+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone listen to foreign music?

Much of what I hear on the radio is foreign to me as in "How the #@% did this person/group get a record contract.
    When it comes to my listening pleasure I like Cesaria Evora from the Cape Verde Islands Serge Gainsbourg from France and Rosa Passos from Brasil

I love foreign music. I'm addicted to Claude Challe's Nirvana Lounge cd's and a compilation of Middle Eastern music called Desert Rose which features some great artists like Natacha Atlas and Cheb Mami. I also like the Six Degrees Travel series, especially Asian Travels. What else do I listen to.....Oh yes, I listen to Thalia, Mana, and bolero/trio music. I absolutely love flamenco! Paco de Lucia, Gipsy Kings, Oscar Lopez, some really great stuff. Love it, love it, love it.
    Ludicrous speed!

I love Latin music, particularly Shakira and Enrique Iglesias. I like their English stuff, too, but both sing better in Spanish in my opinion, especially Enrique.

I know what you mean, DJeterFan. I think what also annoys me is when they adapt their old hits for an English-speaking audience, and the lyric translations are so crappy (e.g. Shakira's "Ojos Asi" and "Eyes Like Yours"). I'd rather just hear it in the Spanish.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by charstar813
    I love foreign music. I'm addicted to Claude Challe's Nirvana Lounge cd's and a compilation of Middle Eastern music called Desert Rose which features some great artists like Natacha Atlas and Cheb Mami. I also like the Six Degrees Travel series, especially Asian Travels. What else do I listen to.....Oh yes, I listen to Thalia, Mana, and bolero/trio music. I absolutely love flamenco! Paco de Lucia, Gipsy Kings, Oscar Lopez, some really great stuff. Love it, love it, love it.
    Oh, I love that music as well...Challe, Middle Eastern beats, flamenco....so many! It's intoxicating!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I know Manny and I are both Zucchero fans .
    You don't have to speak Italian to appreciate he's great.
    http://www.zucchero.it/english/english.htm

Also My Av girl - Bif Naked is Canadian , but since a bunch of the site members are also canuck it may not be "foreign". I don't think she's in the US though.

Celine Dion was a great singer before she went English. Listen to her old French albums.
    Last edited by eny; 05-28-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Hey, my name was mentioned! Yep, Zucchero is awesome, as Eny said.

Another awesome foreign group is the Netherlands-based Within Temptation. They're an ethereal mix of goth metal and celtic-esque folk, but that description doesn't really do them justice. I don't know if you can really put a "label" on them as this or that. They're amazing, and I know Snowy, Silverstar, and Crissy would back me up on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    They're amazing, and I know Snowy, Silverstar, and Crissy would back me up on that one.
    Yep! Everyone should listen to their music.
    SFG, I Juanes! Tarkan has very catchy songs, too.

Well, I listen to a lot of French music. I remember someone from the FORT who knew the singer Mélanie Renaud. She has the most amazing voice. There's also some "old singers" from France, like Serge Gainsbourg, Joe Dassin, Jacques Brel etc.
    Another one I love is Gérard DePalmas, he has more contemporary music.
    I could go on and on!

Woohoo, Within Temptation Dogpile!

Yes, I love them and credit Manny with my obsession.

Silverstar, isn't Juanes an amazing singer, musician, songwriter and...easy on the eyes, as it were? I like Tarkan too, though I haven't heard much more than a couple of the more popular singles.

I'm not familiar with French music beyond Edith Piaf. I'd love to listen to some more (as I love the language), particularly contemporary stuff, but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions for me?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    .......I'm not familiar with French music beyond Edith Piaf. .......
    We used to listen to her. I had not idea what she was singing about but, the emotion in her voice was what we wanted to hear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast