+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ONE concert that stands out...

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia
    Gomez are cool...I love "Whippin Piccadilly" Now you made me go get my album out!! Haven't listened to it in yonks.
    Actually since I wrote that I've seen them two more times. There aren't many bands I would pay to see over and over but Gomez are one of them. To any music fans out there who yearn for more than what you hear on the radio all the time, I'd recommend them very highly.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Ok, I just realized that I completely ignored the "ONE" part of this thread. I honestly didn't see it, and I honestly wouldn't have been able to narrow it down to one concert. I hope that's okay
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

U2's Elevation Tour

During "Bad" Bono sang a snippet of "40" - I cried.
    Ludicrous speed!

Lea
    Best shows in the order I saw them- U2 Pop Mart Tour1996- Weird Al [Don't laugh it was a great show] Running With Scissors1999- Aerosmith Boys of Summer Tour 2003

Hmm, that's a tough one. I've seen (among others) AC/DC, Billy Squier, ZZ Top, Jackyl, Queen, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Neil Young, Linda Rondstadt, Bob Seger, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Faith No More, Frank Zappa, Nine Inch Nails and Dire Straits.

Most were truly awesome, but the Best concert I ever saw was David Bowie in 1984 - the Serious Moonlight tour. I loved that album. Tickets were sold out but my BF and I went anyway, and bought tickets for the princely sum of $25.00 apiece. I was scandalized that someone had the balls to charge that much for tickets.

The lights dimmed and we heard music but the stage was dark. A spotlight shown to the top of the stadium and we saw Bowie high in the air, sitting on a swing attached to a hot air balloon. He began singing Space Oddity and I was so moved I started crying. When the show was over he left the same way. Awesome!

ETA The Balloon was attached to a wire, so he didn't really float on down, it was guided...but still!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fan
    *ponders the thought* I can't name just one...

I've seen U2 4 times and each and every time they've been amazing!!!

2 concerts come to my mind off the top of my head...and this is by no means a ranking.

Smashing Pumpkins at the Metro in Chicago, circa 1994(1993??). The Pumpkins had just released "Siamese Dream" and were just starting to become a big name. The Metro is a small-ish rock club in Chicago, that used to be THE place to see a band. There is a balcony and a bar upstairs, and the stage is downstairs, with the viewing area being wider than it is deep, and you can get right up against the stage. I remember being at the will of the mob, moving to and fro along the base of the stage. The Pumpkins rocked the set, played all the songs from their new album, as well as everything from their first. Something I will never forget.

The other concert was Phish at Red Rocks in Colorado circa 1995. It was one of those magical summer concerts where you tailgate all day before the show in the parking lot, playing frisbee and hacky sack, imbibing on many beers and other substances, and just hanging out with good friends, and by good friends, I mean everyone else in the parking lot. I was with my girlfriend at the time, who was the love of my life to that point. As the mushrooms we ate kicked in, we hiked around the grounds to the other different lots, enjoying the vibrant reds and greens and the views of the plains and the foothills that are so majestic from Red Rocks. Just as we were starting to get really hungry, we walked by the area where, unbeknownst to us, a local radio station was setting up a promo area with food and free t-shirts. They invited us in--we were the first people to check out the spread of bagels, cream cheese, lox, veggies, and other goodies. And we both got shirts. The show itself was a blast, too. They played all sorts of great songs, the crowd was really into it, and in addition to the light show going on in the venue, there were huge thunderstorms out on the plains that were lighting up the night sky with lightning, but at a safe distance from us.

Wow, reflecting back on what I just wrote, the Phish show is my favorite concert ever. It brings tears to my eyes to even think about what a great time we had. Especially since about 2 years after, my girlfriend was killed in a car accident, and I will therefore always remember being at that show with her, enjoying life to the fullest.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Re: The ONE concert that stands out...

Seen too many to remember (even the next morning) but without a doubt:

Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse Of Reason Tour - 1988 in columbus, Ohio.

MRD

Re: The ONE concert that stands out...

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;1459821;
    I can narrow it down but can't make up my mind between these two...
    1) Queen, 1978-ish, when they released A Day at the Races
    Any time Queen performed they gave it 100% and put on a hell of a show.

2) The Rolling Stones, 1983 or '84 Steel Wheels Tour; one of the first tours after they cleaned up their act and got in shape after years of druggie/drunken excess... a truly great performance! I've still got my T-shirt from that one!
    Steel Wheels was in 89. I saw that tour as well, but in Tampa.

My number one would have to be Arlo Guthrie in 2005. Without a doubt best show I've ever seen. I went without high expectations. I liked Arlo, but wasn't a huge fan until after the show. He was just amazing.

The Stones and Van Halen together in Orlando, 1981 would have to be the next best.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123