+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can you play an Instrument?

I've played flute for 17 years. I played piccolo through high school and college marching band. Before that, I played piano from 5-10 years old. I've sang from birth

Very musical family here. My husband and I were both music majors when we met. He can play over a dozen instruments and sang in a cover band when I met him. Then we both switched majors, and his band went their seperate ways. We only played for enjoyment for the past few years. Now we are very excited because we are about to join a community orchestra that is being put together.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    Jynx - No, it isn't that hard to learn to play the violin as long as you practice and work hard. You just have to have a good teacher and make sure that you aren't learning things wrong to begin with. Trust me! It is so much harder to have to re-learn something because you're doing it wrong rather than learning it correctly the first time.

Yay for the violins! Most of the people I know play the piano, and well at that.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    I think girl drummers have a special kind of unique style and attitude. Just wanna tell all girl drummers, you all rock !
    I agree with that, female drummers just take a completely different approach, guy drummers like to hit it hard and fast. Whoa. That didn't sound right at all. lol

I play guitar and sing. I had 4 years of piano lessons and can sort of read sheet music to play melodies (within my vocal range at least), but my piano playing is far from being at performance level. (Of course it would help if I practiced more than 15 minutes a year.)

I also play the washboard sometimes in bluegrass jam sessions, and I play a MEAN kazoo!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Played the piano like crazy for 4 or 5 years, then quit about 6 months before taking my Gr. 10 performance and theory exams. All those harmony and counterpoint classes were driving me crazy! :mad

Still enjoy my Chopin, though. Nothing beats his waltzes and polanaises. 'Cept nowadays, I don't play him as often as I just put on a cd of Sokolov's.

Why torture myself with my shortcomings (or "noise", as Ma causes it), when I can listen with pleasure to a master?

I also started the erhu last year. It's a classic Chinese instrument, sort of like a 2-stringed, vertical fiddle. It has only about 3 octaves (unlike the piano, which is such a show-off ), but it's got a peculiar sound - melachonly, whinging. Its sound definitely has character.

I took it up mostly because I wanted to see if I could play the erhu classics I fell in love with. Plus, I grew enamoured with the tragic and romantic figure of blind A'Bin (erhu's pioneer and greatest virtuoso), and thought, "Well, if college doesn't work out, I could always become a street performer like he did, playing my erhu - an artist suffering poverty for the sake of her art!"

Yeah. Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    , "Well, if college doesn't work out, I could always become a street performer like he did, playing my erhu - an artist suffering poverty for the sake of her art!"

Yeah. Ahem.
    Hey, don't knock it till you tried it. One of my best friends was a jazz-studies major (yes, there is such a thing) and she spent a whole summer in New Orleans playing on the street. She made decent money and had the time of her life. The next year she spent six months on a cruise ship, playing with their jazz band. Now she just plays jazz clubs in the town where she lives. Basically, she is living the life all of us muscians have dreamed of from time to time.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Piano here. Nobody can top my chopsticks playing ability...
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    I can play the radio like a madman.
    Rock on!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    haejin - Exactly! I kinda felt bad at once for being the only one in the world who can't play the piano without ruining the instrument completely! Though, I guess I've found my talent (finally!) with stringed instruments! Hooray!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Even though I use the GG moniker here and was an English ed major, I went to college on a full music scholarship and that was my other major.

I've played the violin and piano since I was 8, but also play viola, cello, flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, saxophone, autoharp (lame, but true) and organ. I started to learn guitar in high school but never kept up. One of these days I'm going to get a pawn shop guitar and re-teach myself.

For those who are asking if violin is difficult, the advice to learn it the right way is right on target. Bad habits are hard to break! Having a good ear also helps since your intonation is all based on whether you can hear yourself being out of tune...kinda like singing...lol.

A sad but true fact - my violin is easily worth more than my current vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast