+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kid Rock

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Kid Rock

What a surprise - I start a thread on Kid Rock. I have listened to the new CD that just came out. Over and over.

It is an excellent CD. If you have heard his previous music, mostly rap and hip-hop with a touch of rock, and haven't been all that taken with it, you will be surprised by Kid's new style. There are several country/western - sounding songs. Hank Jr., Sheryl Crow, Rob Coltrane, etc. It has a versatile feel with that touch of KR rock. Very enjoyable. And not just because I'm a huge fan. It's a great cd.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Kid Rock singing Country Music ? Wow... That itself is a shocker...

Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    Kid Rock singing Country Music ? Wow... That itself is a shocker...

Well, it's not your typical Kid Rock is what I am trying to say. Of course there's the cover of Feel Like Making Love, and some songs with Hank Jr. It's more of a country/punk/funk/rock. KR is known for mixing styles (i.e. that's why they call his music polyfusion). It's definitely worth a listen. I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't think you smarties with taste would like it. Like I have never suggested the other two cds I have....you'll see, it will take off. Too bad I don' get residuals and points off the back. Stupid lawyers!

It bugs me a little that KR has "gone country", I guess. When I see him on CMT, things have gone south.

I really enjoyed MOST of his first CD - "Bawitdaba" and a few other notable songs on there were very good. And even his "countrified" "Only God Knows Why" wasn't bad.

But if he's going to do angry rap, Eminem does it better. If he's going to do country, MANY do it better. He needs to stick with what he does well, which is more of a "hard rock hip hop" style which he does better than anyone in that area.

I hate to see artists try to step outside of their box and completely blow off their original fans. There's safely trying to expand your musical style (i.e. Linkin Park's latest CD), and there's completely changing your style to chase the money...

Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    I understand what you are saying, John. It's sort of like Kid Rock has given into the "marketing machine." He has said many times that he is in it for the money. Well the money is in mainstream music, obviously.

I was the West Coast VP of A&R for a NYC production company - oohhh - impressive, eh? Well it got me into meet celebs and backstage parties, both of which I love. In any event, most of my job consisted of scouting talent. It seems the hardest thing for musicians (i.e., garage bands, etc.) to understand is that if they "only want to be in it for the music, man, I just want to share my talent;" fine, but don't come to me and expect to make any money. If you want to make money - you have to market your product.

KR had marketing figured out from day one: "Give the people what they want." Devil Without a Cause, while containing mostly rap and hip-hop, is still selling. In my opinion, possibly both the lyrics and the music were both too angry. Although I own the cd and play it incessantly. I suggest KR leave the anger to Eminem.

Cocky. Although, in my opinion, Cocky was better than Devil Without a Cause; a little more diverse with some toned-down lyrics, it still might be a bit too hip-hop for the masses. I believe Cocky certainly had better marketing, and although it may have been edgy, KR had an audience familiar with his work and they bought the cd. And the merchandise. KR obviously has a self-effacing sense of humor about himself and his success.

In an interview with KR about five years ago, he talked about his idea of plolyfusion. At that time he had released a cd named Polyfusion, which didn't sell so well. The polyfusion method is a mix of different music styles to escape being pidgeon-holed. Even then, KR said he wanted to do a project with the likes of Hank Jr., Sheryl Crow, David Coe and even Willie Nelson, among others from that genre. Well, he certainly made good on that project.

Rock is much more toned down than the previous releases. Although it has a touch of country/western, the cd is a mixture of the Detroit rock scene, blues, jazz and some hip-hop rock. The album is not receiving great reviews, doubting his new sound and artistic ability. However, if you haven't liked KR's hip-hop style in the past, I suggest you give this new one a try. It's surprisingly good.

heh heh - Sunday morning fuzzy brain...sorry....

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Well maybe Pamelda Anderson have something to do with... ... Just a thought. But I still can't imagine his face on a country song... It just can't fit it still. Well, let's just wait for his video to surface. Then I will have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I really enjoyed MOST of his first CD - "Bawitdaba" and a few other notable songs on there were very good. And even his "countrified" "Only God Knows Why" wasn't bad.

But if he's going to do angry rap, Eminem does it better. If he's going to do country, MANY do it better. He needs to stick with what he does well, which is more of a "hard rock hip hop" style which he does better than anyone in that area.

I hate to see artists try to step outside of their box and completely blow off their original fans. There's safely trying to expand your musical style (i.e. Linkin Park's latest CD), and there's completely changing your style to chase the money...

Actually, (Devil Without a Cause) Bawitdaba (which I never did understand) was not KR's first cd. I think it was about his 7th. Of course none of them were commercial successes, mostly because of promotion. Or lack of it. KR ran his own production company and sold his own hand-made cds. I think the countrified style of "Only God Knows Why" used to be called a "power ballad". Remember those days? Long, long ago?

You are right about Eminiem, and I said basically the same thing in my post. Eminem is the "angry white guy" and should stick with that. It works for him. Very well, too. At the same time, I am glad that KR has the talent, ability and guts to step outside that box and try new things. And I also mentioned in my post - the music biz IS all about making money. I don't know any original fans heh heh, I hope John doesn't find me too unruly with my posts and ban me, just as KR was getting over PamAn. I was all ready to be "rebound girl"!who have been blown off by "Rock". Although the music machine is about making money, who of us knows why KR changed his style to chase the money? Maybe he just wanted to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    Well maybe Pamelda Anderson have something to do with... ... Just a thought. But I still can't imagine his face on a country song... It just can't fit it still. Well, let's just wait for his video to surface. Then I will have to see.

First, there is a song on the new cd about Pam, and he's none to happy with her. He really loved her - you could just see his heart melt when he looked at her. Or maybe it was just her humongous, er, lungs. But speaking of videos - have you never seen "Picture" with Sheryl Crow? Excellent song and it's a good video.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast