+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Time Worst Career Moves

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    Liz Phair and her poppy new look and sound? She was such a great angry grrlpower writer ...now i dunno?

Its because she made the mistake of leaving Chicago and moving to La La Land.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    What about Garth Brooks' foray as his alter ego "Chris Gaines"?

I thought that it was so weird that he felt the need to create this fictional person, complete with toupee and soul patch, in order to simply put out a record with Rock n' Roll music on it.

I remember when Garth Brooks hosted "Saturday Night Live" and the musical guest was Chris Gaines and he never broke from charecter during the musical numbers.

To an extent, David Bowie did the same thing when he created the charecter of Ziggy Stardust - but that was all campy tounge in cheek and part of an elaborate and bombastic stage show and conceptual album.

With Garth it seemed like he felt that if he put out a rock album as Garth Brooks that he would alienate his country music fans - so he created this other fictional person in order to show his harder edged side.

I'm not down on Garth about it. I think he is an extremely talented musician, song writer and seems like a really down to earth kinda guy. I just thought it was a strange career move and sort of weird.
    I'm a huge Garth fan and I had to deal with alot of people giving me grief about Garth going the Chris Gaines route....while it was different..that's what I loved about it the most. If you actually listened to the Chris Gaines CD it had some really good songs and if people listened to it, they wouldn't have known that it was Garth....I enjoyed the CD and would have loved to have seen the Chris Gaines movie played out. Ya gotta give Garth credit, he was willing to step outside the box irregardless of what people thought!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I must agree..Garth becoming Chris..what was wrong with him?

Whitney Houston's marriage to Bobby Brown. Ja Rule not responding back to 50 Cent. P. Diddy's "Making The Band 2"

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic277
    Jennifer Lopez and Gigli, that film's done a lot of damage to her career!

And that, I don't mind.

An honorable mention goes to Ashlee simpson for having the nerve.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Every time Kanye West opens his big mouth
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hillary Duff singing and acting!
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Jewel going all pop-tart. Her pretentious poet/singer/song-writer phase was obviously a facade, but jeez, how blatant a famewhore can one be. She has lost all credibility with anyone who bought her schtick in the first place.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Very true Rattus. Although I don't know what would have been worse for her image:

having a pretentious poet/singer/song-writer facade then revealing yourself as the true famewhore you are
    or

really being a (pretentious) poet/singer/song-writer but losing all originality and personality while whoring yourself to become famous.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Very true Rattus. Although I don't know what would have been worse for her image:

having a pretentious poet/singer/song-writer facade then revealing yourself as the true famewhore you are
    or

really being a (pretentious) poet/singer/song-writer but losing all originality and personality while whoring yourself to become famous.
    It's subjective, I guess. Famewhoring or regular whoring - which is the lesser of two pathetic evils? Beads of blood are welling from my forehead as I try to make a decision - huh, I'm stumped.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast