+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ozzy May Never Sing Again

Ozzy May Never Sing Again

Ozzy May Never Sing Again

Last Update: 12/11/2003 12:29:27 PM

Rocker Ozzy Osbourne may never sing again after the horrific ATV accident this week which almost left him paralyzed.

Osbourne broke six ribs, a collarbone and a vertebra in his neck after losing control of the vehicle in the grounds of his Buckinghamshire, England, estate on Monday.

Doctors at Wexham Park Hospital in Slough, south England, where Ozzy is being treated in intensive care, say the singer is making slow progress - but they fear he may never regain his voice.

Medical director Dr. Dick Jack says, "He is not physically able to come off the ventilator yet. While he has got a tube in his throat he can't talk but, while awake, he has been making progress with people. His progress will be slow."

When asked if the 55-year-old former Black Sabbath front man will be able to speak once the tube has been removed; Jack responded "we don't know."
    http://www.wtev.com/entertainment/st...F-1CBC962992D1

I'm feeling really bad about this. I had no idea his injuries were this bad.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Ooh. We are missing out on another legendary artiste. Hope that is not true and fate can change it.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    Ooh. We are missing out on another legendary artiste. Hope that is not true and fate can change it.

I couldn't agree with you more ARG. I hope this tragic news is not true.

That was a pretty lame response by the doc to the question of whether he would ever speak again. The tube in his throat, per se, shouldn't really affect if he will ever speak again. That only happens sometimes when it is left in for long periods of time (weeks) or improperly placed. It is so helpful to have a mum who is a nurse.

The whole speaking thing is a moot point, as I just read my morning paper. Ozzy woke up after being sedated for two days and whispered, "I love you" to his family. Good news for his fans.

I heard news that he was back to normal, and still can joked around, quoted from Kelly Osbourne.

ARG, I'm not sure where you're getting that news... This is an article yesterday afternoon from E! Online:

Ozzy's Near-Death Experience
    Fri Dec 12, 4:45 PM ET

By Josh Grossberg

The Prince of F---ing Darkness came dangerously close to meeting the Grim Reaper.

Sharon Osbourne has revealed in a newspaper interview that Ozzy had stopped breathing and had no pulse after crashing his ATV Monday.

The Osbourne matriarch, speaking to London's Daily Mirror, said the crash was more serious than initially reported and Ozzy may have lost his life if not for a quick-acting security guard.

"[Ozzy] had stopped breathing and the guard spotted it immediately," Sharon said. "He had stopped breathing for a minute and a half and there was no pulse. But thank God the security guard was there to revive him. He resuscitated him and got him breathing and his pulse going again. We are so, so grateful to him."

Her statements were later confirmed by the couple's publicist.

He needed emergency surgery to restore blood flow to a major artery and alleviate bleeding in his lungs. Doctors have since stabilized the heavy metal icon and say he's making a "steady recovery."

"With each day he becomes less dependent on the ventilator," hospital director Dr. Dick Jack said Friday in a statement. "It is still too early to take him off entirely. Otherwise, he is well, with no complications.

Ozzy remains heavily sedated and unable to speak because of the tube in his mouth, according to Sharon, who flew to London from Los Angeles immediately after getting word to be by his side. But yesterday, he managed to mouth the words "I love you" to daughter Kelly Osbourne and give her a thumbs-up before drifting into unconsciousness again.

The 51-year-old Sharon also lashed out at American Idol judge Simon Cowell for telling a British television network earlier this week that the accident may have been a publicity stunt to drum up record sales for "Changes," Ozzy's new Christmas duet with Kelly.

"Some people may even say he fell off the tractor on purpose. He might be quite lucky. It is going to help his record sales," Cowell said on Tuesday. "He will be all right. He's had worse."

Sharon said she wishes she "could tar and feather Cowell...and handcuff him to a lamppost in Piccadilly...To think that anyone would stage an accident like this to get publicity is sick. He is sick to think of this. You have to have a very sad mind to come up with something like this. I feel sorry for him, really, really sorry for him."

That prompted Cowell to issue an apology, saying he hadn't realized the extent of Ozzy's injuries. "I thought Ozzy had a broken collarbone and that was all. That was bad enough, but that was all I knew at the time," Cowell said. "What I meant was 'that is the bad news, but the good news is the record is doing well.' I had no idea that Ozzy was far more seriously ill. I apologize unreservedly for the way it has been put across. I wish Ozzy a speedy recovery."

Meanwhile, Sharon issued a statement to fans: "I want to thank everybody that's written in and sent all their good wishes and prayers for Ozzy, and to assure you that he's doing just fine, and we send you all our love.

She also indicated she will remain with Ozzy in England at least through next week, and has lined up several fill-in hosts for her talk show, including D.L. Hughley, Anthony Anderson, Dan Cortese and daughter Kelly.

I read it off a newspaper, but I couldn't find the article.

*****FRESH INFORMATION*****

I have fresh information from www.ozzy.com about his conditions...

DECEMBER 12, 2003
    OZZY UPDATE
    Sharon, Aimee, Kelly and Jack want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and concern for Ozzy following his accident on Monday at his home in Buckinghamshire, England in which he broke eight ribs, his collarbone and a vertebra which requires him to have a 7 inch steel plate attached to the back of his neck. Ozzy needed to have emergency surgery to repair an artery that had been damaged during the accident.

Here's an update on how Ozzy's doing today:

According to,Dr. Dick Jack, the Medical Director at Wexham Park Hospital in Slough, south England, "Mr Osbourne had a good, comfortable night. He is progressing well, but slowly. With each day he becomes less dependent on the ventilator. It is still too early to take him off entirely."

Kelly briefly addressed the media at the hospital on Wednesday to update the press on her dad's condition. Kelly said, "he woke up today, but he can't speak because of the tube. He's able to mouth words and he told us he loved us. He's been complaining about the nurses, so we know he's all right. He gave me the thumbs up and stuck his tongue out at me."

Sharon spoke about Ozzy's progress via a videotaped message that aired on her daytime talk show in the U.S. Sharon remarked that "Ozzy is doing really well. He's still in the ICU, but he's doing really good ?he's very stable."

Contrary to rumors that Ozzy's doctors have said that he may not be able to get back on stage for a year, please note that no such statements have been made. Ozzy has had no vocal cord or windpipe damage whatsoever.

Dr. Jack promises that he "will give a further update on Mr. Osbourne's condition on Monday morning."

Please check in at here at Ozzy.com for updates on Ozzy's condition.

+ Reply to Thread