+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deceased Stars

FORT Fogey

Deceased Stars

I'd be very curious to hear what you all have to say about what sort of popularity and what sort of music you think certain deceased musicians would be producing if not for their untimely deaths.

Often times a person's demise can create a larger-than-life legend because of their death that they might not have continued to acheive had they lived.

Or they may have passed right when they were on the brink of even further changing the face of music forever.

For instance;

Would Ritchie Valens have been a one-hit wonder?

Would Buddy Holly be playing at county fairs and oldies revival shows?

Would Jimi Hendrix have experimented with disco or synthesizer music?

Would the Stones sound have followed a totally different direction if Brian Jones didnt drown and get replaced by Ronnie Wood?

Would Selena have been a flash-in-the-pan?

Would the Nirvana grunge attraction have worn off or would they have re-invented?

What sort of music would John Lennon be writing? Would the Beatles have reunited?

How would the Who sound in 2004 with Keith Moon?

The possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-04-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Interesting topic!

How about Led Zep if John Bonham had lived on? What direction would they have taken?

How much would Duane Allman, Terry Kath, and of course, Jimi have improved? That's kind of scary to think about.

This one doesn't really involve death, but it's an interesting "what if" that I just thought of. What if Tony Iommi had remained with Jethro Tull instead of joining Black Sabbath?

I have to strongly disagree with the speculation that Selena was or would have been a flash in the pan. The woman and her group flourished for years in the Tejano and spanish pop genres, and won at least one Grammy. It's just a shame that she was cut down in the midst of a crossover, and that leaves people with the impression that she was just a glimmer of success.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Aren't the Foo Fighters basically whats left of Nirvana?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Sort of. They're led by Dave Grohl, who was Nirvana's drummer. He, however, plays guitar and sings lead vocals in Foo Fighters. Pat Smear, who appeared on Nirvana's "Unplugged" concert, was also in the group.

I have no clue what happened to Nirvana's bassist. . . .

eny
    FORT Fogey

Oh . . . Thank you!

I agree with Texie about Selena I think she would have been a huge star.

What about Jim Morrison? I think he would have stopped performing altogether, and continued to hide out in Paris with his wife/girlfriend.

And of course, my idol Janis Joplin...I can't even imagine what would have become of her.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Gotta love Janis AJ I hope they don't do a biopic of her short life, I wanna keep my memories of her intact and unsullied. I grew up near her hometown.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast