+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: John Stevens (AI 3)

CharlaFan
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    John has a distinctive voice, unique even for the classic balladeers like Sinatra, Bennett etc. It kinda fascinates me. And I don't have a clue how he'll handle more contemporary stuff--the suspense is killing me.
    if he makes it, it will be funny to see him go at it when they do stuff like disco or country night

vanillakraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass
    He's got a very good voice. But I don't think he's a star. Norah Jones is very musically gifted- not just a singer, but in the way she constructs her music. John is just another pretty voice. I see him singing at weddings, maybe even cruise ships. He can making a living singing, but he's not a star.

WOW! You can tell all that just by the couple minutes of airtime he's had.?.

overthetop
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    John has a distinctive voice, unique even for the classic balladeers like Sinatra, Bennett etc. It kinda fascinates me. And I don't have a clue how he'll handle more contemporary stuff--the suspense is killing me.
    I agree. It is exciting, and I'm looking forward to tonight for partially this same reason. I only wish that John were a bit older so, if he faulters or doesn't transition well beyond Big Band, it wouldn't be maturity that is a factor.

His voice reminds me of Bing Crosby, not Dean or Frank.

I saw a "vote for me" commercial by Jon of the tv last night.
    He had changed his hairstyle slightly and didn't look quite so terrified by the sight of the camera.

I think he could get through due to the fact he has built something of a fan base, but I just can't see him being all that versatile with the themes.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I was surprised that I didn't hate the sound of his voice last night, the performance was very boring to me though.
    I think he needs more experience though.
    As I said in the show discussion thread, I think he's in this show a couple of seasons too soon.
    "That's Numberwang!"

overthetop
    I really felt for John last night. He has a great, great tone to his voice, and seems real likable, but that's it. No power at all, limited range, and Simon was right about the showmanship. He's just not mature enough to "sell" it. I see the logic, musically, of picking the Billy Joel song that he did, but it's like John, and anyone else whose opinion he got, didn't listen to the words. "She's always a woman to me." Who? Your 15 year old girlfriend? It's meant for a singer who's been jerked around by women for real, as an adult. (I'm sympathetic though--at age 14 I publicly sang a torch song about an "experienced" woman who's loved and lost a thousand times. So John doesn't have the prize on mismatched song subject/singer.)

I really wanted John to go through because I do love listening to the tone of his voice a lot. And I agree with the comment that he sounds like Bing. But I think John should start working on another song for wildcard week.

I think he has the best potential to be the best male in the competition.. In the hollywood (last) auditions, he did have great power and range, and I think that's why the judges put him through. I do think he has stage presence, you can just look into his eyes when he sings, and you can feel a ... sweet calmness. I think he super-cute (btw, too young for me), and his voice doesn't match his looks. His voice is mature, and I think, within the finals week, he would do much better. He doesn't need to do more stage movements, he's one of the few who doesn't need to do anything but sing to connect to the audience. That's jmho. I look forward to seeing more of him, that is if he goes through.
    Something I wasn't sure of, but I was in the middle of, Something I forget now - Keane, This is the last time

Quote Originally Posted by acclyaimed4
    and you can feel a ... sweet calmness.
    That is exactly it, "sweet calmness". That is what he is, soothing for ears and mind. I actually thought the same about Ruben (soothing voice) after his first performance, then of course Ruben was much more mature and experienced on stage compared to this young fellow. But John Stevens has so much potential, even Simon the Terrible likes the potential of this boy
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

+ Reply to Thread