+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Madonna Announces "Re-Invention" Tour

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar

Madonna Announces "Re-Invention" Tour

I thought this is a great way to start discussing some music topics from all the "moved" Music threads gone.

Madonna Announces "Re-Invention" Tour

She has played material girl, sex kitten, theologian and anti-capitalist activist, and this summer Madonna is getting ready to reinvent herself again.

The pop legend is in rehearsals for a summer swing through North America that she's winkingly calling her Re-Invention Tour. The show will feature songs spanning her entire career, according to her management. Madonna's tour will launch May 24 in Los Angeles and will run through August 1 in Miami. So far, 13 dates have been scheduled, but additional concerts will soon be announced.

Madonna's most recent record, American Life, came out April 22 and has sold 630,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Madonna summer tour dates, according to Warmer Bros. Records:

5/24 - Los Angeles, CA @ Forum
    5/29 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena
    6/8 - San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
    6/13 - Washington, DC @ MCI Center
    6/16 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
    6/17 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
    6/27 - Boston, MA @ Worcester Centrum
    7/4 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center
    7/11 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
    7/18 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
    7/24 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
    7/28 - Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Office Depot Center
    8/1 - Miami, FL @ American Airlines Arena

FORT Fogey
    Sounds like Maddie needs to make up her mind...

Is is a "Re-invention" tour or is it a "Greatest Hits" tour???

Madonna - who I truly admire for a number of reasons, including her chameloeon like adaptability - is sadly finding herself with dwindling popularity - dabbling in off-beat spirituality and fake British accents, and really bad movie decisions didnt help.

Maddie is usually very adept and finding how to push her target audiences buttons but has been scrambling of late. Usually a "Greatest Hits" tour equates to an "Hey I am Still Alive" tour or "I need a few bucks" tour. Nothing wrong with either one. The Stones have been doing it for decades.

However, I - personally - think that it was a mistake for her to try and ride the coat-tails of her far less talented proteges - and shoot for the mall-set crowd.

Many of Madonna's fans are quite loyal - but many are also in their 40's - just as she is. So if Madonna does indeed want to re-invent herself again she would be better suited to re-invent herself towards an older - more sophisticated audience - rather than try and be part of the hip pop set.

I know I would - personally - prefer to hear her sing Broadway, Sondheim, Lloyd Weber, Carpenters, Beatles, Bread, etc. as well as some of her better songs and ballads than see her embarass herself in videos or on-stage in comprimsing postions with 20 something pop-tarts.

Yes Madonna has always sold on her sexuality and been about the "shock value" but she never seemed to need to sink to "cheap thrills" before. She always did things with a certain wit and a wink of the eye. Like an inside joke we were all in on. Her performance style was like a fine and sophisticated but decadent meal served "tongue in cheek". Not a "tounge in mouth" sandwich between two peices of moldy bread.

Atrists like Barbara Streisand, Paul McCartney, Dianah Ross, Bette Midler, Neil Diamond, Johnny Mathis, Chicago, the Moody Blues, Genesis, Sting Eric Clapton and so many others, all started out their careers as inovators and ground breakers in music - many in Top 40 pop music, screaming teenagers and the whole bit. But they all also matured as did their music as they got older and this enabled them to continue to be living legends moving forward, rather than faded stars clinging to past glories.
    Last edited by Daddio; 03-25-2004 at 05:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread