+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Billy Jo - Today is the day!

FORT Fogey

Ode to Billy Jo - Today is the day!

Dont forget to take a moment to remember that today is the anniversary of the day that Billy Jo Mcallister jumped off the Tallahatchee Bri-idge.

"It was the third of June another dirty, dusty Delta day..."
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-03-2004 at 11:10 AM.

I love that song.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The husband and I finally got a view of the infamous Tallahatchie River in Mississippi. It was mostly brown and murky
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I was when I read the book, and at the movie...Robbie Benson, that immortal line..."Bobbie Lee...I...have...been...with.. .a...man".... oh heartbreak...now I'm sniffling again...thanks, Daddio...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJ, I was watching the movie not long ago, and got so bored that I fell asleep and never got to the whole scandalous part. I had to Google to find out what it was

The song rocks, though!

FORT Fogey
    I believe the scandal was that the mysterious thing that the girl (Glynnis O'Connor)was dropping into the river was - allegedly - a baby conceived by her and Billy Jo. Billy Jo freaked out when he heard and jumped off the bridge himself in a weird symbolism.

Major flaw - I mean who wouldnt want Robby Benson's baby?

Daddio, you mean that's the scandal in the song? Cos I read that in the movie he leaps to his death cos he had some sort of homosexual encounter and was so ashamed of it he killed himself. I was thinking "Billy Joe, dude, whatever "

FORT Fogey
    actually Texi i think you are right now that i think about it...now i am stumped too...darn it...maybe the song has the baby in a bundle scandal and the movie had the homosexual encounter scandal. oh gosh. where is Robby when we need him!

FORT Fogey
    then again...that Billy Jo never did have a lick of sense...pass the biscuits please....

I own the book (it has a picture of Robbie & Glynnis on the cover, with the bridge in the background) and yeah, he flung himself off the bridge after he did the nasty with Bobbie Lee, and THEN confessed that he had *been with a man*. Now, it HAS been awhile, but I do believe that Bobbie Lee may have ended up preggo with Billy Joe's kid, not finding out till after his suicide.

*sniff* Texie, did you drop some flowers over the bridge, like Bobbie Lee does at the end of the story?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast