+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Britney gets the Boot from Pepsi

Britney gets the Boot from Pepsi

NEW YORK (AP) -- First Justin Timberlake, now Pepsi.

After two years, PepsiCo Inc. has said goodbye to Britney Spears as its spokeswoman and replaced her with Beyonce Knowles of the R&B trio Destiny's Child.

The 21-year-old is "a multitalented entertainer who has achieved tremendous success and popularity in both music and movies," Dave Burwick, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of Pepsi-Cola North America, said Tuesday.

Knowles' film credits include this summer's "Austin Powers in Goldmember" and a hip-hop version of "Carmen" that aired last year on MTV. Her first solo album is expected early next year.

She's agreed to star in two TV commercials for Pepsi. The campaign will include radio and Internet ads, point-of-purchase materials and consumer promotions. Pepsi also has the option to sponsor a solo concert tour, which Knowles is considering for 2003.

"I'm thrilled to be joining so many talented entertainers who have created memorable Pepsi moments over the years," she said.

Previous stars who've appeared in Pepsi ads include Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Robert Palmer.

The new spots will continue the "Joy of Pepsi" campaign, which Spears began in January 2001, Pepsi spokesman Bart Casabona said.

The company's contract with Spears expires at the end of this year, and Casabona said there are no plans to renew it.

But Spears' spokeswoman, Lisa Kasteler, said the end of the contract does not mean the pop star's relationship with Pepsi is over.

"They are in conversation ... I'm sure Britney would love to work with them more," Kasteler told The New York Times.

Pepsi declined to say when Knowles' commercials would begin airing. Financial terms of the agreement weren't disclosed.
    *http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

I don't think they tend to stick with people for more than a couple of years generally anyway.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Thank goodness. I will not have to dive for the remote again to avoid these horrible commercials. I hope they do a better job with Beyonce than they did with BS. I want a funny, entertaining or touching commercial; not something that inspires me to hurl. Like nails on a chalkboard; so are the commercials of Miss Spears.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I got one word:

YES!

Man, I was getting sick of seeing her in those ads.

JR.
    Pepsi can hear the clock ticking and they know her 15 minutes are almost up. She'll soon take her place on the Debbie Gibson/Tiffany pile.

except brit's place will be a lot comfier on that pile as she made million's and millions and millions of dollars while she had her 15 minutes....

but you never know.... i'm not so sure we've seen the last of miss brit as a hit.

I'm sure we haven't either.
    I think she still has some "mileage".
    "That's Numberwang!"

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I have heard the rumors before, but didn't think pepsi had anything to do with her bo.........oops. sorry that it said she got her boobs from pepsi. darn glasses, got to get new ones
    Last edited by joeguy; 12-18-2002 at 07:39 PM.

Britney's 'Coke' hell

by Claire Lakes, MegaStar UK

It’s not been a great year for Britney Spears who has been dumped by boyfriend Justin Timberlake, dumped on by the Press and has now dumped by Pepsi.

The fizzy drinks people have decided not to renew her £75m two-year deal, opting for Destiny Child’s stunning Beyonce Knowles instead.

It is, the papers agree, a bitter blow for Britney, prompting the Express to ask whether it could all be over for the 21-year-old.

“Her film debut Crossroads was panned,” it says; she “has surprised fans with her increasingly wild-child behaviour” and album sales are falling.

The company’s excuse? “Beyonce will help Pepsi reach consumers with a wider range of racial, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.”

But the Sun puts its finger on the real reason for Britney’s demise – she was spotted drinking a can of Coca-Cola during a trip to Australia.

And that really is unforgivable.

Typically crappy UK tabloid style article.

Britney appeals mostly to teens who are notoriously fickle.
    The trend has moved away from her sugary pop style to more rock or R&B influences. Even rap is popular with the likes of Nelly and Eminem being firm favourites.
    Pop just doesn't have a high profile right now.
    Instead of tying to grow as an artist and performer she has simply relied on shock tactics to keep herself in the public eye.
    Even the Spice Girls wrote their own material, Britney doesn't.

Behind the glitzy costumes and huge pyrotechnical stage shows she's a performer of very little substance.
    Last edited by fluff; 12-19-2002 at 09:59 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast