+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate pop songs

htp
    Quote Originally Posted by sinclair
    htp, If you're trying to figure out "what calling something a pop song really means" that says that you don't know, right? So... how can you think of "songs that represent the ultimate in pop songs" if you haven't defined what a pop song is? Or maybe you'll get the definition from the answers people give? Sorry if I'm being overly analytical
    I love analytical and your point is a good one. Please forgive me for using a ten cent word but I kind of like an inductive approach to problem-solving, coming up with a bunch of examples and seeing if a general rule follows. I wondered what came to people's mind when they think of '"pop music" and eldee's definition helps me narrow it down. I know Clay's upcoming CD has been criticized for not being edgy, but if you are going for a pop style is that part of the equation?

I'm 53, was into music in a big way since being a kid through my early 30s but honestly drifted away from top 40 or mainstream since then with the exception of artists such as Michael Jackson who were impossible to ignore and were performing when I was into popular music. I guess I wondered if what I thought of as pop is what others do as well and helps me put some of the comments aimed at Clay's music into perspective.

Incidentally, I am back into listening to "pop" to hear for Clay's songs on the radio. Not sure how long this will last, some good stuff out there but alot that's hard to listen too IMO.

I know I'm showing my age, but my younger son (15) wanted to hear a Michael Jackson's song that he head heard on a Simpson's episode. Not sure which song it was but I took out two MJ albums and proceeded to instruct him on how to use the record player. He had no clue. He even asked if the other side had music on it and it has been so long that I played an actual record, I had forgotten that you had to turn the dang thing over to remind myself !

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colby_d
    Obviously, being the King of Pop, Michael Jackson defines pop, but there's also, like bored said, bubblegum pop like Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, etc . . . but as far as Michael Jackson, I would say Black or White
    However, Michael Jackson is the self-proclaimed King of Pop. So basically, he gave himself that name! I don't think he's the king of anything.

I think 80's pop like the Bangles, Wham and the Go-Go's.

Quote Originally Posted by htp
    I know I'm showing my age, but my younger son (15) wanted to hear a Michael Jackson's song that he head heard on a Simpson's episode. Not sure which song it was but I took out two MJ albums and proceeded to instruct him on how to use the record player. He had no clue. He even asked if the other side had music on it and it has been so long that I played an actual record, I had forgotten that you had to turn the dang thing over to remind myself !
    I'm not too far behind you in the age department and I had to think for a second myself when I read that! 45's and LP's -- that's how I listened to music when I was a young'un The other day I reminded a coworker -- her 8 year old daughter is in love with Clay -- that Clay's "album" was coming out soon and she corrected me... "You mean CD"

I sometimes listen to Rick Dees Top 40 on Saturday mornings and I think I would consider most of those songs to be pop. Maroon5, Jason Mraz, Good Charlotte. What about Black Eyed Peas "Where Is The Love" ? A catchy song with a message. These artists would fit into other categories as well.

Isn't pop short for popular?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12