+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can you play an Instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Wished I had join the band in high school.

For some reason, its not a very cool thing to do in some high schools (it wasn't where I went). I think that is sad. I don't understand why it is cooler to throw a ball, which you can do well for only about 10-20 years then it is to play an instrument, which you can play your whole life. I have nothing against sports, I just don't see why musical ability doesn't get the same respect.

When I was in high school, the quarterback blew out his arm and had to quit the football team. He was very depressed about not being in the game anymore and was looking for something to do. To make a long story short, he joined the band and learned to play Tuba. He ended up being amazed at how physical marching band turned out to be. He always said that band was harder in some ways than football. Specifically, it required more endurance. Football (this is his opinion, I've never played) required short bursts of energy and a marching band performance is about ten minutes of nonstop action. Obviously, you don't get tackled in m.b. or have to kick a ball a hundred feet. However, in footballyou don't have to carry a 40 lb instrument while you are running around the field. I think they are equally difficult in different ways.

BTW-I always that that the quarterbacks story would have made a cute movie We were even going to lose funding and he came and gave a rousing speech at a board meeting. How John Hughes is that?
    Last edited by Stargazer; 10-20-2003 at 10:23 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I am a professional freelance flutist and music teacher.

I also took piano for four years, and as a music education major I had to learn all band and orchestra instruments up to a junior high level. Lots of fun.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I played flute for about 2 years in grade school. I sucked.

I play a mean recorder, though. And my glockenspiel skills are second to none.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how hard I rock on the kazoo.

Wow, there are a lot of us flutists on here, aren't there?

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    I am a professional freelance flutist and music teacher.

I also took piano for four years, and as a music education major I had to learn all band and orchestra instruments up to a junior high level. Lots of fun.

I didn't graduate as a music major, so I didn't get that far. I did take basic brass and percussion, though. I actually learned quite a bit with basic brass. I could play fluglehorn pretty well.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby
    I was wondering how many of our FORT members play an instrument?
    I for one play the piano, lousy, but I play. I would love to be able to play the Piano Concerto by Grieg flawlessly but nope not me...

Anyhow what do you play? Singing counts too, your voice is an instrument as well...
    I play guitar and sing. I am a decent guitatr player but my singing leaves much to the imagination. LOL or so I think. But I enjoy singing when I play.

At the moment and play in a "fun band" with some friends. I play guitar and sing, my buddy plays drums, his wife sings, her brother plays guitar/keyboards/sax and sings and another friend of ours plays bass.

We mainly play at backyard and basement parties for friends and family and its always "open mic night" when we do. This means that there are always and extra mic or two plugged-in for anyone that wants to come up and sing a song.

Practice sessions are also always a "community effort" as you never know who is going to show-up and and bring their voice, their guitar, their hands, their tambourine...its always a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    For some reason, its not a very cool thing to do in some high schools (it wasn't where I went). I think that is sad.
    I agree. I don't think the high school I went to even has a marching band any more, if they do it's VERY small.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Obviously, you don't get tackled in m.b.(marching band)
    Not unless you play the accordion...

ducking and running

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    I play bass... well try to anyway..

I just started a few months ago though.. so I'm not that good

Not unless you play the accordion...

Well, I know that there is a very popular jazz band at my school.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast