+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pink floyd rocks!!!!

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I heard of their names, but seriously, I never heard of a track from them...

Uh, no. Dark Side of the Wall was an Import. Uh Yea, that's it. That and Saucer Full of Animals can only be found in a market deep in Istanbul.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62
    I love Pink Floyd. My favorite albums are
    1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Final Cut
    3. Meddle
    4. Animals
    5. The Wall
    6. Dark Side of the Wall
    7. Ummagumma

I don't like anything post Roger Waters.
    i'm with you on that list... interesting that you ahve Final Cut #2, quite possible their most underrated album. I'm not a huge fan of post Waters floyd- but i did like momentary lapse of reason- also am not a big fan of the album the wall- i love the movie (have it on dvd)- but it's tough to listen to without the visuals...

Final Cut never gets the credit it deserves.
    A cool visual of The Wall is the Roger Waters Live In Berlin video. It's a interesting stage adaptation of the album and film, done against the Berlin Wall right before it was torn down. Van Morrison's version of Comfortably Numb is wonderful and the Scorpions opening with In The Flesh is a great variation.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Pink Floyd is the reason I'm married. In high school, my then future hubby brought his Wall album into music appreciation class. When I heard the song Hey You for the first time I knew he was the one for me. Been married 13 years.

Pink Floyd's music is a wonderful thing.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    i could see where Hey You was a romantic song:

But it was only a fantasy
    The wall was too high as you can see
    No matter how he tried he could not break free
    And the worms ate into his brain.

i'm not sure a music appreciation class was the place to review this album- unless of course your teacher had a phD in pyschology as well...

No silly . I know the song's not romantic one. I just liked it is all. And hubby was/is the dark long haired brooding type - my type. The song just put an exclamation point on that.

As for music appreciation: Every Friday, two students were allowed to bring an album of their choice, as a reward type thing. It wasn't for grades or anything.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan. I love concert DVD's. I'll have to check it out.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    i'm not sure a music appreciation class was the place to review this album- unless of course your teacher had a phD in pyschology as well...
    The first time I ever saw the movie The Wall was in music appreciation class my senior year of high school. The class was full of seniors who were there only because you had to take one music class to graduate so the teacher just showed us musicals and music related movies. It was kind of fun. We saw The Wall, Amadeus, West side story, Tommy, a few history of rock n roll documentaries and some others I don't recall right now. Toward the end of the semester the teacher ran out of movies so he would tape MTV and show it to us. (this was 1989 when MTv still showed videos)

Sorry to stray so far off topic.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

FORT Fogey
    The Pompie concert (as mentioned previously) is from the early 1970's when Syd Barret was still in the band. Most casual Floyd listeners wont recognize any of the songs and it is much, much different than later day Floyd. Syd of course later flipped out and left the band and was the subject of two of Pink Floyd's greatest hits - "Wish you Were Here" and "Sine on You Crazy Diamond".

I would liken the Pompei concert to early, early Genesis records, when Peter Gabriel was still in the band. That music is also unrecognizable to fans of later, Phil Collins driven Genesis, such as Abacab, There Must be Some Misunderstanding, Land of Confusion etc.

That being said, the Pompei concert might be a bit tideous and disappointing for fans not familiar with the early stuff or for fans wanting to see them play the later, more popular songs.

Sadly, there is no current DVD avail (that I am aware of anyway) that shows the original line-up playing the hits.

However, the good news is: both Roger Waters and David Gilmour have out "Live" DVD's where they both play a lot of the old hits.

Personally, I prefer the Roger Water's disc. It is top notch and the guitar player who takes the David Gilmour role is right on the money with both the guitar licks and the vocals. Close your eyes and its hard to tell the difference. For fellow shredders out there, he also plays guitar left-handed AND upside down not to mention.

The Roger Waters DVD contains all the stuff you could hope for, songs off of 'Dark Side of the Moon'(Money, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Time), 'Wish You Were Here'(Title Track, Shine On You Crazy Diamond), 'The Wall' (Another Brick in the Wall, Mother, Comfortably Numb) and many more, as well as later day stuff and Roger Water's originals. But the hits are the rub. Top Notch and played flawlessly.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Daddio; 11-25-2003 at 12:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast