+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 79 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Concerts You Will Attend?

MRD

Re: The Concerts You Will Attend?

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2376959;
    I have always been a huge fan of Southern Rock. A lot of my music collection is taken up with the stuff.

I had tickets to see the Allman Brothers at the Hollywood Bowl but Greg got “sick” & they cancelled. But for my money they may have been the best American Rock band ever.

I never had an opportunity to see Marshal Tucker, but I was at the music store to buy all of their albums every time they released a new one.

I saw Skynyrd at the Forum in LA 2 weeks before the release of their first album. They were touring with & opening for The Who during the Quadrophenia tour. No one had a clue who they were, but after they finished Freebird & left the stage everybody was sure interested in finding out more.

Maybe the weirdest pairing I ever saw was in Long Beach & Charley Daniels opened for Eric Clapton. Weird show, but still a great one.

I saw Elvin Bishop open for Stephen Stills one night & Bishop was so good people booed & walked out on Stills.

Pure Prairie League was really good before, during & after the Vince Gill era. Poco was always good & Rusty Young is an incredible multi instrumentalist. The Amazing Rhythym Aces were to short lived. I don’t know if you could classify The New Riders of the Purple Sage as Southern Rock or not but they were definitely as much Country as anything even though they were from San Francisco. And then there was the band that could put on a stage show that would leave all these others behind, & that was the overlooked & much underrated Black Oak Arkansas. You talk about a bunch of guys that could get a crowd on their feet & dancing, that was BOA.

And then maybe my all time favorite band (other than the Beatles) was The Ozark Mountain Daredevils. I just really liked their style, their sound, & the fact that they had no pretentions.

So Southern Rock rules the roost around my house.
    I have a very rare Duane Allman Anthology collection on LP. 2 Volume's. Plus I have the box set (both LP and CD) anthologies of the Allman Brothers. And I have several of their original albums as well. I agree, I think they may be one of the best bands ever. My only regret is that I had the opportunity to meet Dickey Bett's and didn't take it. My husband worked for a man that built Bett's house near Sarasota Florida and played golf with him. He invited him to his annual Christmas party and that was the year I couldn't go and I can't remember why. I even have the original "Great Southern" album that Bett's put out with his own band, years ago.

OMG! You've mentioned bands that have been my favorites for ages and I get the strangest looks when I mention some of them as it seems that a lot of people just look at me and go "who?". I even like the Atlanta Rhythym Section and I know a lot of people that really hated them.

I have Poco, Pure Praire League, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Elvin Bishop, Wet Willie, Blackfoot, and of course, Skynyrd, MTB, CDB and others on my ipod. I am now rushing off to get some BOA, Amaz. Rythm Aces and OMD as I had completely forgotten about them.

I saw Molly Hatchet open for Charlie Daniels in 1978 and we al lthought "who?", but afterwards, everyone rushed out to get their album as well.

I saw MTB about 10 years ago and have to say it was the WORST concert I ever went too. They were purely awful. I was so disappointed as I too had all their albums and loved their music. Still do, but according to my friend's uncle, they have been very self destructive since the 1980's and none of the original musicians remain except one.

One of my favorite bands was Little Feat. I had tickets to see Lowell George (who was touring solo) in Richmond Virginia in the summer of 1979. He died just a few days before the concert.
    I don't know if Little Feat is truly considered Southern Rock, but their song Dixie Chicken is a favorite of mine.

Southern Rock is great, but has sort of disappeared as a genre. It's either now classified as Rock or Country, which is a shame as there were some GREAT (and still are) Southern Rock bands making music.

I had a roommate in college that was from New Jersey (this was in 1981) and she introduced me to Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Springsteen, The Boomtown Rats and I introduced her to Southern Rock. Pretty good exchange as it broadened my musical tastes. But still I come back to Southern Rock.

So do you know how many of these bands still tour? Obviously Skynyrd, CDB, MTB, Outlaws, but what about the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2378073;
    I love Marshall Tucker, I saw them when I was in college back in the 70's. The funny thing is, a few years ago my nephew was looking for one of their albums. My SIL had no idea who they were but I knew exactly where to find them. He's a senior in college, so their music is still popular even with the next generation.

We just got tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot. I haven't seen him since I was in college either.
    I would love to see Lightfoot. I still get teased about a faux pas calling his song the "Wreck of the ELLA Fitzgerald"

Everyone tells me I need to go to Spartanburg (only 30 min. up the road) and eat at the Beacon. It is lined with pictures of the Marshall Tucker Band and they used to hang out there all the time.
    According to my friends uncle, that is where their tourbus left from. All the guys would have their wives or girlfriends bring them to The Beacon to drop them off and the owner would haul boxes of food into the tourbus for them for the road.

Ramblin' and Fire on the Mountain are my 2 favorite songs by them.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-09-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

So far, the only concert I've got tickets to this summer is the Doobie Brothers. I've never seen them in concert so I think it will be fun. Besides, the concert is at a winery so we can bring food and buy a bottle of wine there to drink during the concert.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;2379280;
    So far, the only concert I've got tickets to this summer is the Doobie Brothers. I've never seen them in concert so I think it will be fun. Besides, the concert is at a winery so we can bring food and buy a bottle of wine there to drink during the concert.
    The Doobies put on a great show. One song that really sticks out for me was Pure As The Driven Snow. Wonderful song & memorable performance.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'll second the sentiment that the Doobies put on a good show!

I saw them and Chicago in concert a couple of years ago in Nashville and towards the end of their set, the Doobies brought out some of their own kids to play instruments. I always joke about getting to see the Little Doobies play!

If only Michael McDonald was still with them......

I saw Charlie Daniels back in the 80's at one of the many June Jams (the band Alabama's all day music festival they put on in their hometown of Ft. Payne, Alabama) I attended. I think that was before Charlie became "a good Christian" because he was still raising a ruckus and let a few words fly during "Devil went down to Georgia"!
    Last edited by bbnbama; 05-10-2007 at 01:06 AM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2379303;
    The Doobies put on a great show. One song that really sticks out for me was Pure As The Driven Snow. Wonderful song & memorable performance.
    The Doobies suck. Pure as Driven Snow is their worst song.

MRD

Mariner, that sounds like a GREAT venue to see a concert! And the Doobie Brothers too. You should have a GREAT time!

Quote Originally Posted by waspylookin;2380900;
    The Doobies suck. Pure as Driven Snow is their worst song.
    That is such a very compelling argument that I have to stand corrected. Thanks so much.

I'm going to see Nickel Creek tonight because they released some seats in the 16th row this afternoon.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

There one coming in August that I would like to see. It is called the "80's Invasion". Warrant, Firehouse and LA Guns. I so want to see that one.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2382892;
    There one coming in August that I would like to see. It is called the "80's Invasion". Warrant, Firehouse and LA Guns. I so want to see that one.
    We're getting something similar. Styx, Foreigner and 2 others that I can't remember. Maybe Loverboy and Survivor or something like that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Styx, but not a huge fan of the others.

Grand Illusion was such a great album, (well I had it on 8 track if that tells you anything. It got played a LOT!)

+ Reply to Thread