered the Morrissey one (a used one) from Amazon.ca (it's a little cheaper for me to order from Canada).
    AJane, there is hope. I had to suffer through spice girls, Brittany Spears, Josie and the Pussycats and FINALLY, FINALLY we can now listen to some of the same music. I taught her Rolling Stones, Cheap Trick and Neil Young and she taught me, Green Day and the Killers.

Its so nice when they leave the pop stuff behind. But I remember liking the Monkees so I guess we all have to develop our musical tastes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Male voices I like most:

Eddie Vedder
    Jim Morrison
    Elton John
    Chris Cornell
    Bono
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread