+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too old to like new music

Too old to like new music

I am well into my thirties ( confession time ) and still love new music. BUT when I go into record shops I feel rather embarassed looking at the newer artists such as Keane, Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol, Muse, Franz Ferdinand etc. Feel I should be joining the other old fogies in the Country and Western section. So, have now taken to buying CDs online. Is it just me or does anyone else feel intimidated by record stores where the staff weren't even born when you bought your first Police LP.

I hear ya. The trick, of course, is to stay out of record stores and order stuff from Amazon or download from Kazaa

But as a fellow 30-something, I still like new music too, Belfastgirl. (Just with the volume turned down a little lower, please. )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I knew I was in trouble when I would look at the Top 10 songs and not recognize one of them. At best I'd recognize the name of some of the bands.

Another troubling sign was a few years ago when my local "new rock" (92.3 KRock in New York) station introduced a feature they called "retro cuts" or something to that effect that they used to mix in some 'classic rock' with the newer stuff, and they would play something like "Sweet Child of Mine' by Guns and Roses or something else from my High School or College years.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Ohhhh, FH, I know that pain, too - I'm like, "RETRO? Whaddaya mean, '80's retro?" Then I realize it was 20 years ago
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm in the club, too, guys! I almost passed out when I got my 20-year high school reunion invitation in the mail a couple weeks ago. Yikes! That's not possible!

My kids laugh at me in the car when I sing to D12 or OutKast. It IS a pretty silly sight to see "Mom" rappin'. LOL! I still love to listen to Howard Stern and watch MTV. Keeps us young, right?

I love the show "I Love the '80s"! I just can't believe it's been 20 years, though. Great times and awesome music!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

+ Reply to Thread