+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 80 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Concerts You Will Attend?

I Is Stephanie

Re: The Concerts You Will Attend?

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7;2537737;
    Don't you live in MA, Steph? If so, the only time Arlo has played in MA recently was in July, at the Nashua River Valley Folk Festival, which got good reviews and had many more people than you're mentioning. Otherwise in that state he's played at his own Guthrie Center, "The Church", which is a huge draw anytime he's there in person. He regularly sells out his shows.

If you're in another state, well, sorry, I still doubt he only drew 15 people. As Canuckinchile says, he is a legend, and he puts on a heck of a performance. Folk music really was the root of protest music, and Arlo's dad Woody, along with Pete Seeger were at the heart of it. Some might wonder why protest music of that era is relevant, and it's because without it, we wouldn't have bands/performers like Pearl Jam or Springsteen, Rage Against the Machine, etc, countless punk bands, singing songs about injustice. It's one thing for a band or performer to say they're "anti-establishment" to give themselves "credibility" but it's another thing entirely for them to actually know what it is they're against. When you go back to someone like Arlo, a person can get a grasp of history, of why this world is like it is...and be well entertained during the education.

William13, I hope you have a great time, I'm looking forward to hearing about it! Arlo's playing Carnegie Hall in November, I'd so love to see him there.
    Yeah, it's not listed anywhere, but he definitely played....it was just a little thing. It came and went without much buzz at all, which seriously surprised me.

I seriously only saw one ad for it the whole time. I know it sounds crazy, and you guys don't believe me, but I remember feeling upset that I didn't go.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2536622;
    Arlo Guthrie is a legend and I would give my eye teeth to see him. Have a great time William and tell us all about the concert! Arlo ranks up there with Bob Dylan.
    Out of about 50 concerts I've attended. Arlo Guthrie is probably the BEST one I've ever seen. He is so funny and his shows are great. He does a lot of different music (his, his dad's, Pete Segers and some other forms like delta blues, dixieland, etc.) and its awesome. I'd go see him again in a heartbeat.
    I'm sure he had a lot more than 15 fans. When I saw him in early 06 in Florida, it was sold out and there were a huge mix of ages in the audience. My daughter who is 16 loves folk music and a lot of the indie music she listens to from today is very reminiscent of 60's folk. She loves Arlo and Dylan, Joni Mitchell, etc.

Dylan is playing here in Sept. with Elvis Costello. I would LOVE to go, but geez, the tickets must be made of gold. I know its Dylan, but I swear regular people just can't go to concerts anymore. $175 each. $350 for me and hubby and my daughter wants to go and I just can't afford to shell out over $500 for concert tickets even if it is a legend.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-25-2007 at 08:39 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

^^^ Maybe you can pay the $500 for Dylan & ask for a big chunk of it back for having to sit through Elvis Costello. Sorry, not a fan of EC.

Not a fan of . . . Elvis . . . Costello?

I somehow forgot to even post about this, probably because it's so surreal. In October, I'm going to see one of my longtime favorites, The Smashing Pumpkins! I'm unbelievably excited, especially since I never thought I'd get to see them due to the breakup back in 2000. James and D'arcy won't be there, so it won't be quite the same, but the heart and soul of the band are still there with Billy and Jimmy.

William, you're going to an Arlo concert? You're going to have a terrific time, and yes, we want details! Many years ago the Mr. and I saw him in Hawaii (I think he lives there, right?), when we were there on vacation. I've loved him ever since I heard Alice's Restaurant back in the late 60's. He also had a minor part on a television show that didn't last very long, but I looked forward to him every week.

Congrats, MB and Manny for getting tickets to your concerts, too. They both sound like a lot of fun.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

My Van Halen tickets arrived today! I'm so excited!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2545311;
    ^^^ Maybe you can pay the $500 for Dylan & ask for a big chunk of it back for having to sit through Elvis Costello. Sorry, not a fan of EC.
    Ah, but I like Elvis Costello a lot too. That's why I'm so bummed. I think it's a great lineup for this concert. Still, I don't have that kind of dough.
    Going to try to win tickets on the radio.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2545548;
    William, you're going to an Arlo concert? You're going to have a terrific time, and yes, we want details! Many years ago the Mr. and I saw him in Hawaii (I think he lives there, right?), when we were there on vacation. I've loved him ever since I heard Alice's Restaurant back in the late 60's. He also had a minor part on a television show that didn't last very long, but I looked forward to him every week.

Congrats, MB and Manny for getting tickets to your concerts, too. They both sound like a lot of fun.
    Arlo was living in a converted Coast Guard Station on the East Coast of Florida until 2004 and the hurricane's damaged it. We saw him about 6 months after that. In 2005, not 2006. He talked about losing his home. I'm not sure where he lives now.

Def Leppard will be here on Thursday. I'm debating to go or not......I hate concerts on workdays!!!!!

Go. I loved Def Leppard live. (yeah, I know, bad influence)
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread