+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 95 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192939495 LastLast

Thread: What's the last CD you bought?

Premium Member

Re: What's the last CD you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3032009;
    I still have all my vinyl albums (and a working turntable, but I never play them) and one of my all time favorites that got a big workout was Rust Never Sleeps.
    I got rid of mine during one of our moves. I wish I would have kept all my Dan Fogelberg vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3032009;
    I still have all my vinyl albums (and a working turntable, but I never play them) and one of my all time favorites that got a big workout was Rust Never Sleeps.
    I have lotís of old vinyl & a new turntable to play it on, so I decided that since Iím going through these old issues of the Rolling Stone, that whenever one of my albums is mentioned, advertised, or otherwise reviewed, I would give it a spin & see what I have been missing all these years.

So with the latest issue I had the opportunity to get reacquainted with an album I bet I hadnít heard in 35 yearsÖ.Stonedhenge by Ten Years After. This album was advertised & has not been reviewed by RS yet.

All I can say is that it is an uneven album at best & probably why I havenít heard it in so long, but there are some really good things on it & there is a definite foretelling of where the band was headed & just how good they could become. According to the Liner Notes this was no rushed job, they actually spent 3 whole weeks in the studio working on it. 3 weeks in the studio now a days & they are still arguing over the first bars of the first song. This album is in stereo & really does sound good.

The Good:

Going To Try
    Woman Trouble
    Here Me Calling
    No Title - All of these 4 songs would have to be considered Blues Rock

Speed Kills - a semi Country flavor with some great guitar work by Alvin Lee & a train that goes from the right speaker to the left speaker & crashes when the speed gets to high to stay on the track.

Skoobly-Oobly-Doobob - This song is just Alvin soloing on the guitar & Scatting the vocal matching the picking note for noteÖreally good early Alvin Lee.

The Middle of the Road:
    A Sad Song - This has some very good instrumental work by all the guys, but at 8 Ĺ minutes in length, I would classify it as something that a bunch of junkies would listen too while getting extremely down. Not a bad song by any means, just really down..

And the Weird:
    I Canít Live Without Lydia - This is a piano solo played on 4 simultaneous pianos by Chick Churchill. I can really find no reason for it being included.

Three Blind Mice - Yes, that 3 blind mice, played as a tympani drum solo by Leo Lyons & ending with a big slurping sound that must be the cat eating the mice.

All in all though it was good to hear the album again.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3030516;
    Give him another listen, I actually hated almost everything he did on the show except for Trees and Creep. But he sounds absolutely amazing on his CD and no screaming anywhere. Jordis was my favorite in the competition but she doesn't sound that good on the CD. The one that blows you away? Is Suzie. WOW...just wow...and even JD (who I hated) has my favorite songs on that CD.
    Not surprised about Suzie. I remember when Suzie performed at one of the tapings for Rock Star Supernova, Paul from the House Band introduced her as the the person who should have won RS:INXS. Loved her on the show, loved her at the RS:Supernova taping and love the downloads I have from her.

I'm enjoying the brand fresh new Weezer Red Album. Giving it my first listening now as I type this, but so far so good.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Spirit-----Leona Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3038455;
    I'm enjoying the brand fresh new Weezer Red Album. Giving it my first listening now as I type this, but so far so good.
    I finished downloading the "Deluxe Version" of this album from iTunes on Tues, so I've had a couple of days with it. I am really enjoying it!! There are a couple of tracks I could live without, but they are mostly in the bonus material. I also wasn't expecting some of the slower tracks from them. Overall, I am very pleased - IMO, it is a more "lighthearted" sound than we have heard from them recently. Good job Weezer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3029853;
    Thanks for the book recommendation, too! Between all the Pulp and Suede I've been listening to, it should be a great read.
    Now you're talking my language

I've seen Pulp and Suede live numerous times and Different Class and His N Her's still get played to death in our house.
    Have You Seen Her Lately is my youngest son's favourite song. He's rather intense

The last CD I bought was These Streets by Paolo Nutini but after seeing The Cliks at the True Colours tour in Toronto last night I'm off to buy whatever of their catalogue I can find.
    "That's Numberwang!"

You've seen them both live? Sometimes I just think I was born in slightly the wrong place and time.

I'm not quite as familiar with His N' Hers, but I looked up "Have You Seen Her Lately," and your son has good taste! I'm glad you've raised them on good music early--saves time and trouble later.

Are "This is Hardcore" and "We Love Life" good? I think I'll be checking those out next.

At least a dozen live shows for both Pulp and Suede.
    You should definitely have been born in the UK, Manny. It's very easy to take in four or five stops on a tour, even on consequtive nights, which we have been known to do

His N Hers is probably my favourite, mainly because of Do You Remember the First Time? but definitely check out This is Hardcore and We Love Life.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I recently bought the Muse Haarp concert dvd.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread